MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You couldn't give these away :~

Tidy MG Maestro EFi

Bidding up to £1,320 with over two days still to go.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have posted this on a few other MG and Rover car enthusiasts sites. My main motive being to show how things and their values can change with the passing of time. Most of our MG Zeds and Rovers are largely now seen in a less than favourable light by the ignorant out there who vastly outnumber those of us who are enthusiastic about these cars.

I predict that the same thing will happen to many Rover and MG cars in the future. At the moment, their values are at or close to rock bottom. Keep one or two in good shape if you have space and you will not lose money on them. I'm convinced quite the opposite. Considering what I paid for it close to ten years ago, some of the impromptu offers ( uninvited I stress ) I have received for it in the recent past are very, very tempting. However, I resist them all much preferring to keep this nice old car which even today can show a clean pair of rear wheels to many of the more modern stuff folks hold in high regard, much to their chagrin I might add .... good eh ... ;)

This is my MG Montego Turbo :~

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Nice Montego Turbo, didnt they stop production of the Maestro Turbo because it was too fast to be let loose on the roads.

I have been more than pleased with my ZS derv, had it 4 years now, great cars, like all the ZS range.

This is the time to buy a V6, crazy prices at the moment.

:wave:

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
Nice Montego Turbo, didnt they stop production of the Maestro Turbo because it was too fast to be let loose on the roads.

I have been more than pleased with my ZS derv, had it 4 years now, great cars, like all the ZS range.

This is the time to buy a V6, crazy prices at the moment.

:wave:
Well, yes you can pick up an early ZS180 for much less than £1k, but there is still the £215/year road tax, and petrol is at least £1.33 / litre which works against any large engined petrol car.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Well, yes you can pick up an early ZS180 for much less than £1k, but there is still the £215/year road tax, and petrol is at least £1.33 / litre which works against any large engined petrol car.
£260 and £136/L!

I bought my maestro EFi for £320 a few years ago thanks to a heads up from John, based on £1320 for a 95k maestro it is now worth more than my ZS!

It is insured for £3k ;)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
However, zero depreciation now does not work against it... :)

If folks sat down and carefully and truthfully costed every detail of the running costs of their newer cars, yes even the so called frugal modern diesels, they'd have a shock just how much they do cost to run. Most folks would not include depreciation which is always considerable to massive.

One of my Rover 620ti I bought six years ago only cost me £1500 then for a one owner car showing 69,000 on the clock. No way would I want to sell this car and if I did, it would struggle to make half that initial buy cost. Pointless selling because where could I now get a car which will carry up to five people with a boot full of luggage, then cruise well into three figures when circumstances allow and obtain mid-30s mpg when driven with economy in mind.

So an MG ZS180 does use a bit more of the go faster juice than some, but it is a much nicer driving experience than many. Plus no depreciation now. Thus, like my 620ti, in real terms total overall running costs would be much less than a more modern car.

Forget all that 'residuals' BS used as a new car sales tool, it's depreciation that is the unconsidered unseen big cost in buying a new car, even if like me you negotiate a decent discount. My MG ZS bought new in May 2003 still looks, drives and feels like new nearly nine years later. My better half who mainly drives the car is the most un-car enthusiast person I know. However, she always likes driving the ZS and loves the car which says a lot in my books. So, if she were to change, what could she get without spending thousands which would be as nice a place to be as the ZS? I cannot think of anything. same with the 620ti.

·
Passionate about MGR.Cars.
4,082 Posts
We Bought our 1990 MG Montego in March 2009 for £900, spent loads on it & it is probably worth (to the right person) as much as the 2006 Rover 25 we have!

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
as you all know I stil have my ZS after ten years (eleven in November) to sell and buy another car would be folly, by keeping it I'm probably in profit!

I had a silver Monty Turbo just like the one above, if the scumbags had not stolen it and torched it, I would most likely still have it.

kelv

·
MG ZS 180 MGB GT V8
159 Posts
Kelv,

How do you think your turbo would compare to a 180 ? They look similar on paper, at least in a straight line.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
South Wales Police Driving School had one of those when I did my Advanced Driving Course in 1984 and all the instructors agreed it was the fastest car that they had at that time. The others were 4.2 Jags, Granada Ghia X Pack, Vauxhall Senators. Only observations were, it was bloody dangerous when the turbo kicked in if you were off anything but a perfect straight line.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
as you all know I stil have my ZS after ten years (eleven in November) to sell and buy another car would be folly, by keeping it I'm probably in profit!

I had a silver Monty Turbo just like the one above, if the scumbags had not stolen it and torched it, I would most likely still have it.

kelv
Last time I saw you Kelvin, you were at a track and driving a White MG Montego Turbo. Unless my memory has let me down. I was a good few years ago.

People who have difficulty driving Monty Turbos must be doing it wrong. Back about 1985, at Silverstone, one of the supporting races was about twenty MG Montego Turbos in a celebrity event. Some of the celebs were experienced pro-race drivers including former F1 types.

Quite wrongly, I thought it would be a walkover for the pro-drivers. It was not! Some of the celebs showed them how to drive them. Amazing!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I saw that ebay advert for the MG, I remember seeing it at the Pride of Longbridge 2 years ago. It was a cracking example, well worth the money for the right person!

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
I had a BRG Monty Turbo for a while and a White one too for a while, both suffered from an oil leak from engine/gearbox/driveshaft area, neither were as good as the Silver one which when I bought it had 28,000k miles on the clock.
There are pictures of both cars(green & white) some where on t'internet, 1 both togeter, as I had 2 at the same, and pictured seperately. Pictures of the Silver one too.

The turbo off the line, and in a straight line quicker than a 180 I would say, but handling and driveability of the V6 far superior, as you would expect for a much newer car, thats not say you cant put a montego thru it paces say thru the Milton Keynes roundabouts :)

Many people did not like the 'tourque steer' of the Monty, never bothered me, I learnt to drive thru it and with it.. the soft but sticky Yokos did'nt last very long either :D

·
Passionate about MGR.Cars.
4,082 Posts
kelv
Sadly that happened to most of them & Maestro's. Those that didn't get torched got wrapped round lamp posts.

I remember seeing a TV news article about an H reg white Montego Turbo that got nicked, they were driving so fast & hit a lamp post or tree & it broke in half!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts