MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we have sold the EVO VII to make way for a ZED TEE. I used MAX's Trophy to go down to Brighton for work yesterday and came back in the gorgous sunshine with roof down for 130 miles this pm.

Saw one other MG a TF??? in Trophy Blue - sailed past him at an illegal speed. :D

Very surprised with the way the car drove - starting to like it. Although I tend to sit rather high - but seems lower than the previos "F" we had. Now, maybe she will let me use it on the Kernahan track day. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, fantastic Rob. It does go extremly well, with not as buffeting as I expected at "blasting speeds".

Feel a little vunerable however, it maybe worth researching some nice chrome roll over bars, before the track day.

1. Gives you reassurance.
2. Looks good.
3. Strengthens the shell.

·
MGF and ZTT pilot :)
863 Posts
Which roll hoops were you thinking of? Couple of options readily spring to mind: the Safety Devices roll hoops and Mike Satur's Boxter windstop.

The former are certainly a fair bit cheaper, look the biz, and come from a highly respected manufacturer of safety equipment. But negates the possibility of a windstop. Mike Satur's one is a sizeable bit of angle iron, pinched from the Forth bridge by the looks of things. Designed primarily for aesthetics and as a windstop, but also useful to have as a safety feature. Mike also claims that fitting it strengthens and stiffens the car: no idea if this is the case.

Another alternative is to contact Don Liang in Tiawan - he's engineered is own roll hoops from ali - they look superb, and there is more info on fitting on Dieter's web site.

Of all the options, I think that Mike's solution is the least distruptive to the trim and structure of the car.

I think I know which I'd choose, given the choice ;)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just make sure you get a functional bar and not a decorative one (those without any rearward bracing). They aren't nicknamed "mousetraps" for nothing! :eek:

S.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
I have heard very good things about Mike Stur's products.
Interestingly enough from an employee of an MGR dealership initially.

·
The Scarlet one returns...
1,040 Posts
For me Mikes Boxer wins it hands down. Don Liang's bars are slightly better looking IMO, but are substantially more tricky to fit and don't have the body stiffening brace under the T bar (Mike's are designed to be a DIY fitment with minimal works needed to the car). Also they are more expensive.

It is interesting to note that TTBOMK none of the roll bars sold have been tested and therefore are sold as cosmetic items only. Mike's ones have been involved in a roll over situation and the occupants have said that they didn't believe they would be here if the bars hadn't been fitted. High praise indeed.

Safety devices bars are the only ones with a rearward strut, whilst this may very well increase thier strength in certain roll over scenarios, it is a highly unwanted situation in an F / TF given that this means that they prevent the hood being folded properly, prevent the ½ tonneau cover being fitted and have to be removed every time the car needs any work done as the rear strut prevents removal of the engine bay access panel! :mad:

So there we have it, Mike's ones appear to do the job, come in the biggest range of colours/trims, are the easiest to fit, do not interfere with the hood/tonneau/access panel and as a bonus, the mounting box section is claimed to stiffen the body shell (i can't see why this shouldn't be the case, it certainly is a substantial section and should easily brace the car laterally).:D

Picture from Mike's web site: >> http://www.mikesatur.co.uk/ <<

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

I guess I'll phone Mike Satur for the chrome version. Which means I'll have an MGR windstop for sale.

Has anyone fitted a full tonneau to the F, I had one years ago for my TR8 and loved it? Roof was always down.

·
863 Posts
Yup, I agree, the Boxter is the one I'd go for too. I'd seen that pic of the rolled F before, and was relieved to hear that the occupants got out unscaved :eek:

Actually, the chrome Safety Devices bar does not impede use of the hood, and the triangulated sections are removable, so access is achievable to the engine. But it is not an FIA approved roll hoop. If you want one of these, you need to wave the convertible roof goodbye - not really an option for a road-going fun car :(

Oh, Andy, there are similarities between Don's and Mike's windstop: both use a substantial subframe. Don made his out of alloy; Mike's mild steel. Infact, mild steel maybe the material of choice: aluminium is too stiff and may snap on impact, whereas steel will simply bend. Swings and roundabouts really, but Mike's kit is cheaper and easier to fit...

