MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI ALL,
having trouble getting my zs 180 into gear, it only does it when been driven for a while and the engine is hot, works good as gold when its cold,i have checked gear oil and clutch fluid all are ok. have any of you guys come accross this prob? not good thing to be doing when you cant get it in gear at trafficlights,

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Is this something that's recently developed? Cause difficult gearchange is an endemic problem with these models, including mine. Can't say I've noticed any correlation with engine temperature. It's a bit random. Some days gears engage easier than others. And it's always been like this, since I bought the car 20K ago.

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
Is your clutch behaving as it should? - the hydraulics are a well known weak spot in the ZS180.

If you have to push it to the floor to get it to engage and it's "in" by about 1/2 " off the floor the hydraulics are shot.

If so, look up "Sheddist clutch kit" on here.

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
Sorry, I didn't understand the above part. If what's "in"? And what does the 1/2 inch measurement relate to? Gap between pedal and floor?
Sorry - didn't explain very well did I?:oops:

If your clutch engages (the car starts moving) with the clutch pedal barely off the floor then your hydraulics are on the way out. ( I found this when my original clutch hydraulics were failing on my previous ZS180.)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Sorry - didn't explain very well did I?:oops:

If your clutch engages (the car starts moving) with the clutch pedal barely off the floor then your hydraulics are on the way out. ( I found this when my original clutch hydraulics were failing on my previous ZS180.)
Thx for 'splaining that. Nah, the clutch bites ok when it's engaged. I just have a very sticky gearchange at times. Just trying to ascertain whether the sheddist upgrade would help things. Don't suppose anyone can guarantee that it will. Might do the basics first, like checking the gearbox oil but I doubt that's the problem.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Try greasing both push rods. Might help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
HI ALL,
having trouble getting my zs 180 into gear, it only does it when been driven for a while and the engine is hot, works good as gold when its cold,i have checked gear oil and clutch fluid all are ok. have any of you guys come accross this prob? not good thing to be doing when you cant get it in gear at trafficlights,

My 180 is also doing this, worse in heavy traffic. As you say its fine when cold even in traffic. there is no drag or slip its as if somthing is bending when hot and not giving full travel.

·
Mk1 ZS180 Saloon XPG
341 Posts
Mine isn't a big fan of stop-start traffic but when I'm on the move again the change is perfect, including going back into first at the next set of lights.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Dear All

Sounds like mine is the other way around - stiff/notchy when engine (and threfore presumably oil) is cold, say first 30 minutes of use in a morning.

I have the sheddist clutch kit fitted (maybe 3-4 years ago now) and was wondering if something might need adjusting/replacing.

Sometimes gears can be a bit difficult, but noticeably worse in last few weeks hence posting here.

Any views/thoughts much appreciated!

Cheers

Andrew

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Dear All

Sounds like mine is the other way around - stiff/notchy when engine (and threfore presumably oil) is cold, say first 30 minutes of use in a morning.
The initial notchiness might have more to do with the choke pushing the revs up and making it more difficult to engage gear. I think that's normal for most cars. But perhaps not for as long as 30 minutes.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Worth thinking about having gear oil changed, or at least checked for levels.

Clutch hydraulics can cause all sorts of issues, it depends how they are failing, fast idle should not affect gear change as you will be removing drive to the input shaft by disengaging clutch, good synchros will be able to cope easily.

If the synchros are worn (possible) that will affect the change but my first thought would be to drop gear oil out and have a look at it.

Only use MTF94 in the PG1.

Low oil levels can cause some issues with gearbox.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I had the same problem about 10 minutes ago, I'm now sitting on the side of the road waiting for the rac. :-(
That can't be fun. Let us know what the RAC guy says. I had a panicky moment when I couldn't engage first at the lights so I'm interested.

·
andybuckr25.blogspot.com
28 Posts
I had a problem similar to this, all be it on my rover 25. Exactly what you describe though, not going into gear at lights etc. Having to pump clutch more than once to get it to go in?

I changed my transmission oil from whatever was in it, to Castrol EPX stuff, and its been much better since. There was a bunch of filings on the drain bolt, which were removed. However you did say the oil was fine, have you changed it or just topped it up/checked it?

The oil i used can be seen on this post of my blog - 67000/68000 Mile Service

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine went the same last week,cant engage 1st gear,and all the rest where very notchy and difficult to engage,reverse asswell!! Spent yesterday replacing the clutch master and slave cylinder with new replacement parts.This has made little difference to the change..the only thing left to do now is replace the clutch plate ,as its obviously not the hydraulics!! The cars just over 90K miles so I think its gonner need one.Got it booked in at a Clutch/Gearbox centre not to far from home for Monday,Theyve quoted me a price of £225 for a clutch kit supplied and fitted.Im happy with the price..will keep you posted what happens next!!!

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
I dunno. Don't want do more harm than good. Do you need a special grease for hydraulics?
I just used Castrol grease from Halfords.

Reactions: Keosk

·
back in my 3rd 180
222 Posts
hi folks i had the same prob the other night,was slowing down at the traffic lights,and it took me 4 attempts to get into 2nd,ive got a spare slave was going to fit it but it seems it has extended right out,so i didnt bother replacing it,do you guys think the slave is knackered,by the way ive just joined from the mgzs,co,uk site

1 - 20 of 59 Posts