MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I've just learned that Nanjing is selling the 200+ chassis drops they have for the ZT260's and Rover V8's. These were the production powertrain kits received from Ford / Roush that were never used due to MG going into administration. There may also be some SV motors as well. All of these parts are new, and unused. If you plan on keeping your V8 for a while, this may be a good way to get some spares for a reasonable price.

From what I remember, these are complete engines from throttle body to exhast manifold, including wiring, with attached transmission / clutch, etc. There are other associated bits in the kits as well. :MG:

·
Registered
54 Posts
This seems an interesting post and begs a few questions:
1. Why didn't Caterpillar pick these engines up as part of the parts they purchased when they took over the parts operation?
2. What happened to 'just in time' parts ordering? If 883 cars were produced over, say, 24 months then 200 units would have kept them supplied for getting on for 5 months!
3. Are they the pre 2002 Mustang units?
4. Why is this information only surfacing a year after the closure of Longbridge and have they just been sitting on pallets in a darkened corner of the factory?
5. What other unwanted 260 parts are sitting quietly rusting away? Is there a mountain of Apex alloys, a pile of X-Power exhausts etc etc etc?
BTW I see that Nanjing/SAIC have got a prototype 75 up and running. Anyone know any more?

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Cracking info, cheers 1n2! :beerchug

·
Registered
99 Posts
What other unwanted 260 parts are sitting quietly rusting away? Is there a mountain of Apex alloys, a pile of X-Power exhausts etc etc etc? Unquote

Good points, I would dearly like to get my hands on a set of R75V8 17 ins Star Spoke or even 18 ins Vortex wheels. You never see these advertised anywhere.
John

·
ZT260SE In Typhoon
146 Posts
Anyone know how to bid on these items or where they can be viewed??

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been told that they also have the higher power units (365) as well as the 260. A deal to buy these from Nanjing has been agreed and will be completed within the next few weeks.

How do I know? Well I am getting a new 2.5 for my 75 tourer - hopefully the whole front end - engine, suspension, air con, alternator etc.

I cannot say more at present other than the units remain within Longbridge at the moment.

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
You've got me thinking now Paul! dddc

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was told by a Powertrain employee who was working making K series engines for Land Rover Stock and caterpillar spares right up to September that the Chinese had to be stopped from packing the V8s in their containers. Ford Motor Company went in trying to claim title.

Its strange how a few Mustang V8s have turned up on eBay.

Yes I agree that Caterpillar should have bought them

Ian

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Wish this info was today not 2006.

Rear subframe, which is a know rust trap are offered for sale by Rimmers at £745. How much did they pay?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts