MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Right, trying to find a decent price for tyres, my lovely wife has rung around and got some quotes:

Abbey Tyres: (local tyre place to us, I've always gone there before)

Continentals - £158.00 each
Pirelli P0's - £169.00 each

Wouldn't quote for Michellins...

Bathwick Tyres:

Continentals - £509.72 fully fitted and balanced

Winterstone:
(will price match any quote from anywhere else)

Micheillin - £780 fully fitted and balanced
Continentals - £650 fully fitted and balanced

Mitcheldever Tyres:

Michellin set of four, fully fitted and balanced - £749.41
Continental set of four, fully fitted and balanced - £584.91
Pirelli set of four, fully fitted and balanced - £634.26

Any ideas on what these tyres are like? I've certainly never tried contis, and not heard much about them. Pirellis are supposed to be average in grip and average handling.

They're all cheaper than the michellins though, so I'm wondering what I'm getting extra for that bit more money.....

Any ideas?

G

·
Some good prices maybe I should have rang around before I ventured South yesterday. What size are they - guess I should pick up the MG brochure and check!

Nick - will have a look in the tyre catalogue on which is supposed to be the performance tyre - you will need to list which type of Conti ect.

Not used on EVO's - we talk of Bridgestones - Dunlop - Yokos - Toyos.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerry, I've got no idea which model tyres they are!

Worth considering Bridgestones SO2/3's as well, but I've heard they are better suited to 4wd and I'm not sure if you can get them in my size.... They're 225/45ZR18, and the pilot sports on there at the moment are directional too. (althought I'm not sure how much of a difference the directional tread makes to the grip).

The biggest difference I've noticed is that when driving in the wet, the water coming off my tyres goes outwards, whereas the water on Iains Impreza (non-directional tyres) tends to go backwards...

Had dunlops on the 600, which were ok, but nothing special.

Toyos I've heard are crap in the wet, and I've heard that Yokos are better suited to track use, as they don't last too long... Of course, I might be spouting rubbish as I'm coming from the recommendations of others, which is all personal opinion and not fact based.

Another possibility is Falkens. However, I doubt I'd be allowed these (Nat:D). This is because they are VERY grippy, but last very few miles compared to other makes. Apparantly after a long run, the tyre actually feels slightly tacky...

G

·
You've got 225/45 R18 Michelins. :D

Directional tyres are supposed to be the performance tyres - will go and have a read on the manufactures you have mentioned.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interestingly, I just found this review of the tyres that are on my car:

Pilot Sport

The Pilot Sport only reached the middle of the rankings after Sport Auto's tyre test (3/00). Its strengths were its aquaplaning performance on a curve and short dry braking distance. Reviewers marked it down for poor noise and comfort as well as a lacklustre wet braking performance.

Rallye Racing (7/2000) recommended the tyre as being good in the dry and in aquaplaning in a curve but criticised the tyre's wet braking performance.

Gute Fahrt (3/2001) also found the tyre to be good in the dry as well as providing good rolling resistance. Perceived weaknesses were wet handling and comfort.

G

·
always either Goodyear Eagle NCT2 - last ages good all round grip - used to pay about 100 quid each on my MR2 wore easily (10-15k)

and Pirelli P6000's on a Nissan 200SX great tyre loved 'em - only one thing £165 each - oh and loads of road noise. but a great great tyre used only 2.5 sets in 65K

G

·
SO3's

Just driven 15 miles in horrible rain. The SO3's (albeit new) are much better than the Yokos I had (however they were worn out :D )

·
Registered
24 Posts
Having the pleasure of driving Volvo T5's everyday at work in all different traffic and weather conditions and quite often at Very high speeds, the popular choice of tyre at the moment is the Good Year F1. Excelent dry road performance, but they really come into their own in the wet. I'm not exactly sure of the price but I believe they retail at around the £100 mark.;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts