MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

tyres for ZS 215/45/17?

6K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  mikeZS 
#1 ·
Hi, I need new tyres for summer so I was wondering if 215/45/17 could fit standart 7,5/17 mk2 alloys. Is there any difference in handling and acceleration for ZS 180, or it´s not noticable in normal conditions.?(also I don´t want to make my car stiffer . What are the best tyre marks suitable for MG ZS (for owners).
(our Honda have 225/45/17 summer tyres and it handles like a tram on the railways-but acceleration is´t good for 140k/103kw - so I don´t want to kill MG ZS performance)

#3 ·
Yes, i've read if going from 205'S to 215's drop the profile from 45 to 40. as its a ratio of the tyre width.

I've seen 215/40/17's on a MK2 wheel and the profile suited it much better. Filled the arch that little bit more.

I also think that the rims are to exposed to kerbing with 205 tyres.

#4 ·
Totally agree.

I had 215/40/17 tyres on my ZS180 latterly. Far better protection from kerbs and looked better too, especially with the X-Power springs.

J:)

#8 ·
why no 215/45/17 due to different circumference of the original 205/45/17? if number 40 or 45 is height of the wall of the tyre then for 205/45/17 wall height is 92,25mm and for 215/40/17 wall height is 86mm , so i think the car is more stiffer? am I right? diameter of 205/45/17 is 306mm , for 215/40/17 is 300mm(lowers car for 6mm-speedo difference 2%) and for 215/45/17 is 311mm(heigher for 5mm-speedo difference 1%). So have someone 215/45/17? or is the stiffness of 205/45/17 same as 215/40/17? thanks a lot, I don´t want more stiffer car than from factory because really bumpy roads with deep holes. :twak2:

#9 ·
I just found that If i want other tyres which are not in my vehicle registration(that paper of car with its stats) than I need a TUV certificate. Is here someone who knows where I can get one for mk2 17´´rims? because there´s no official reseller for this car now so I need maker of the rims to approve other tyres for this rims. Thanks

#10 ·
Mike,

I believe that some Swiss members of the MGCC have had this done in the past, for their version of the TUV.

What had to be done is the local MOT (or equivalent) centre had to arrange for the rims with new tyres to be certified as safe.
They did try a letter from several places including Xpart but only a stamp from a Swiss centre did it in the end.

Perhaps try your local MOT centre, stick a tyre on the rim and ask them to certify it as safe?

Alex

#20 ·
we run 215 45 17 on mk2 wheels, and have run 205 40 17 on mark 2 wheels depends on tryes the toyo 215 45 17 had loads of flex R888, the Silverstone RTZ however have rock hard side walls and work really well.

On track back to back testing we took 2 seconds off a lap with them. However in the wet dont bother you have no stearing or breaks.

Toyo R888 205 40 17 is a cracker for all round performance

#13 ·
ok I got this 7,5x17 mk2 rims, what are they worth? scratched a bit? and what are the lightest 17 not so expensive (OZ superlegera 330e for one, too expensive I could spent round 200e for one rim) or should I fit rather 16 on it an lower a bit (but I think that 16 would look very small on the car and lowering will make car more stiffer) I want to save weight for tyres(unsprung weight). if I make my car ligter will it be faster (0-60mph, or so? or only in turns noticible). I found that original mk2 rims weight´s something round 11kg, OZ - 7,5kg,(17 rims) . and what for tyres? what are the best performance vs weight vs price. ? conti3, dunlopTT, goodyear? what about bf goodrich? thanks for reply and help, I want to improve a performance of my car ( preparing to fit catch tank, air intake )

#14 ·
Hi Mike,

Just out of interest, what modifications do you currently have on the car?

Reducing unsprung weight is a good idea but I don't think you will notice huge gains purely by lowering the weight of each wheel. I'm sure it will improve handling and may help acceleration slightly, but don't expect anything huge.

Have you replaced the catalytic converter, the exhaust, the induction, the manifolds?

J:)

#15 · (Edited)
for now I just fitted catch tank ( to late - my inlet are rattling) , next week I would fit a air induction (KN air power flow performance filter - inner wing aluminium tubes) - de cat and other exhaust pipes also manifolds are standart now ( have to solve an inlet rattle first), I want to save about 5kg on each wheel - so maybe 16 are better choice (got this car only 2 months)

#17 ·
If you want to save weight and improve accelaration fit 15 inch rims one of the ZS in our race series has done this, they fit over v6 brakes with no issues
slams the car but with neg camber arms you can get a great set up. New 15 inch rims (MGR) as in picture are cheap my boss has 4 - sets still in store in leeds

£150 a set for 4 brand new wheels, they take a 205 - 15 tyre

#18 ·
I m without spare wheel in the trunk, no jack, only foam for puncture. not even a wheel key :)

#21 ·
yeap toyo´s are good but not for everyday use also here cost 300e/one tyre. what are good tyres for regular use ? conti3?

#22 ·
I'm about to fit Kumho KU36's to my MkII. Next track day isn't until Feb though, so can only tell you then how they go. I need a track/road tire and I think this'll be the best option. Would love to get R888's, but they're twice the price! Us poor convicts can't afford that sort of coin down here :)

#24 ·
hi, there is no problem with cops or mot technics that there are not a 215/40,45/17 in you papers form a car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.