Oh, and yes, all these roll bar/ windstops will fit the TF. There is very little metal work change in the area of the parcel shelf between the MGF and the MGTF, plus the 'furniture' in the TF is identical to the MY2000 MGF - so no problems there Keith :)

There is a tonneau available for the F Jerry (I agree they are great, I have one for my Triumph Spitfire :) ) - Will Munns has one, and I think he'd say it was worth while. Does Mike sell one of these too?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I've seen Don's unit, in fact I believe it's still in Mike's workshop - there's a story there, but it's not for this forum ... :D

I agree with yourself, and I believe Roger Parker has said much the same thing previously. When Don was designing the Artra "Foxter" windstop in Pro/E, if I recall correctly ProMechanica was quoting a 3 ton maximum load for it. It was never made clear whether this was a static load directly from the top, or a load applied from the sides.

Having said that, when Dieter did his voyage to flip-out city, didn't he have some of Don's bars fitted? How did they fare?

·
863 Posts
It was designed to take a static 3 tonne load - ie 3 times the mass of the MGF. Obviously, the loading resulting from a roll-over will be dramatically different, but as you rightly say, Dieter walked away unscathed from a very nasty high speed roll-over. Don's roll-hoops performed well apparently - certainly well enough for Dieter to order another set and fit it to his replacement F! :cool:

The thing to bare in mind with all this is that the windscreen frame is a hugely strong affair (designed with the assistance of *** BEFORE the Bavarians bought the company), so perhaps, to some extent, the roll-hoops are surperfluous? :confused:

IMO the bottom line is buy the windstop/ roll-hoops that suits your sense of style and budget. All look superb, and this makes the choice harder! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Confused

Thanks for the comprehensive run down on the bars. Great to have "real" knowledgeable people on board.

Trouble is I'm now confused as to which one or whether I should bother at all. Do like Mike Saturs offerings though.

Off Tack - on my return from Swindon in the Trophy, I'm now starting to warm to the car - love the gruff sound from the exhaust and it certainly has a turn of power. Now that I can't jump into the EVO (which was super quick), you realise the F/TF chassis is also of a great standard. Brakes are also good on the Trophy.

Also notice that new age drivers in ZR's don't wave - nice white "B" did near Lechlade though. :D

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If you can hang around then wait until you've been to the MGCC Silverstone event in July. You'll be able to see just about every flavour of windstop and roll-hoop on the market around the 'F parking area.

You can spend ages looking at the pictures, but making a desicion can be very difficult until you've seen them in the flesh (or light-stone-beige leather as in my case ...).

·
863 Posts
Well the question as to whether or not to buy anything really boils down to what you want the hoops for, Jerry. If you are after wind protection, buy a windstop. If you are after FIA - approved roll cage, then Safety Devices can sell you a cage that is suitable for your Trophy. Bad news is that you'll have to remove the canvass roof. :(

If you want a windstop and a pair of substantial roll-hoops that may well provide some semblence of protection - and clearly both the designs sold by Mike and Don fall into this category - then buy a Boxster or Foxster winstop. I'd err to the side of Mike's purely on availability/price/appearance/ease of fitting :)

BTW I know what you mean about the new-age Zedders - they seem surprised when you acknowledge them! ;) Maybe they have still got to learn... :rolleyes: Mind you, even I find it hard to spot them from a distance - the MG roadsters are much easier to spot! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't buy Autocar this week.

Don't buy Autocar this week - they are talking Trophy & Freestyle prices right down in £1,000's. :( :( :(

This is the sort of news any buyer loathes. Makes you think if it is worth buying new products of any kind. Or MGR's? :(

·
The Scarlet one returns...
1,040 Posts
Re: Confused

XPower Admin! said:
love the gruff sound from the exhaust
And there was i really dissapointed with the sound of the Trophy exhaust system...

But then i have been spoiled, most of my mates have SP Supersports systems (VERY loud, high pitched wail), Rob has a TT Fxtreme (EXTREMELY loud, deep rumble) and i have a Mike Satur Daytona (very loud rumble, becoming a loud wail at around 4500 rpm)

In comparison the Trophy system is a muted rumble, better than standard, but not by much.

Very few sound files of exhausts are available on the web, but Scarlet's is on the Essex Roadsters webpage (frames i'm afraid so i can't give you a direct link):

>> http://www.essex-roadsters.freeola.com/ <<

Click ROADSTERS, then click AUDIO. :D

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Sitting high

Just to say about the sitting high in an MGF

The MG owners club which I'm sure you are all members make a seat lowering bracket for the F

I never liked the F for that reason and am now thinking of getting one.

Chris

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.