MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Not sure where to start with this one... I think my car (ZS 180 mk2) has faulty switches on the VIS motors as it sometimes goes really well throughout the rev range, other times just produces way less power, and occasionally gets upset at around the rpm switch points for the VIS. Sound reasonable?

So, I thought I'd try a fault code reader to see if says anything. I read somewhere a failed VIS motor should produce an error code readable on the OBDII port? However, mine doesn't show any fault codes. Even when I completely disconnect the motors & go for a drive, no code is shown. Not sure if this is normal for the ZS's ECU? It doesn't seem to complain about anything, even disconnecting the TPS does nothing...

Now, the only other thing that occurs to me is that the guy who sold me the car said it had a superchip on it. I wasn't convinced it did as he had no receipt. How would I know if my car has the chip? It certainly pops & bangs on the overrun in 1st gear - don't know if this is normal? Also, does the superchips mess up the error code readings? AND could it be the chip which is causing erratic VIS performance? I haven't had the motors apart yet to see if they're faulty.....

Any thoughts/comments etc much appreciated!!

..Adam

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
I would take a look at the motors and then take it from there.

Error codes dont always show up regarding the vis valves.

Have no idea regarding the superchips but like i said check out the vis valves and if needed do the repair and then take it from there.

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
Ask a superchips dealer. They should have info on your car if it has been pooperchiped. In my experience though they will be less than helpful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks for the advice!

OK so I took the first (easy to get to) motor off and surprise surprise found a busted solder joint, so did the fix. Will reassemble this afternoon and see if it's helped.

Tcr; yes that's kinda how the car sounds on the over-run, is that on a standard chip? Mine doesn't sound as aggressive as that though; it's just got the factory xpower/janspeed exhaust.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Tcr; yes that's kinda how the car sounds on the over-run, is that on a standard chip? Mine doesn't sound as aggressive as that though; it's just got the factory xpower/janspeed exhaust.[/QUOTE]

just a de-cat , powerflow straight through exhaust, inner wing and 99ron fuel it also pops when changing up quickly aswell :chav:

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
superchips give a customer key with every one fitted so even if the guy didnt have his receipt he should have had the customer key.
Superchips deffinitely could help you if you phone them with your reg number but wether they will is very doubtfull in my experience.
Dont know any other way you could tell, maybe if your afr's are a little higher than normal it would possibly point to a superchip being fitted cause all they do is bang more fuel in, a roller run would be the obvious answer but zs superchips can show so little gain you wouldn't be able to tell one way or the other!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, thanks.

Oh well, I think for the time being then I shan't worry about. Car seems to be more consistent with the microswitch fixed back in place on the butterfly motor anyway. I reckon I'll have to get the other motor (balance?? whatever that does) and check that one too at some point!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts