MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Now in a 3
4,042 Posts
I think for "keeping at bay" read "holding up".
Sorry but even Windy wouldn't put a 6 and a 911 in the same category.
Just because someone isn't stoopid enough to overtake on the "twisties" doesn't make their car slower or inferior.
Well, I did write a scathing response but then thought hay-ho, I don't really care what you think, I'm happy with the purchase, got a good deal and not regretted it one bit. Also thinking about buying a 3 when that's released.

People thought I was mad to buy two zs180's, tarted up 45, but we all know better, now if I had bought a 120 then that would have been bonkers!

· Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Well, I did write a scathing response but then thought hay-ho, I don't really care what you think, I'm happy with the purchase, got a good deal and not regretted it one bit. Also thinking about buying a 3 when that's released.

People thought I was mad to buy two zs180's, tarted up 45, but we all know better, now if I had bought a 120 then that would have been bonkers!
Why scathing?

Not having a go at all, just that there's no way a 6 and a 911 are in the same league and you're seriously deluding yourself if you do think that.
Pretty much everyday I have a Bentley behind me - does that make my £5k Suzuki a better car than a £150k+ GT?

No need for the insults re the 120 though, besides, aren't you now just driving round in a cheap (well, not so cheap), Chinese, 120 knock off?
In 10 years the only major problem was hgf (despite the protestations of MGJohn elsewhere, yes, they do all do that!), please do report back in 2022 to let us know how your Roewe is doing.

· Registered
1,099 Posts
these kind of debates are pointless, firstly we have no idea what 911 it was, if it was an air cooled one from the 60's / 70's then I'd believe it, if it was a turbo from the 80's and the roads where damp then I'd believe it. If it was one from the 90's onwards then sorry, he wasn't trying or it was a covin beetle based kit.

I've had a spirited days driving the mountain passes here with a mate and his 911 gt3, on the twisties I destroyed him in the 180, why? because his car was so low his splitter hit the ground and he didn't want to rip it off (again), a carbon fibre front splitter for a gt3 is a serious amount of money. of course on the flats and on the autobahns he left me for dead, seriously, it felt like I was in reverse.

· It's a big fan
3,215 Posts
these kind of debates are pointless, firstly we have no idea what 911 it was, if it was an air cooled one from the 60's / 70's then I'd believe it, if it was a turbo from the 80's and the roads where damp then I'd believe it. If it was one from the 90's onwards then sorry, he wasn't trying or it was a covin beetle based kit.

I've had a spirited days driving the mountain passes here with a mate and his 911 gt3, on the twisties I destroyed him in the 180, why? because his car was so low his splitter hit the ground and he didn't want to rip it off (again), a carbon fibre front splitter for a gt3 is a serious amount of money. of course on the flats and on the autobahns he left me for dead, seriously, it felt like I was in reverse.
You might of done better with an MG6 than your 180 despite the extra weight, NASP cars don't do so well in the low air pressure of your high mountain passes, a turbo can make a big difference up there.

· Still not cured of MG addiction
7,087 Posts
Seriously?
I'd think the 911 was ill or not trying tbh
Yes. Or maybe the 911 driver valued his license more seeing as it was a public road.

That youtube link made me laugh, I like a good Downfall video :)

I cannot believe you have to remove the key and re-insert it to restart from a stall. If I understand that right, that's really dumb. We have a 1-series with the same sort of fob, and you just press the start button which is how it should be.

· Still not cured of MG addiction
7,087 Posts
Apparently a few years ago JC was asked by Roache Bentley from the MG Owners Club to write an article for Enjoying MG for which he did then a while after he was asked to write another only the second time he copied someone elses text & submitted it to MGOC. Mr Bentley I understand was less than impressed & they fell out & JC didn't get paid. Ever since then he never had a good thing to say about MG or as we know MG-Rover.
Now I don't know if this is 100% correct but I was told it by an MGOC Member who is not of the mentality to make up rubbish.
But he just wouldn't be petty enough to start taking it out on a manufacturer and their cars because of a fallout with an owners club.

On the stalling issue, read here:
http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/cars/mg-cars/mg6/blog-one-year-on-well-30-months-on/
It clearly says (in a positive article):
Additionally, Ian Pogson spent another hour updating the ECU with a recently improved map to eliminate the stalling on setting off in first gear that many experience with the drive-by-wire throttle and also cleaned up the earth points that seem to have plagued a few cars causing sat-nav and cruise-control problems.
So he probably started driving the car, and would have given it an average rating except it stalled on him a few times and it wasn't obvious how to restart it, so he ended up looking a major idiot in the street. And for that it got a bad review, which seems reasonable to me.

· It's a big fan
3,215 Posts
Kripes just read the review - http://www.driving.co.uk/clarkson/mg/mg6/the-clarkson-review-mg6-magnette/11796

That's a few nails in the coffin.
I'm still trying to work out how he got his drink into the cup holder while it was folded away so that it could "when you push the button your drink leaps out onto your passenger’s leg" :confused:

And he still hasn't realised that it had a stop start system and was supposed to stall at the traffic lights, or that to use the key to start the car you first have to take it out of gear instead of just pressing the clutch...

· Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Heard this one before, but is it just on the s and se models?

I am 6'1" and miles away from the roof, although in the passenger seat I do feel like I'm perched up high.
It is worse on Se but I didnt think it was hugely better in the TSE TBH.I am 6'2" and it felt like I had to duck to see out. Shame as in all other ways the interior of the 6 feels a lot bigger than the ZS

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.