MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I get rid of every TV and receiving equipment in the house would the Beeb still want their pound of flesh? You'd think not, but I heard somewhere that if you have a PC with access to the internet then you're required to have a TV license. Sounds daft but I guess it's because you can still watch their online content. I've got nothing against the License fee. I just don't want to pay it if I don't have to! :~D

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
I thought that if you had any sort of "TV card" in your PC or laptop enabling you to watch live TV you had to have a licence regardless of which channel you watch.

Apparently the TV licence also covers the BBC radio stations costs as well.

So presumably if you have a Sky dish and reciever you are paying twice for the channels you watch
  • Licence fee
  • Sky subscription

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My mate had a TV he only used for his xbox, he had the inspectors round when he didnt buy a license and they inspected his TV, as long as the chanels are blank (all not just the Beeb) then you dont need a license.

Technically the Iplayer is only open to Licence holders and you need a TV license if you have a radio (although you can just buy a radio license), this counts for portables or car mounted so if you have a radio in your car you need at least a radio license at your home address to cover it.

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
So presumably if you have a Sky dish and reciever you are paying twice for the channels you watch
  • Licence fee
  • Sky subscription
No, you pay Sky to watch the Sky channels and you pay the BBC to watch the BBC channels and listen to the Radio and watch programs shown on iPlayer ( if they are also broadcast at the same time.)

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I thought that if you had any sort of "TV card" in your PC or laptop enabling you to watch live TV you had to have a licence regardless of which channel you watch.

Apparently the TV licence also covers the BBC radio stations costs as well.

• Licence fee
  • Sky subscription
You don't pay for the free to air channels as part of the sky subscription, there are quite a few channels that you can pick up through a sky dish and box without any sort of card, more if you buy a £20 "free veiw" card from sky.

For the licence fee to be payable I think the definition is any peice of equipment that can receive "LIVE" tv pictures.

It used to be 1 licence for colour and a cheaper 1 for black and white and the licence covered up to 3 peices of equipment but I think they have changed it so you only need 1 licence per domestic address, this does mean that students need a licence for their TV at college/uni! Be warned!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't have a TV licence yet am currently watching QI streamed via Iplayer through my Wii.

All perfectly legal and the TV licensing bods know all about it, they do write to us occassionally asking if we're sure we don't want one, to which we reply no every time. The TV is de-tuned and we have specifically told them that we use it for watching Iplayer, using the internet, watching dvd's and playing games consoles and that's all perfectly legal to do without having a TV licence.

The thing we're not allowed to do is watch programmes as they are 'broadcast', however Iplayer is pre-recorded, so that's fine, even states it in their bumph.

·
Longbridge !
3,306 Posts
Things may change regarding Iplayer though as you can watch live TV on it now.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I always thought. So that suggests that as soon as the BBC start a live streaming service your PC or even Router automatically becomes "television receiving equipment ".

It would be a logistical nightmare to enforce. Maybe the refuseniks will have a tax levied on their broadband service. Who knows. Seeing how heavy handed they are already I'm sure they'll find a way.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I dont have a TV and therefore dont pay the licence fee. I do however watch all the on demand type channels on the internet. I'm never in to watch TV programs as they are broadcast. It is a requirement to have a licence if you wish to record programs yourself and watch later so I have read.

·
Registered
151 Posts
my opinion is that if you have sky or cable tv then you shouldnt pay for a licence,i pay the better part of £50-£60 for sky,why should i pay for a licence when i dont even watch bbc1!watching eastenders is anuff for you to get depressed and commit suicide,therefore you wouldnt pay anyway,although i do pay for one i still think its wrong if you subscribe to other tv companies ie:sky cable

·
Registered
179 Posts
My mate is the same. He doesn't have a TV but does everything online. The BBC plague him with demands to buy a licence including knocking at his door. He told them he doesn't have a TV but wont let them in to see.

There's nowt they can do without a warrant from court and it costs far too much to get one, so they just harrass you instead. He finds it fun.

The only thing you need a license for is watching live tv.

However that will probably change (as has been said above) as they want their pound of flesh from everyone regardless.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It is funny the TV licensing people used to harrass a mate of mine at uni who just plain refused to buy a license.

If you let them in to inspect and they serve the official warning documents then you are obliged to sort things out.. if however you never answer the door unless you stand there and ring one of the housemates mobiles, then they were never able to gain access to the property to check.....

tbh there were 6 of them in the house and i think it would have been much easier for them to just pay up.... i p**s (literally) more money than the license is per year away on beer so dont really mind paying that amount for no adverts on a couple of channels...

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
You guys are missing out on some suberb programmes, especially on BBC3, and what about sport, such as the F1?

·
Longbridge !
3,306 Posts
You guys are missing out on some suberb programmes, especially on BBC3, and what about sport, such as the F1?
It's all available on iplayer free.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts