MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone read this ,written by Christopher Booker. Looks very closely at the evidence for warming and finds a hell of a lot of holes in the science or lack of tangible evidence provided by the scientific community tasked with studying this . Al Gore has made millions from his scaremongering.

Interestingly the University of East Anglia provides a lot of the info the IPCC bases its reports on.The Director of this faculty still refuses to share his data with anyone allied to any scepticism.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
tbh im pretty sceptical about it too,
what i do believe: i completely understand that man is responsible for the hole in the ozone layer with cfc gases, but this is repairing itself now we realised what was going on.
the outlet of sulpher from factorys(which isnt such a big thing now) causing acid rain affecting ph balance of lakes killing fish and killing woodland

what i dont believe, our carbon dioxide taxes, seriosly the amount of carbon dioxide released by man is minute compared to he amount created by nature, anyone have any idea how much carbon dioxide came out that volcano, a lot! carbon dioxide comes out the sea, any volcanic activity,

the real excuse for the "global warming" is so they can justify the tax's for all of us, plant more trees, let the trees eat the carbon dioxide and create more oxygen, its a start at least.

actually just ocured to me, i have lots of trees in my garden can i claim back tax on them for all the carbon dioxide they convert into oxygen? i must be owed a lot infact!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[
actually just ocured to me, i have lots of trees in my garden can i claim back tax on them for all the carbon dioxide they convert into oxygen? i must be owed a lot infact![/QUOTE]

Do not joke about this it is called trading in Carbon Credits and millions are made in thier transfer between countries by a Company set up by Al Gore !

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
I can remember the days when the heating was electricity, gas or coal, all in those days made by burning coal.

The Black Country, an area of coal, steel and iron, used to pump out tons of smoke, London had its smog caused by all the coal fires.

And that had been going on for a hundred years or so.

We then had the clean air act, which stopped most of the smoke and we started to get cleaner fuels, natural gas, nuclear power, and coal fires slowly phased out.

This was offset by clearing rain forests to get at the timber and use the ground for farming.

So I'm sure you can make the figures prove whatever you want them to.

I reckon we have had Cyclic Ice Ages since the Earth started, so I suppose we also had Global Warming when the Ice Ages finished!

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1621199/research_claims_earth_facing_ice_age/

This Global Warming scare is another way to get taxes off us, by charging for "green, environmental" initiatives.

:wave:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*sigh*

I think its important to remember that the politics of global warming are a long, long way away from the science of climate change.

I think its important to remember that every Wind Farm has an oil fired generator ticking over......... why ?...... to kick in when the wind dont blow !

Aint political, but dead scientific

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
interesting discussion.
I dont know wether climate change is real or not tbh but i know that as the dominant and responsible species the book stops with us and we should take more care of our planet, we are the caretakers, no other species can be blamed, collectively we kill off whole species each and every day, most small and unnoticed but pandas, eagles, tigers, rhinos etc etc etc, we have already killed off countless species forever and for this we should hang our heads in shame.
We go about our daily lives not even noticing the natural world around us, but we need to sit up and notice because in a generation or 2 many things we take for granted will be gone and then we will realise what has has been lost and we will mourn it in vain too little too late.
I have spent many long hours walking along rivers or in woodlands spotting rabbits, squirrels, badgers, foxs and birds etc and its a beautifull and exciting experience my childrens children may never know.
I think our lifestyles are too busy and too matrerialistic to notice the simple treasures around us and its a real shame.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
TBH the whole CO2 thing ****es me off, water has more of a green house effect than CO2. And what are hyrdrogren cars pumping out? water.

Truth of the matter is, the Sun is responsible for heating this planet, nothing else. And, the sun is subject to cycles and can be determined by sun spots (Do some googling, and the sun has over the last 200 - 300 years entered a new cycle affecting cloud formation and weather patterns due to solar falres)

All in all, CO2 is 0.039 of the atmosphere and water 0.4. Water has an effect of around 36-70% and CO2 9-26%

The math speaks millionsl

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
interesting discussion.
I dont know wether climate change is real or not tbh but i know that as the dominant and responsible species the book stops with us and we should take more care of our planet, we are the caretakers, no other species can be blamed...
Absolutely agree with everything you said there.

