MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
pricey
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have the nasty rattling noise after looking it up on here I followed this thread http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=31504 and tried to re solder the broken solders only to find they looked fine,so I re soldered them anyway and put it all back together unfortunately this didn't sole my problems, If I run the engine without the vis in place their is no rattle :/ what is the next stage ? Will I have to replace the whole thing?

·
pricey
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh probably best I just dint want to waste money on new ones and it's not the problem :/ I think it's only the power one need replacing

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Find someone near you and try their good one in.:)

·
pricey
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone neer Norwich lol?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Sounds like the plenium, fitting a good one with a broken plenium may knacker the good one.

Plenty second hand ones ebay (usually knackered or with burnt out vis)

There are still are a few left new in stock if you would like a new one we can do a special rate
for forum members as we do with vis valves.

New vis valves £135 a set (power & Vis)
New plenium £395 each (includes new vis valves)

I will only send insured due to value, postage will depend on your location.

The stock of these items is falling and before long there will be no more.

I have bought a couple of sets for my racing ZS to have on the shelf.

PM me for details

Pete

·
pricey
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How hard is it to fit the whole thing? Easy enough for average Joe?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hi. I wanna ask if I have catch tank/crank vented to atmosphere a fit new inlet manifold will it rattle again after a time?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Oil re curculating in plenium cause great debate on here, it helps lubricate the part in manifold, but also can sludge up the manifold.

My own view if catch tanks were the answer the car would have them from the factory.

All cars with variable intake systems suffer similar problems as the internals are built on price and there fore the plastics get brittle and break.

·
Registered
559 Posts
ok so buing new vis/inlet is waste of money then? It could happened that new inlet manis will last for year and than new one is neccesary? What about sheddist replacement ? was it ever been used by someone and tested? (or no one is enought brave to test it?)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
ok so buing new vis/inlet is waste of money then? It could happened that new inlet manis will last for year and than new one is neccesary? What about sheddist replacement ? was it ever been used by someone and tested? (or no one is enought brave to test it?)
New vis valves is not a waiste of money if the manifold is not rattaling, however the manifold assemberly is treated as a consumable and has a mileage range.

Rover would plug car on T4 if vis fault code comes up you get new vis valves.

If you go to them with a rattaling plenium you get a new plenuim.

Almost the same design of inner butterflies as on the Fiat cdti engine which saab and GM use these do a plenium every 69K as the ball and sockets inside are plastic and wair out.

Bare in mind all cars are designed to the last 3 years and 60K only as after that dealers and manufactures are not interested. So parts are desinged on a price which is half the problem. This goes of interior to engine parts. Go and have a look at Rover Tomcat Turbo the leather inside will be mint, then go and look at a MK2 ZS/R/T the seats will be falling apart. When Honda owned MGR you got much better materials used. However BAE Systems and BMW did not the and the pheonix 4, well dont get me started project drive..... robbing $%^£$$$% comes to mind.

New plenium comes with new vis valves and cheapest on the web is 485, we are offering them at less as we are not looking to make a profit, I cover my fuel to drive 200 miles to collectec and a tenner for my trouble, thats why I always try and bulk orders.

To be fair I get feed up of this place as people whitter on and moan about costs.

We do the same with brakes and cams and itg, as a small race team we dont get good terms due to size of our business but we pass as much on as we can, but the amount of people that I can save 2 quid form another supplier. Thats fine but when they are creaming you for profit then so be it.

Rant over.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have no problem of buying new inlet but , i makes me sad when it happens again because my car sounds like a tractor. And if I buy new no one can say
,, yes it will last min. 40 000miles ´´ then I say ok, but I saw few kv6 inlet going to haven after 20 000miles and that´s one maybe two seasons. And that makes me thinking if someone can made new arm with butterflyes from another material than plastic. (here in my country maybe price will be same 400-500euros but it can last forever or until VISs dies.) but thats another threat and also crucial testing because when anything goes wrong new engine needed (1200euros)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I put a new manifold on my race car 4 years ago and it has done around 4000hours race time with no issues at all. This year again the car will be rebuilt with new belts and water and oil pump but we have never taken heads off as compression is a1 and are regs require standard oe spec so no proting which is a shame. The KV6 is a great engine lazy reving but great torque.

I only use fully synthetic race oil which is changed every 2 events the venting/breathing of engine is standard.

As with all engines good oil is key.

I can see no issue with running a new manifold and they should last 60K depending on conditions and filtration used in the car.

I hope that helps

Pete

·
Registered
559 Posts
thanks pete. I´ve made few days back crank ventilation to atmosphere and custom air intake. Just need to sort inlet manifolds. My car is rattly like hell it has 72 000km on clock and it started around 65 000km.

·
pricey
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New inlet has been fitted the zs is finally sounding nice again, thanks Pete :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
So I was with my friend with zs180 mk1 this weekend. His car has good VIS/inlet + rear exhaust changed for unknown brand. I have mk2 with air intake and not working inlet manis. We try to make comparison in acceleration. So we go from 2nd gear 25mph. Result is: faster is that one who hits trottle sooner. Also I noticed that in low revs his car was faster , but my was better in high revs. (maybe due to air filter in inner wing for me). We made 6 runs and finish was 3:3. So. If I have a working inlet I would be faster. Next step is to try a guttered inlet manis on my car.

·
pricey
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I noutused a difference mainly in the low end, I'm just glad to get rid of the infuriating rattling sound

·
Registered
559 Posts
The reason you'll feel the difference in the low end is because the VIS/plenum set up has done its work by 4350rpm. Assuming that the VIS has failed and left everything in the open setup, of course.

I know this graph, I only wanted to see direct comparison between functional/non functional inlet...(it shows when you reving engine from 4,3k rpm that both cars are same, only difference is low rpm- city driving (hope for a guttered manis to be a bit better then no working ones with butterflyes going wild)

·
Registered
608 Posts
I know this graph, I only wanted to see direct comparison between functional/non functional inlet...(it shows when you reving engine from 4,3k rpm that both cars are same, only difference is low rpm- city driving (hope for a guttered manis to be a bit better then no working ones with butterflyes going wild)
That was the reason for me adding the caveat that assumes the VIS have failed and left the butterflies open. What if the VIS fails and leaves the butterflies closed? Or as you suggest, they're flapping wildly about of their own accord. I think you are probably right that a gutted manifold would be better than a broken one; how a gutted one compares against a fully functional one would be interesting to see. There's assumedly a noticeable improvement as 1. we can feel it and 2. MG-R spent the considerable R&D and manufacturing costs to put it in there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts