MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Im new to these forums and thought that this would be a good place to get some advice on buying a ZR as a track day car. Basically im after any do's dont's and avoids. £1000 is my buget . Any advice welcome.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Buy a rover brm they go for 500-700 on ebay it has a 143 bhp vvc engine with a close ratio lsd box as standard. They run 16 inch wheel from memory and have good stock damping rates.

They make a cracking basis for a track car. You can tweak with a janspeed manifold 300 and induction kit (open cone 20 - itg 250) great car for no money on track.

Or

MGF VVC mid engined car from 500 on ebay pay 800-1000 for a good one big smiles great handling

Or

As above a V6 ZS can be bought from 400 now for a rough one to 1000 for a good one great performance and again good base care (its a Integra underneath.

Or

Metro GTi for some serious giant killing add a 1.6 engine or 1.8 and you have a lotus eater.

Most of enjoy thats what they are for!!!!

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
nope not at all, no head gasket problems on a kv6
Not completely true, some KV6's have had some HG problems but they are less common than the K4 engines.

There are members on here (or maybe ex members by now) who have had gasket issues with their ZS180's but not recently.

·
Registered
731 Posts
thats good because there are plenty ZS 180's around sub £1000.
it has a great chassis, and the mk2 with a bit of tweeking can take 9x17" rims with some serious rubber.

the zr160 may be a slightly quicker car, it is lighter and has a close ratio box (4.2 final drive) something that the zs 180 is seriously lacking.

best track mods on a 180 are suspension, camber, lsd (torsen is fine and v cheap) and a close ratio box.

I am recommending a zr160 to a friend who is thinking track toy, over a 180. the tf 160 is agreat option, but usually nearer the 1300-1500 mark whereas zr160 is 7-800 in the trade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have found that the ZR's advertised under £1500 are a bit worn or some boy racer has burned it out. The ZS however at £1000 or just under just feel less tired.
A ZR would be my preference and I continue to look but I am on the west cost of scotland and there are not any available here at the moment. :(

·
Registered
157 Posts
I wont lie, modifying the bubble's (200/25/ZR) can be very expensive and turning them into capable track toys can end up costing a heap of money.

They are bloody good fun though!

·
Registered
951 Posts
I wont lie, modifying the bubble's (200/25/ZR) can be very expensive and turning them into capable track toys can end up costing a heap of money.

They are bloody good fun though!
. . . .but not everyone will 'modify' their bubble to the same extent as you have though ;)

Good fun would be had by a stock BRM . . . . but put a bucket seat on or you'll slide about everywhere :) Don't misunderstand, I really like the BRM interior, but it's built for comfort, not for speed!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right guys going to look at a couple of ZS 180's this weekend any do's and dont's or dead give aways I should look for and especially walk away from.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another option has just appeared, a ZR120 for £650.. What about modding that from the ground up, which I was gonna do with a 160 any way,and then put a vvc in it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Another option has just appeared, a ZR120 for £650.. What about modding that from the ground up, which I was gonna do with a 160 any way,and then put a vvc in it.
By the time you update the brakes and when you consider that the 160 has a stronger gearbox with closer ratios and a lower final drive, then perhaps a 120 would not be so cost effective if you decide to go the ZR route.

·
Registered
507 Posts
By the time you update the brakes and when you consider that the 160 has a stronger gearbox with closer ratios and a lower final drive, then perhaps a 120 would not be so cost effective if you decide to go the ZR route.
160 also had stiffer springs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts