MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mechanic in disguise!
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive noticed the past couple of days that when i get upto about 50 and over that my front end seems a bit wandery and will sort of pull to the left and to the right of its own accord :irked:

ive tried the usual things of checking wheel nuts and tyre pressures but its still the same, its just wierd that before this started i could drive with one hand loosely on the wheel and it would stay straight, but now i constantly feel like im having to correct the steering, like im driving on rough roads even though the road is smooth, if you know what i mean?

anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I had a similar problem with the wife's Rav4, it felt like it was 'squirming' from side to side and on one road I could let go of the wheel and it would pull right over the lines, then back left, then back right and then left again.

I took it to Toyota who did a 4 wheel alignment on it (3 attempts at the tracking made no difference) and said it still pulled left. Then they swapped the wheels over and it pulled right so they put the fronts on the back and that did the trick. They also said the budget tyres that were on there could be the cause. I now have 4 new Continentals and now it pulls left and the steering wheel is off centre so need to take it back again!

·
Mechanic in disguise!
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a similar problem with the wife's Rav4, it felt like it was 'squirming' from side to side and on one road I could let go of the wheel and it would pull right over the lines, then back left, then back right and then left again.

I took it to Toyota who did a 4 wheel alignment on it (3 attempts at the tracking made no difference) and said it still pulled left. Then they swapped the wheels over and it pulled right so they put the fronts on the back and that did the trick. They also said the budget tyres that were on there could be the cause. I now have 4 new Continentals and now it pulls left and the steering wheel is off centre so need to take it back again!
Aaaaah, think you maybe onto something here! thats just how mine feels!

My next step was to get the tracking done but maybe it could be the tyre issue as well. Im currently running kumho's all round and cant see any real evidence of uneven wear but im still gonna get the tracking done and will be swapping my wheels front to back this weekend!!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
does it want to pull you into the kerb when your braking? sounds like you might have a bush out on one your wishbones? If you can get it up in the air and get a bar in there and give everything a good old bit of leverage to see if anythings moving.

My mates bushes went on his ZT and it even got through an MOT like it. Took it to his local tyre fitters and got it up on the ramps and rear wishbone bushs had completely sheared through. worth a look.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Aaaaah, think you maybe onto something here! thats just how mine feels!

My next step was to get the tracking done but maybe it could be the tyre issue as well. Im currently running kumho's all round and cant see any real evidence of uneven wear but im still gonna get the tracking done and will be swapping my wheels front to back this weekend!!
The Rav4's tyres had even wear but were all right down to the wear bars. They had Fulder's on the front and Toyo's (I think) on the rear.

·
Mechanic in disguise!
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does it want to pull you into the kerb when your braking? sounds like you might have a bush out on one your wishbones? If you can get it up in the air and get a bar in there and give everything a good old bit of leverage to see if anythings moving.

My mates bushes went on his ZT and it even got through an MOT like it. Took it to his local tyre fitters and got it up on the ramps and rear wishbone bushs had completely sheared through. worth a look.
It doesnt just pull me one way, it just feels like it wants to pull me both ways!

Its hard to explain but if i let go of the wheel, its a 50/50 chance if it'll pull me left or right, and i experienced it coming home tonight, that when im doing over 50, and 70 is worst, that the front end fels like its being lifted and the tyres dont have full on grip with the road and it wanders slightly. There is also a feeling that the steering is "over" sensitive!!

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
what pressure you got in your tyres? and how old are they? but like andy said above try swapping the wheels over

·
Mechanic in disguise!
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tyres were at 32 but i dropped em down to 30, may go down bit further, dunno. Theyre arent that old, still got loads on them, think the guy i ought the car off only just had them fitted and that was bout 6 month ago

·
4,803 Posts
dont go down put more in, i had to run some nankangs at 38 as it felt like the walls were folding under when driving

·
Mechanic in disguise!
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah ok, my bad, i thought i would have to go down, ill put em up to bout 36 and see how that goes.

Weather permitting ill get under the front end at the weekend and see if everything looks ok.

Could fubared drop links cause this feeling?

·
4,803 Posts
can do, but i would put money on that its the tyres at fault

·
Mechanic in disguise!
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The thing that confuses me though is how they can suddenly "go wrong" after months of ok driving??

I really do hope its the tyres as i dont wanna have to start throwing money at suspension parts to find the problem :err:

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
The thing that confuses me though is how they can suddenly "go wrong" after months of ok driving??

I really do hope its the tyres as i dont wanna have to start throwing money at suspension parts to find the problem :err:
Yes, I agree it does sound like your tyres. Maybe you are losing air in a tyre or have a slow puncture? Put some air in at the beginning of the week and check it at the end maybe a good idea. :)

·
Mechanic in disguise!
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, think i found the problem, left work tonight and put 36 in each tyre and my usual "high speed" dual carriageway journey felt sooooo much more stable!

but the main cause for concern now is it looks like ive got a slow puncture in my passenger front tyre :( drivers was 30, passenger was 23

more money to be spent on the car! lol

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
but the main cause for concern now is it looks like ive got a slow puncture in my passenger front tyre :( drivers was 30, passenger was 23
Had to have one of mine resealed a few weeks ago, guy at garage said its common for MGR ones to start leaking round the rim. Only dropped between half and one psi per day but a pita on a car sometimes not used for a month.

·
Registered
795 Posts
My rear nearside tyre keeps losing pressure ever so slowly with no signs of a puncture so I guess it needs resealing unless the valve is leaking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts