1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
MG ZS 180 MKI
3,364 Posts
No, We've gone one better and fitted a Audi lump in there with turbo power :D

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
Which audi lump, is it a straight forward conversion?
Dave V6 (member on here) had a ZS180 which he got Reyland to convert to Audi 1.8 Turbo power using teh original PG1 gearbox.
The ZS180 was heavily modded as it was already a trackday car. Conversion cost for someone else would be around £6k.
Dave's was cheaper as it was the first one ever made.
The car had 300bhp and 300lbft torques...............:)

there is a thread about it and the build
have a read of this: http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=45705

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Why fit a ctr engine? The zed is a good match for the old ctr and i believe, quicker than the new ctr.

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
Why fit a ctr engine? The zed is a good match for the old ctr and i believe, quicker than the new ctr.
Probably because the ZS is basically an old shape Civic innit?cool2

Besides if you wanted a revvy ZS, fit a 1.8vvc lump from a ZR160

·
Registered
269 Posts
I personally would rather have a good Honda VTEC engine than a turbo even if it's less power. I'm really into highly optimised nasp engines like the Type-R spec VTECs. They sound fantastic. Just my personal taste.
As a previous ITR DC2 owner I can vouch for the fun I had.

I expect fitting the older B series VTEC (From the ITR DC2) would be easier than the newer K-series iVTEC (from the CTR).
The B-series was fitted to the Honda Civic that the ZS is based on, so if you got hold of all the Honda mountings, shafts, ECU, plumbing etc etc, it should bolt in. Wiring might be tricky but can prob be adapted.

You'd definitely need the Honda gearbox as well, because the engine fits the gearbox at the opposite end to the KV6/K-series Rover engines, so it really would be a bit more than just an engine fitment, you'd need a 1995-2000 Honda Civic VTEC/VTi donor car really as you'd need a lot of bits from it.
Possibly also the gearshifter unless Rover used the Honda one.

Whether anyone has ever done this though I don't know, I'd be interested to see.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I went on a stag night recently, I drove the ZS and a mate drove his honda civic VTEC, 1.8 with a factory 180bhp. I was 4 up, he was 3 up and at no point could he even get close, I pulled away from him every time he tried it on.

I have driven the 2.0 and its not quick, the revs make it seam so but its not. Its a harder conversion into the ZS but I have seen it done into older civics, best reason would be the 6 speed box, also honda engines can be turbo'd on stock internals very easily.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I went on a stag night recently, I drove the ZS and a mate drove his honda civic VTEC, 1.8 with a factory 180bhp. I was 4 up, he was 3 up and at no point could he even get close, I pulled away from him every time he tried it on.

I have driven the 2.0 and its not quick, the revs make it seam so but its not. Its a harder conversion into the ZS but I have seen it done into older civics, best reason would be the 6 speed box, also honda engines can be turbo'd on stock internals very easily.

The problem is CTR's are a lot heavier than the ITR DC2 I had, which definitely felt quicker than my 180 any day.
In fact when I had my ITR I drove a CTR back to back with it, and it wasn't as quick so I kept the ITR.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The problem is CTR's are a lot heavier than the ITR DC2 I had, which definitely felt quicker than my 180 any day.
In fact when I had my ITR I drove a CTR back to back with it, and it wasn't as quick so I kept the ITR.
No idea what either of those are, the car my mate had was a T reg Honda VTEC, same bosdy shell as my ZS except it was a hatch.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Why would you want to, the KV6 is a good peice of kit, if you want a honda lump but a civic and upgrade the suspension with ZS parts.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
^^^^^^^

What he said.

Buy a Civic vti and make a zs clone, much easier

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
its a conversion ive been planning on doing to my 110 when it comes time to buy a new car, not really researched into it that much, but there where a few engines i had thought of such as the 2.2 then with a blower on it
my thoughts came from the same place as you really, if you can put a type r engine in an old civic then why cant you ek9 type r a zs get the same conversion kit with the mounts, a donor car for wiring gearboxes shafts ect, rebuild the gearbox with some shiney bits in it
hrd bit is imobiliser side of things and making everything work so id guess maybe an aftermarket ecu may be best but id really need to sit and think about it all,
i like the idea of the honda engine in it because you can buy a lot more performance parts for them and a supercharged ek9 or even integra type r engine is somthing that would suit the zs very nicely
also there are a lot of conversion kits for the new type r engine so tht would be another possibility

·
Registered
213 Posts
why not fit a type r lump in and super charge it as there would e load of room to do so plus would **** all ova a vvc or audi 1.8 turbo

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
why not fit a type r lump in and super charge it as there would e load of room to do so plus would **** all ova a vvc or audi 1.8 turbo
???
really? the audi engine Is quite tunable!

I wouldnt want a type R engine in my zs over the kv6!!
Not saing its not a good engine, but dont fancy reving the **** out of it all the time and the kv6 makes the best noise!

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
naaah the type r engine standard is 197 bhp and 145lb ft, the audi engine is 225 bhp and 210 lb ft and if you spend the same money on the audi lump as you would charging the type r engine the power gap would be much wider.
Type r would be 290-300 bhp and 200 lb ft , the audi lump over 400 bhp and enough torque to pull a house down.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Personally, as much as I love the Honda B series engine I wouldn’t spend the time or money dropping one into a ZS. It would be easier and far cheaper to buy the Civic MB6 4 door hatch and fit the panels and interior from a ZS. With the Honda you’ll have a far greater choice of B transplants on offer, even take the B20 (2 ltr) from the HRV and fit a VTEC head, 2ltr VTEC.
The B18 in the civic is a peach, capable of running 300hp stock with a turbo, this makes great use of the much criticised gear box with long ratios, and a LSD as standard, I know a guy who runs a Civic with a stock engine and a turbo conversion and he’s making 450hp, check the last ten of the best, been turbo for more than a year.
If you wanted to stay ZS and transplant a Honda engine then I would look into the K24 bottom end with the CTR iVTEC head, that’s 300hp NASP right there.
So many variables, ultimately, if you haven’t done anything like this before and will rely on the tuner to maintain the conversion then I would stay with the recognised routes.
VTEC and boost gives you the very best of both worlds, you still have a 9k screamer but with boost to kick.

·
Jonno
667 Posts
I'm currently on with sticking a B-Series (1600) into a ZR. I will post the build into my rally car build thread soon. It is to be used for rallying with a close ratio box, heavy duty diff and going for 200 reliable ponies. In a lightweight car i think it will be a great engine. I have chosen this engine on the desired class for the car - don't want to be in the 2.0 class otherwise i'd have gone K20.

In a ZS though, supercharged K20A. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts