MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in the paper today that *** have increased the prices of their range by 1%,this means that an entry level 316i now costs £18,635,and you dont even get a radio!.I,m sorry , but you have to be seriously deranged to pay that for a poverty spec car,even if you have been brainwashed into thinking it's the best brand money can buy,not for me it aint.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
This is something that WE all know, but the general public are still under the misapprehension that there is something special about ***s. If only some of them would call at an MGR dealership before spending their money.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Why??

I have often wondered why many ***'s and indeed some other German cars such as the cross-dressed Golf, the tiTTy, sell better in this country than in their native land (Or indeed the rest of the world). And we pay over the top for them, too. Actually, if you want to leave a tiTTY driver bemused, tell them the about the fact it's built in Hungary.
Either we know something they dont, or there is a catastophic triumph of style over substance here.:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I happen to currently own both an MG ZT-T and an Audi TT Roadster. I know that the TT is (very well) made in Hungary. In my recent experience, VAG cars I have owned which have been assembled outside Germany (TT, Toledo) have had better build and reliability than those made in Germany (Golf Mk3, old A4). Also, the TT drives very differently to the other cars sharing its platform, and cannot be realistically compared to a Golf (or Octavia/Toledo/Leon/Beetle/Bora/A3).

The TT is stylish, fast and easily tuned. The only real downside to TT ownership is they are gettting to be a common sight now...

G

·
The problem is that the motoring press say that ***'s best selling cars (3&5 series) are the best in their respective classes and us Brits as a whole believe what we read in the press!
We all know this isn't how it is, but badge snobbery (and a not inconsiderable amount of ignorance) by a large percentage of the population means that there will always be a good market for German cars in this country.
We all want MGR to be a success, but how much do we want every other car we see (or so it seems with ***'s!) to be the same as the one we're driving??
As for the TT, i see more of them round here than MGF's these days!.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
My Mum who lives in Australia (where I was born) is under the impression that ***s and Mercedes are very expensive, exclusive, luxurious cars - it just goes to show that it is the impressions of the public that make these cars what they are.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Nope but Holden Commodores are souped up Vauxhalls darling :D

Dad owned a few - current one is a 3.8 litre I think....standard spec over there! :D :D

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
No, Mum complained that it had got up to the dollar mark per litre a few months back - not sure what it's like at the moment.

That's equivalent of about 35p per litre, although I don't think earnings are quite as much over there so it probably makes up for it.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Whilst out on the 'Northern Run' yesterday I got stuck behind a car on a couple of occasions. Both ***s. I thought that they were supposed to be fairly quick, well not compared to us they weren't.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts