MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visit to Longbridge - "Body in White" - "CAB1" - "Visitor Centre"

Today two members of this Forum visited the "British" car company at Longbridge and had an outstanding day. More on the main site. The report requires further refinement. Click Here
Just would like to thank MGR for the insight into mass production manufacturing of Great British Cars. :D

NB. The Visitor Centre is in effect a "Works Reception Centre" and Mock showroom. Appointments are necessary.
NBB. For those that missed this unique opportunity don't worry. A further visit was promised for members of THIS FORUM later in the year. Maybe a good idea to wait so we can see the XPower ZT385 being built! Anyone interested?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable day at Longbridge and even more pleased about the positive vibes coming out of MGR :)

I've been on this type of tour around the factory before and would recommend it to any car enthusiast. I would be up for a visit next time with you. :)

·
Which one shall I drive today?
6,507 Posts
I'd come if it was on a Saturday. would make a nice day out for a car mad son who wants to be a mechanic.

·
Registered
296 Posts
hmmmm, could be a winner, and I could always try to tote my wares ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I now work at rover within the tyre bay, i am about 400yards away from the main gate (q gate) so if you tell me when the next tour is arranged for il come and meet you :)

I get to see all of the mg tf's,zt's,zr's and zs's roll of the production line, i also got to see the zr/25 rally car come off there on thursday afternoon :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please count me in also for a visit to the MGR Factory. The last time I visited was Cowley, arranged by John Dalton, to see the last Maestro come off the production line.
I would love to visit Longbridge and the ZED production line.

Keep me posted many thanks

Mark;)

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
I was on the that visit to Cowley, we actually missed last Maestro by about a week :-( Saw the Montego line and the MGRV8 being built!!

Kelvin

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
I'd also rather it was at a weekend although I could take a days holiday if it was during the week - However, I'm kind of limited on holiday days at the moment - I have 2 days left, and one of those is for getting the spoiler extensions done.

Will have to try and arrange something with the boss I guess.. :)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Will have to try and arrange something with the boss I guess..
Are you being cheeky or did you mean 'the boss' as in your boss at work? :confused:

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Kelvin, that's what I thought....

Nat, no I meant my work boss. If I had meant you, I would have said I'll have to ask the BOSS. Capital letters = much more important!)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did a Longbridge tour back in the *** days saw 200's (new then) and 400's being built. Phoned before Phoenix to be told that tours had been suspended. Asked several times since , so very pleased they're up and running again. Would be very interested to go again. But can only go in school holidays.

PETE

Rover 620
ZR 120

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kelvin

I remember the Montegos also. If I remember correctly, the last Maestro had a few bits of trim missing as they had run down the production line.

Can't wait to visit again. Maybe see you there, if it happens??

Mark
:D

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The Monty's and Maestro's end their days being handbuilt in the old Pressed Steel plant, now the home of the BMiniW, after the old QT block was levelled, and orders were still in when *** pulled the plug on them - The Clubman 2.0 Diesel Maestro was a big hit and very popular amongst caravanners, and IIRC the Monty had a good run of 2.0 saloons to complete. This is why it's not impossible to see M Reg examples of both.
When a car is scheduled to end it's production life, or before an upgrade, it goes into a cycle called "Run out" - Typically around 5,000 B4 the last one. It is not impossible for sums to be got wrong as regards components, and/or urgent shortages to be satisfied in the aftermarket. These would be fitted on the rectification lines.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i would be up for it !

would luv to go and have a gander around the place !

have to have abit of notice though as to arrange time of work etc .

but yeah keep us informed jerry

:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK.

"I'm sure we would all like to see the RWD V8's being made?" Also, the guys have to take their Summer break factory shutdown - I would say to meet the V8 objective October maybe a good month! :D Will ask the question when relevant.

PS. Unfortunately, it will have to be a weekday!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts