MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

Tyres

2K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  lead-right-foot 
#1 · (Edited)
Just a quickie- My 160 was delivered to me with Pirelli 'P-Zeros' fitted when all the sales brochures state that Michelin Pilots are fitted as standard...not that I'm complaining, as I prefer Pirellis anyway! I would be interestred to know if any other 'Zeds' have been supplied with differnt tyres to Michelins?

#3 ·
Michelins on bth my ZS and Elaine's ZR, although some of the cars in the dealers showroom have Pirellis fitted.
At launch the Michelins were not available and so a different tyre had to be fitted.
Seem to think that there is another thread about this somewhere.

#7 ·
My 105+ was delivered with Michelins which i have found ok in the recent dry weather.

I am a great fan of Pirelli P5000 Drago's, and when the wet weather kicks in again i'm gonna whack those on my wheels coz there ain't a better tyre in a puddle.;)

#11 ·
Re: What's the going rate for a 205/45 R17 tyre?

J-Bo said:
What's the going rate for a 205/45 R17 tyre? I feel I am going to have a shock when it comes to replacing one ... or so my friends say! ;)
I have come across a couple of places that will only relieve you of £120-125 each for P Zeros, balanced and fitted. Looks like I should be getting 8500 - 9000 miles from a pair on the front of my ZS180 - so not too bad but still a reasonably significant running cost!

S.

#13 ·
Unfortunately, Good Year don't do anything in 18" for our ZT 190+ at all, let alone Eagle F1s.

I've heard good things about Eagle F1s, but it'll have to be Conti's or the same Michelins that are on there (Pilot Sports).

I don't know what the Conti's are like, all I know is that they are much cheaper!

#17 ·
Pirellis or Michelins?

Although both tyres are the same size 205/45/17 the edge profiles are different! the Pirellies are squarer and may rub on a heavilly ladden car and the michelins have a rounder edge profileto avoid such problems.
Having driven cars with both types of tyers in the damp if i had a choice i'd definately go for the michelins as i find they provide much better grip .

#18 ·
Does anyone have experience of the Dunlop SP9000 or Yokohama A539? These are, apparently, both available in 205/45R17. What Martin says about rubbing is a valid point. I have P Zeros on my ZS180 and have had them rub the insides of the wheel arches once or twice, albeit in unusual circumstances.

S.

#22 ·
ellingtj said:
There is only one place for tyres,
Micheldever tyres! www.micheldever.co.uk I think - never found anywhere cheaper!
Tim ZR 160
I work in the tyre trade and as far as I know micheldever are cheap because he gets his tyres imported and you will usally end up with a tyre that is made for a different climate to this country. ie if you get tyres made for a warm climate the will hardly ever get warm enough will slide all over the place but last 25,000 miles or you get tyres mad for a cold climate that will get too hot and stick to the road like glue but you will be back buying more the following month. I personaly would not buy tyres from him. If your in north hampshire let me know and I will sort you out a good price on tyres.

#23 ·
UKBloke,
Tread carefully when making accusations about companies on public forums which may not be substantiated - I have heard of such statements being admissable as evidence in libel cases (such statements are banned on forums such as Pistonheads.com for this reason).

Wouldn't a tyre for a different climate come marked with a different temperature rating?? I don't know how temperature ratings are calculated.
Tim.

#24 ·
ellingtj,
No tyres don't have a temperture rating as such because the only country that requires such a marking is the USA and Canada. If you look on your tyres is may have a few markings such as Treadwear 180, temperature A, but underneath that is will more lan likley say codes on valid in the USA or Canada. Normally you cannot tell the difference between tyres made for this country or another simply by looking at them. But you will find that some countrys use older tread pattern to us. For example Austraila still use the Pirelli P600 pattern, a pattern which as not been used in this country for a few years now. One way to be sure that you are not buying imported tyres is to buy them from a dealer that get the tyres direct from the tyre manufactures. And remember whenever you get new tyres fitted always have the new tyres put to the rear of your because it improves the handeling.

#25 ·
Errrrm, not too sure that's advisable from a safety point of view - FWD cars steer and power from the same wheels, so (IMHO) you should have more grip here than on the back wheels.

On a rear wheel drive car, I would imagine what you say to be the case, so you don't get the back sliding out under power. (unless that's what you want!)...

My two £ worth.... :)

#26 ·
Well having more tread only makes any different in wet conditions under braking and conering. Also Tyres cause oversteer and the more tread you have the greater the oversteer effect. So if you have more tread on the front and less on the back when conering this will cause your back end to slide out. And on a front wheel drive car you are less likely to get the back end of the car back in line. By having new tyres on the rear and older ones on the front you get an understeer effect which is much safer. Also if you always change your front tyres and leave them there you rears will become old and have and increasing chance of blowing out. Most leading manufacters will now recommend that all new tyres are put to the rear regardless of whether or not the vechile is FWD, RWD or even 4WD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.