MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all checked my oil and noticed it was a bit low , so i popped down to local car place and they reccommend 5w 30 fully synthetic so i bought it and put some in to top up, now ive been looking on here and most people are running 5w 40 will ihave any engine problems with this ?

cheers luke.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
they probably had a surplus of 5W-30 they wanted to get rid of. lol. It's thinner but maybe not a bad thing for older engines. I use 0W-40 myself.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
so i wont have any problems with the engine then?
If you're just topping up I don't really see a problem. Question is, when was the last time you did a full oil change and why has the level dipped? Is it a high mileage engine? Maybe an oil expert here can give you a more definitive answer.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Should not be a problem but do you know what's in there anyway? You shouldn't mix different oils really, but once again, its not going to do any harm.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well it recently had a service about 3 weeks ago, and it had fully synthetic oil in there but not sure what was put in as i was not there.
i was just was washing the car and decided to check oil levels and there was only a bit of oil on the bottom of the dipstick so i topped it up, i took the engine cover off to check for any drops of oil or leaks and i couldnt see any ....will see how it goes over next week or soo, its only done 49,000 so not a high miler.

its never lost oil before as the last service was 10,000 miles ago and no drop in oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts