MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
POL Group/MG ZR Owners/MG ZS Owners Club
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can or does anyone know what part this is in pic below, took car back for MOT retest passed with flying colours, just 100 yards from home heard a ticking noise from under the bonnet, pulled up opened the bonnet, oil everywhere and oil pouring from this part of the engine, its split in the centre, its drivers side front near the radiator above the oil filter, its rubberised but dont know if it can be fixed or what the part does is even the name of what it is, can anyone identify or give me a part no as the car is now off the road till i can get it fixed or is it terminal ... pic below

·
Mercedes W638
1,854 Posts
Looks like the cam shaft seal. These are a common cause of oil leaks on KV6 engines, particularly after a cam belt change.

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers matey, can it be repaired without taking the engine out and is there a kit to do this and where can i get them from

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys knew if i asked on here you would be able to help thankyou very much, just ordered that part cheers shroonie and don

Reactions: DeMoNPauL

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
if you get a bit of angle you can bolt over this as keeps the cap in place, the tooliing for the cap is very old and the last 6 sets from rimmers have weaped. Will get a pic as fitted them on my 190

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers Pete that will help loads, what a mess it made oil everywhere, spent hours cleaning the oil up, amazing where it has got, do they just push in or do they have to have a special tool to fitt them..

·
Mercedes W638
1,854 Posts
They are just a friction fit. As Car13 says, replacement oil seals can be quite loose. This is why I said about the problem after the cam belt change.

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
A top tip - whenever I replace these just for a bit of precaution, I coat the sliding surfaces with loctite. Haven't had one drop out in 5+years!

Can be fiddly to refit - a long flat lever bar might be useful. No room to tap them in thats for sure!

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers everyone for helping out, cars now up and running again and back on the road, pete did you take that pic of the bracket

1 - 10 of 10 Posts