MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go to Google Maps. Get directions from Japan to China.

Look for direction No.43 and tell me that isn't cool.:)

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll tell you that it's wrong!

That is not the Pacific Ocean, it is the East China Sea!

And at 782Km is well beyond the range of the vehicle suggested :dunno:
We all know that! Just having a laugh at Google Maps.:bah:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Has anyone had a look at Japan to United States...direction 27 and 38 :D

·
Registered
867 Posts
And also unnecessary since Taiwan is part of China so you don't actually need to go anywhere ;)
Well I am sure the government of PDR of China would agree with you but suspect the goverment of Taiwan would be upset by your views. The last time is was part of China was in 1895 when it was ceded to the Japanese.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Well I am sure the government of PDR of China would agree with you but suspect the goverment of Taiwan would be upset by your views. The last time is was part of China was in 1895 when it was ceded to the Japanese.
That's not right, China claimed Taiwan back at the end of world war 2, China then had a civil war which the government based in Nanjing lost resulting in the current situation of China having two governments:

In 1949, after major combat ended in the Chinese Civil War, two states calling themselves "China" emerged:

The People's Republic of China (PRC), established in 1949, commonly known as China, has control over mainland China and the largely self-governing territories of Hong Kong (since 1997) and Macau (since 1999).

The Republic of China (ROC) established in 1912 in mainland China, now commonly known as Taiwan, has control over the islands of Taiwan, Penghu, Kinmen, Matsu, the Pratas island group, and a few other outlying islands.
Both governments would happily claim ownership of the whole of China so would both be quite happy with my post!

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
Taiwan is certainly Chinese.

Hong Kong has gone the same way. Still a great place - but not as dynamic as it was. But happy to go back there nevertheless.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Has anyone done that one? It's fighting the winds a little but must be possible.
Whats the chances of arriving at your destination suffering from 'popeye syndrome' :D

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
So is Singapore, doen't make either part of China!
The island of Singapore was British until nearly 1965 and since then has been independant. It has never been Chinese. It's first language is English.

Many people who live there are Chinese, but many others are British, 50% of people who live there are foreigners!

Taiwan is part of China, it is just that following the Chinese civil war it is an independant part of China with a seperate government. It gives itself the official name of "The Republic of China ".

·
Registered
867 Posts
The original inhabitants of Taiwan were not Chinese and the Chinese did not take it over until the end of the 17th century when they displaced the Dutch. They lost it again in 1895 to the Japanese. In the broad sweep of history Chinese "ownership” of Taiwan has, at the best, been tenuous and assuredly Peking has had no control over it for over a century.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
The original inhabitants of Taiwan were not Chinese and the Chinese did not take it over until the end of the 17th century when they displaced the Dutch. They lost it again in 1895 to the Japanese. In the broad sweep of history Chinese "ownership” of Taiwan has, at the best, been tenuous and assuredly Peking has had no control over it for over a century.
You will be saying that the Falkland Islands are French next :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts