MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I borrowed a heat gun off a mate and had a go at the rear screen. I messed up the first try by having the gun too hot and creasing the film plus I hadn't shaped it properly so it kept getting 'fingers' at the lower edge. I then tried the multi piece method but that failed as well.

By this time I only had a piece of film big enough to reach the bottom edge of the brake light so thought i'd try that then use two pieces either side of the brake light to fill the gap, I would then get some more film and re-do the join along the top heater wire as it would be clearly visible across the glass. I then started to shape the film and it was going OK until the heat gun broke so I had to go and buy another one to replace my mates.

I came back, finished shaping the film (took ages, not 2 minutes like Youtube videos!) then went to move it to the inside and realised that after going to Homebase I had put the film on the wrong way round so the adhesive wouldn't touch the screen .

I turned it over and re shaped it which thankfully didn't take long. I then fitted it and was very pleased with the results, it looked almost perfect. I then wished I had given up and waited for the new film to arrive so I could have done it all in one piece but as I had spend 7 hours getting to that point I decided to leave it as I didn't want to go through it all again!

As I still needed more film to do the other windows I went on to ebay to order some more but I am not sure if it is the same stuff! This could be a real problem if the colour doesn't match on the back window (the level of tint is the same and it is from the same company as before but now comes as 2 x 3m rolls instead of 1 x 6m roll).

I am reluctant to remove the film as when I did this on my wife's car it removed the heater wires as well, It had been on there months rather than days though.

I think it looks brilliant,

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
your getting a dab hand at this tinting stuff now lol, shame you so far away as i want the back window done in my van

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
The only problem is at night time you cant see when reversing.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Dont do the front side windows!!!!

Can still see blue lights when they are on, at night, out of the back!!!

Even more so during daylight!!!

:wave:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only problem is at night time you cant see when reversing.
They are the same tints I used on my wife's car and the visibity is fine. Having said that I did find it tricky reversing the car in to the car port and it will be worse when I do the rear passenger ones.

Dont do the front side windows!!!!

Can still see blue lights when they are on, at night, out of the back!!!

Even more so during daylight!!!

I will be leaving the front ones well alone!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Nice job there Andy, could this be another sideline business for you, I think you would get alot of business doing this. :yup:

Is the film dark smoke or limo? I'll post up some pics of mine once I have cleaned the car, will be at the weekend. As others have said can you see out the back windscreen okay to reverse, or do you have reversing sensors?

Or if your like me I just use the door mirrors being an lgv driver! lol :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
They are the same tints I used on my wife's car and the visibity is fine. Having said that I did find it tricky reversing the car in to the car port and it will be worse when I do the rear passenger ones.

May be worth installing some reversing sensors Andy?

I will be leaving the front ones well alone!
Lol, you don't want too be pulled over lol :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice job there Andy, could this be another sideline business for you, I think you would get alot of business doing this. :yup:

Is the film dark smoke or limo? I'll post up some pics of mine once I have cleaned the car, will be at the weekend. As others have said can you see out the back windscreen okay to reverse, or do you have reversing sensors?

Or if your like me I just use the door mirrors being an lgv driver! lol :rolleyes:
It is dark smoke (lets in 15% of the light minus the standard tint on top of that). It is the same tint I used on my wife's car and there are no issues with the visibility.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
It is dark smoke (lets in 15% of the light minus the standard tint on top of that). It is the same tint I used on my wife's car and there are no issues with the visibility.
Nice!! It will look wicked once you do the rear windows as well. It will transform the look of your zed. :thumbup:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It will, I can't wait to finish it off. I am slightly worried though as the company don't seem to do the same film so I hope the film the do now matches.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
I found that the rear side windows and the rear screen darken the car enough so that you dont really notice that the fronts arnt tinted.

When I picked my one up, after having the dark tints removed, I said to the guy that the new tints on the front looked good. He said that he hadnt put the lighter tint on and it was just the o/e finish.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was only going to do the rear ones, it is mainly to keep the sun off my little boy as the blinds are rubbish, the ones on the rear screen kept falling off and when they were down I couldn't see a thing through them.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Nice job and looks fantastic!! I hate them on road cars though, can't see what's up ahead so well when you're behind them - still, better than not being able to see in through passenger side and out drivers side when on the left of cars at junctions.

Nice work though mate, you should start doing that for cash

your getting a dab hand at this tinting stuff now lol, shame you so far away as i want the back window done in my van
Will look fantastic on your van!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts