MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to think what car to get in November, when I can afford to get something else. I want 4/5 doors, petrol, 0-60 in the 7-8.5 range, but good economy. Must be good to drive. I don't want something with too much power for the road, I'd rather drive something a bit slower but boot it more :)

I have been thinking Ford or BMW. Struggling with the new Ford range though, Fiesta is a bit too small, Mondeo is huge, Focus is right size but doesn't look quite right to me. Shame because the new 1.6T Zetec-S sounds good.

With the BMW's I'd get one a few years old. 1-Series and 5-series are not too badly priced but the 3 is dearer. I like the 3 the best, typical. The other problem with the 3 is finding a decent petrol. Older 320i's are slow and the newer ones are very rare - they're all diesel. 325's and 330's are decent prices when they're older but a bit thirsty and the tax discs are dear. 130i a possibility.

The Golf GT 1.4TSI looked like a good option but then there is a lot to go wrong with an engine like that. The GTi is expensive. Checked out the Audi A3 2.0T but that might not be very good to drive. I really like the new Merc C class but they are silly money and make the 3 series look cheap.

Getting a bit stuck here, anything else I should look at!?

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why not diesel ?
Drove quite a few in the 90's when my dads work switched over to diesel and I just don't like them, I like top end power. Also hate having smelly hands from filling up at the petrol station. Nah, not for me :)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I am starting to think what car to get in November,
ZS180.

I should read the rest of your post maybe :p
edit: the tsi is very impressive in the fabia vrs. CLose enough to 180 performance that I want some sidebyside road tests. My dad is getting 45 mpg on a short commute driving like an old man.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
MG6?

You'd be part of a very exclusive club - I've seen more Lambos, Astons, Ferraris etc on the road than the 6! :lol:

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
The new 2 litre beemer diesel puts out 240+ bhp and excellent fuel economy too. Avoid any bmw four pot. Timing chain issues are huge.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My last car was a new shape Bravo. Stylish, quick, reliable (for Fiat) I loved it. Had to sell it due to debt problems, but I highly recommend them.

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
I would have a look and test drive in the new Skoda Fabia vRS 1.4TSI.
They are meant to be pretty good as long as you don't tune them as the engine is pretty much maxxed out as a 180ps.

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do like the Mazda's, decent cars. The new 6 is smart but I don't think there is a good petrol engine. The new shape 3 MPS is nice looking.

Interesting to see a few people like the Fabia TSI, personally I don't like the latest Skoda cars I think the design it too fussy but the cars and the engines are good. Maybe I should look at the pre-facelift Octavia vRS.

The Bravo is interesting I have a soft spot for them. Had a brochure a few years ago with a metallic red 150bhp model with big wheels and it was a cracking looking car but the reviews say they are not that great to drive.

MG6 - hmm. When they are really tarted up e.g. white paintwork with stripes and big wheels then they start to look ok. I have no issues with the interior, but I have to think money, and they are a dangerous car to buy from a money point of view.

What about getting a bargain on a Focus ST (they are not dear 2nd hand) and just taking the hit on fuel? It could still be cheaper than shelling out for a much more expensive car.

I drive a 2004 1.25 Fiesta at the moment, and I have to say it's an amazing drive for a budget supermini. Feels peppy and is effortless to drive.

I thought there might be more Ford fans out there :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not a massive ford fan anymore after bad experiences with my focus.

Have you thought about Alfa's? Alfa have really massively improved in the last few years, and the 159/Brera/Guiletta are all stunning cars with superb engines. Not to mention you can pick a decent one up for nothing.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
There's very few new cars that appeal to me right now cause they all look the same to me. But off the top of my head I like the Golf R32 , Top end 3 Series (got turned off Beemers after the 1990 restyle, but now the new shape is looking good again) and the Fabio VrS 1.4 (just for being different! But only in the green and black scheme). Can't afford any of them right now, so I'm just dreaming.

·
Registered
59 Posts
the latest fiat punto abarth evo is a nice car very nippy pushing 130bhp from 1.4T 16v, interior is nice although there are little bits that are a bit nasty buld wise.
I test drove one about three months ago it did make me smile slightly when planting the right foot

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not a massive ford fan anymore after bad experiences with my focus.

Have you thought about Alfa's? Alfa have really massively improved in the last few years, and the 159/Brera/Guiletta are all stunning cars with superb engines. Not to mention you can pick a decent one up for nothing.
What happened with the Focus?

Funny you should say about Alfa's I was looking at a white 159ti at a local garage the other day and what a stunning car. I think it was expensive though. The Guiletta would be spot on for me, right size, 5 doors, but they have not got great reviews for being a drivers car.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
What about a leon fr its got the five doors you need and they go and look well . Or if money isnt to much of a problem dorian and cupra k1 there amazing

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 26 Posts