MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
POL Group/MG ZR Owners/MG ZS Owners Club
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as title what brake pads are best for the ZS180, should i go for OE ones or EBC Green or Mintex. i want to change front and rear so what should i go for with OE discs

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
It really depends how hard you drive the car.

The O/E spec mintex are said to be good.
However I wanted a bit more so have EBC yellow stuff, I wouldn't bother with the greens as they aren't much better than O/E.

I also had groved discs but made the mistake of getting unbranded ones.

To get my MOT sorted I have ended up with O/E spec at the rear asnd EBC yellow/groved discs at the front, the car definatly dives a bit more than it was as the fronts are now stronger than the rears.

As soon as the weather improves Mrs TC will end up with some nice O/E spec discs or her ZR as I get some new groved discs.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so if i wanted to change the discs all round aswell as the pads what would you recommend EBC yellow pads front and rear, what about discs whose would you choose matey

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
EBC both for discs and pads,
I wouldn't use CRN discs again.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Ebc disks and pads have never failed me.

I use dimple and grooved on race car with yellow or blue pads depending on events.

I use ebc discs oem & ebc black stuff (oem) on ZSTD (its a motorway car)

I would go for the yellow pads front and rear as a great combination I used these on my 190 ZT great fun from cold and never fail.

Would you like some prices?

Pete

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Good thing about MGR OE is that you get all the anti-squeal shims . . .

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I've used both mintex and EBC black stuff pads on my previous 180's and found them both very good. I had pagid pads on my Civic which I thought were quite good too.

I have heard that the green stuff pads make a lot of dust and wear a bit quicker, but that is purely from stories I've read on forums rather than personal experience.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I got shims with my yellow stuff.

Apparently they've changed the formula of the green stuff so you get less dust.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
I got shims with my yellow stuff.

Apparently they've changed the formula of the green stuff so you get less dust.
I changed my pads just before Xmas, the OEM rear pads were rediculously expensive at the time so decided to try the green stuff all round.

Can't tell anything about the dust, the wheels get covered in muck from the road every time I take it out!

They came with fabric shims stuck to the back - at least I think that they were shims, seem to work fine, without added shims, although I think they take slightly longer to warm up to working temp than the OEM ones - they seem a little less agressive if you haven't used them for a while.

I've had the Rossini discs sold by Rimmers on the car for over a year now and they are also working well - I was hoping the better quality metal might rust less than the OEM ones and while they do still rust when they get wet, they have not yet suffered the bad pitting on the rear ones that I had with the original discs. Ohh, and they are British made too.

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well changed the fronts today for mintex pads £22.50 from my local car parts car was fine then the brake wear indicator came back on, so must be the rear pads need doing aswell, does the ZS 180 have brake wear indication warning light on the dash cause that has just come on, thought it was only the fronts that activated the warning light on the dash.

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
well changed the fronts today for mintex pads £22.50 from my local car parts car was fine then the brake wear indicator came back on, so must be the rear pads need doing aswell, does the ZS 180 have brake wear indication warning light on the dash cause that has just come on, thought it was only the fronts that activated the warning light on the dash.
It is . . . well it is on my MK2, the rears have a strip of steel that makes a horrible noise on the rears when they have worn down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts