MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all..
I have a noise coming from the aux belt.. but its not so much of a belt noise, almost a bearing noise.. or even a tensioner noise..

started intermittently for a day.. now its constant..
its had the cam belts done it june
its done 74k

are there any common faults i should be looking for

i also just ordered my new resistor pack for fan so thats another job to do..

thanks

(its a 03 v6)

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Who did the belts, if its a garage I'd take it back and get them to listen to it.

If its a tensioner, water pump, or even alternator bearing, could be that the belts were tensioned up too tight, the aux one at least. If its automatic tensioner can they be set wrong.

Have heard of some new bits failing after doing a belt change, just something that needs looking at quickly.

Hope its an easy fix.

:wave:

·
won hay-tee
607 Posts
Reminds me that i must get around to sorting the cambelt at some point, its a little overdue :D

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Mine started off as a slight metalic tinkling noise coming from I think under the aux belt cover, but now it sounds a bit more tappety. Any ideas? Is it worth giving that Wynn's valve lifter fluid stuff a go before I get someone to look at it? Anyone tried Wynn's here?

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Try spraying some WD 40 around it with engine running. That ought to quieten things down enough to see if it is the aux belt.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Did you WD 40 it? It ought to quieten it down. If it does the trick leave it at that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i did not seem to .. but i feel ill and lots of snow on ground so gonna have another go when i feel better.. cheers :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts