MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is sad sticking a towbar on this car but i need to to tow my caravan. Any one had any experience fitting one as one company i rang said that they'd have to cut the re bumper, does anyone no if this is the case. Not to keen on cutting it would prefer to try to hide it as much as possible.
Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
237 Posts
There is an official removable tow bar for the ZS, my dealer gave me a copy of the options brochure and prices.

But it isn't cheap, works out at:

£345 for the detachable tow bar
£135 or £195 depending on what electrics you need

probably the £195 if your towing a caravan, so your looking at the best part of £550 !!!

I need to fit a towbar to my ZS180 too, but to tow the race car which is gonna be sprayed platinum silver to match :)

Stu

·
Registered
67 Posts
My mate's ZR diesel had a tow-bar fitted by a "guy he knew" which saved him a packet, but he had to cu tinto the rear bib spoiler. He intends to reverse the car into a post before he has to give it back to the company.

Insidentally, though, he says the ZRD is the best tow-car has has ever had - effortless pulling power, and the firm suspension meant the car remained level. - Looks a bit odd pulling a caravan though. You could probably still overtake with ease!

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
I've got a towbar on the ZT - twin electrics etc... Cost about 400 quid I think if memory serves.

It really is worth paying the extra to get the official model - yes, they had to cut the bumper (I think!), but they did a great job, and only had to cut it underneath, which is out of site - those that don't know I have one wouldn't notice it easily when the detachable bit (the ball) is off...

The only problem you might have pulling a caravan with the ZS is grip on grassy surfaces - the big tyres aren't great on wet grass, going uphill, especially if you add 1 tonne of caravan to the back!

Hope that helps - need any more info?

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
PS, not that I condone it, but the ZT makes a great towcar, and pulls our 'van comfortably above the speed limit... (on a private test track of course)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
As I just had the digicam out and thought about it, I thought I'd take a couple of pictures of the towbar to show how it doesn't show when the ball is off.

Not a great quality picture, but I think you'll get the idea!

From underneath:

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nick
Thanks for all your help I am going to ring my local dealer to find out how much it will cost me, after seeing your photo's it has convinced meto go for the factory option as you cannot see it. I think that my car should be more than capable of towing my little van as it is only a 2 berth and weights next to nothing. And not only that I told the misses that it would be a more comfortable ride than my old calibra turbo which easily towed above the limit.
Any way as for towing on grass, there's always plenty of those 4x4 things on evey site a polite chat with and owner would soon get the van off, not only that most of the sites I use are level pitched sites.
Once again thanks for all your help and advise.
Andy :D

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Not a problem my friend... That's what we're all here for... :)

BTW, it might be slightly different on ZS/45, but (AFAIK) you still can't see it when the ball is unattached on that car...

BTW, yes, we use mostly flat sites too, but there is the odd occasion parking in a farm site etc that they aren't always level.

Agreed on the 4x4 thing - most people are genuinely willing to help out when they see you struggling... Of course, what I really need is a 4x4 400bhp ZT..... :)

Please please please please please please please please please please please please... :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Toby, could you explain the mongram scheme and does it apply if you already own the vehicle. I got a quote yesterday from a dealer for both the fixed bracket and the removable bracket and they were £374 and £524 resectively would love to reduce the cost of it as I want the removable hitch.

Cheers
:beerchug
Andy

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Prices!!

The official price for a Z range towbar is now 350 quid including fitting (for all models)....

Not a bad price to pay for getting the official job I reckon personally...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts