MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I cant make my mind up if I would buy one or not . Its a lot of car for the money but it just seems to be a little behind ford, Vauxhall and the likes for engine efficiency . I know a few people who have bought one and they say the mpg is no were near what mg claim . It also seems a little slow for a 1500 power plant and the emmissions are not that great so you wont be getting cheap road tax like you would with say the fiesta or corsa mind you it will still be a lot cheaper than my 180 lol. If you can live with that yeah I would deffo have one they look cool and seem to be put together well its just this power thing I have a problem with just like the mg6 great car but not so good performance for a mg .

·
Now in a 3
4,092 Posts
Yes!
had one twice as courtesy car for service and one for a week when i had the lpg done.
i also own a 1.2 panda and very recently had the joy of a 1.2 fiesta. MG3 absolutely mullers these in every way apart from economy.
spec a fiesta to the same and it would be 5k to 6k more. how much fuel and tax does that buy?

and the mg3 is a hell of a lot more FUN!

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Love my 3 but it'll never take the place of the ZS as No 1!

·
Passionate about MGR.Cars.
4,082 Posts
Would you buy a "3"?
I would if they were do a model with a Turbo & a little more styling/trim options.

There was a guy at MG's In the Park who has a 6 & his wife a 3. I mentioned the engine & he said once the car got to 1000 miles it loostened up a lot & gives well over 40 MPG & he said his wife doesn't hang about!

·
Lighten up dude
1,154 Posts
Popular on Guernsey... 33 sold this year so far according to Carrus (dealer). Perfect for an island with narrow (and twisty) roads. The dealer is a former auto-sport competitor and is adamant they are not slow as some reviews suggest although he admits the 1.5 is thrashy and the fuel consumption isn't great. With the handling being good and prices (here) starting at just over £7K its been a surprising hit with older drivers also - small, 5 door, nippy, cheap(ish) to run.

The dealer is desperate for an auto versions (says he could sell loads) and a turbo on the 1.5 which may come if sales do well across the UK.

P

:)

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Hi Jerry:)

Nice to see you are still around.

Regarding the "3" Give one a try :dddc:

What's in your Garage now? Anything Exotic?

·
Passionate about MGR.Cars.
4,082 Posts
I'm kinda thinking about getting an MG3 for next March (15reg), not sure yet though but if they introduce a model fitted with a Turbo that will make my decision much easier. My ST2 Fiesta is good fun but as we sold the Range Rover & that being the main car my missus finds the Fiesta far too hard though I knew that at purchace but the ST was only supposed to be our fun car. I think the snob value of the Range Rover Evoque is making her grumpy.
I am thinking of the 3 simply to reduce even further car expenditure.

£1000 deposit for the top model which is nearly 1/3 of what I put down on the ST (including a £500 deposit allowance from Ford) & still £100 a month cheaper. Ok that was for 3 years & I am on 2 so not bad really. I would just personalise it to make it look a little more interesting!

·
Lighten up dude
1,154 Posts
I'm kinda thinking about getting an MG3 for next March (15reg), not sure yet though but if they introduce a model fitted with a Turbo that will make my decision much easier. My ST2 Fiesta is good fun but as we sold the Range Rover & that being the main car my missus finds the Fiesta far too hard though I knew that at purchace but the ST was only supposed to be our fun car. I think the snob value of the Range Rover Evoque is making her grumpy.
I am thinking of the 3 simply to reduce even further car expenditure.

£1000 deposit for the top model which is nearly 1/3 of what I put down on the ST (including a £500 deposit allowance from Ford) & still £100 a month cheaper. Ok that was for 3 years & I am on 2 so not bad really. I would just personalise it to make it look a little more interesting!
Hi

They have 5 or 6 on the forecourt here and white looks the best to my eye - maybe with the motor sport type twin blue stripes across the bonnet and roof unless that seems a bit too Ford. The metallics and darker colours dont seem to catch the lines although the cyan metallic blue looks well.

I have asked my local dealer Carrus to consider the possibility of cold air induction and a big bore exhaust(s) - i.e. they to source / fabricate this on a 3 and look at the engine mapping to accommodate as a kind of a future garage option using me as a guinea pig. If they (can) go for it with something that looks realistic (on price/performance) I will push on with a 3 now.

I will post if they come up with anything.

P

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
If I was looking for something small and fun for around £10k I would seriously consider one, although I have yet to see one on the road.

·
MG ZS180 MKII 5 Door
207 Posts
I am really enjoying my wife's MG3.

Very solid and practical motor with good presence on the road.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
A Renault Twingo for work ( basically a smart car ) It ticked the box's, cheap running costs and was only doing small mileage and a f for the weekend.. Will be doing 10k a year on mainly country roads so want something a little bigger...

·
MG ZS180 MKII 5 Door
207 Posts
The MG3 is a bit bigger but worth a look.

Enjoy looking and make sure you get a good deal!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts