MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 160 now for nearly 3 weeks.

It has been a hard ride, but I thought that it was down to the hard suspension.

It's been pulling to the left so I decided to check the tyre pressure.

40 PSI all round.

the owners manual states 30PSI but I'm not too sure seeing as some have piolts on and others pirello p zeros, and they can't be exactly the same, surely?

Mine are pilots.

I took the front down to 30 but they looked quite flat.

So I settled for 34 front and 33 rear.

Drive is much softer now.

But, my question is, should they be 30PSI all round?

Opinions would be great as I can't afford to run my car with the wrong tyre pressure, seeing as how expensive they are I need to make them last as long as possible.

So what do you all run at?

Thanks

Matthew

PS - the other thread - to deter thieves from nicking my motor I've installed a pit bull under each wheel arch...............If any fukcer still manages to nick it I'll hunt them down and remove the aforesaid pit bull from their throat...........

·
Registered
36 Posts
Your book may not be right. My book states 28psi/1.9bar all round. I would recommend this. The pressure in the doesn't not differ for make either, alought different Tyre manufactures will reccomend different pressures. If you are still unsure and are aroung the basingstoke/farnborough end of hants let me know and I will take a look at the wear on you tyres and see if you have the pressures right for your style of driving. And if anyone else has any tyre related question I fit them for a living so I know a bit about them. BTW tyres are meant look a bit flat so the you get the whole tread on the road surface.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Tyre pressure

Quoted from MGR technical manual.
Tyre pressures for 205/45/r17's on a ZR 160
Normal driving/Max load/High speed & Towing the tyre pressure's all round should be 2.1 bar or 30psi.;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Tyre pressure is also a concern on mine on my 120...

when i got the car, first thing i did was go down to the garage get petrol and check tyres... I was a bit suprised when i saw all 4 on 36! checked the manual and all 4 should be 28 but they looked a bit flat at the front so I have front on 30 and back on 28.
The front still looks a bit flat so thinking of upping to 32...

·
Registered
74 Posts
ukbloke said:
Your book may not be right. My book states 28psi/1.9bar all round. I would recommend this. The pressure in the doesn't not differ for make either, alought different Tyre manufactures will reccomend different pressures. If you are still unsure and are aroung the basingstoke/farnborough end of hants let me know and I will take a look at the wear on you tyres and see if you have the pressures right for your style of driving. And if anyone else has any tyre related question I fit them for a living so I know a bit about them. BTW tyres are meant look a bit flat so the you get the whole tread on the road surface.
MY FRIEND HAS JUST BOUGHT A CAR WITH NO SPARE WHEEL IF YOU GET A FLAT YOU RE-INFLATE IT WITH THIS AEROSOL THING ,NOW ONE DEALER SAYS ONCE YOU USE THIS AEROSOL THE TYRE IS THEN SCRAP BUT ANOTHER DEALER SAYS THEY CAN BE REPAIRED WHO PLEASE IS RIGHT. :sad:

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Try switching caps lock off.

On the issue of tyre repair gunk, tyres should be thrown away once repair agents have been used in them. It is a temporary repair only. It works by degrading the rubber to seal the hole.

Just like space savers are only a temporary thing, which are only meant to be used for short distances and at low speed. Many are only rated at 60km/h some are 80 km/h. There are some issues with insurance cover and space savers too.

28-30 psi is standard for most cars, always follow what the manufacturer states unless the specific tyre manufacture reccomends otherwise for your specific vehicle with their tyre. Only check the pressure when the tyre is cold (not driven for a few hours) Competition tyres are usually checked at hot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Rally Matt said:
Try switching caps lock off.

On the issue of tyre repair gunk, tyres should be thrown away once repair agents have been used in them. It is a temporary repair only. It works by degrading the rubber to seal the hole.

Just like space savers are only a temporary thing, which are only meant to be used for short distances and at low speed. Many are only rated at 60km/h some are 80 km/h. There are some issues with insurance cover and space savers too.

28-30 psi is standard for most cars, always follow what the manufacturer states unless the specific tyre manufacture reccomends otherwise for your specific vehicle with their tyre. Only check the pressure when the tyre is cold (not driven for a few hours) Competition tyres are usually checked at hot.
Thanks Matt sorry about the capitals :roll:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Had my ZR 105 serviced at an MG dealership 2 weeks ago. The service sheet was ticked as correct pressure (17" wheels) for all 4 tyres the pressure was stated as 2.1 bar all round (30.45psi).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.