And we're running out of fossil fuels anyway so whether it's causing global warming or not is not that relevant any more. We're at a stage where we're drilling two miles under water for oil, and it's getting tricky as the recent disaster shows. It's crystal clear to me where this is going.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Pete b - again political; power companies are told that an increasing amount of their electricity generation needs to come from renewable sources, and thats pretty much the cheapest and easiest way to do it. The science of this simply states that wind power is not enough - there isnt enough wind blowing constantly over europe to provide all the power we need. Add to that that wind turbines are ridiculous anyway (they're ridiculously fragile). Nuclear power really is the only viable option at the minute.

ViT - you answer your own argument in your post - it's all about %age increase. "All in all, CO2 is 0.039 of the atmosphere and water 0.4. Water has an effect of around 36-70% and CO2 9-26%" basically means that if we add the same volume of CO2 or H2O, the smaller concentration will be affected to a greater extent. Lets say that anthropogenic input adds 0.02% to the overall atmospheric content of either CO2 or H2O. This would result in ~0.06% CO2 or 0.42% H2O. This is a relative 150% increase in CO2, or 105% wrt H2O. Anthropogenic activity, ie your car, will affect the atmosphere one way or another, but an output of H2O would be much less damaging to the overall composition of the atmosphere and therefore the effect on climate.
Indeed, the maths does speak millions, but perhaps not in the way you intended...

Parsec - the drilling of oil isnt especially getting any trickier, and we find oil fields semiregularly. Also, as the price of oil increases, lower grade reservoirs are now becoming financially viable for exploitation. Yes, we're reducing the overall amount of oil stored underground, but I dont think we need to worry yet from that point of view.

·
The Pope
3,408 Posts
interesting discussion.
I dont know wether climate change is real or not tbh but i know that as the dominant and responsible species the book stops with us and we should take more care of our planet, we are the caretakers, no other species can be blamed...
I couldn't agree more. The biggest danger we pose is the vast over population caused by irresposible people who havn't the brains to realise the terrible damage they are doing to the world by continuously breeding. The populatuion of the world has doubled in my lifetime and shows no sign of slowing down, infact its accelerating. Dont tax cars, tax humpers.

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Don't worry about it, when the fossil fuels get to the point of demand exceeding supply the CO2 problem will take care of itself . . so will the global over population problem . . so will a lot of problems actually :D

Mankind has a big shock coming . . .

·
Registered
647 Posts
The heat of the planet is controlled by a number of factors, the sun has a cycle, the oceans have a cycle the whole planet is in a cycle that control the temerature. Human's definatly are a factor but a very very small one.

We obviously need to use our resources as efficently as possible while doing as little damage to the planet as possible but I believe when it comes to global warming we control less than 1% of what is happening.

I read somewhere that the last 12 years the average temp has dropped, '98 was the last hotest year.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pete b - again political; power companies are told that an increasing amount of their electricity generation needs to come from renewable sources, and thats pretty much the cheapest and easiest way to do it. The science of this simply states that wind power is not enough - there isnt enough wind blowing constantly over europe to provide all the power we need. Add to that that wind turbines are ridiculous anyway (they're ridiculously fragile). Nuclear power really is the only viable option at the minute.
France awoke to this energy shortfall years ago.Must be 35 to 40 % sufficient in Nuclear power for electricity at present ?

We are to late ,the lights will go out before a decision is made on our energy programme.

·
Registered
421 Posts
France awoke to this energy shortfall years ago.Must be 35 to 40 % sufficient in Nuclear power for electricity at present ?

We are to late ,the lights will go out before a decision is made on our energy programme.
You can thank pointless activist groups like Greenpeace for that!!

To be honest you can't respect anything a body responsable for reporting 'facts' says when some of those facts are very publicly shown to be wrong or the fact that despite the moans about the clearing of rainforest, non of the governing body's actually do anything about it, they just hold yet more meeting in exotic locations where representatives from all the country's have to fly out in private jets...it's a joke.

·
7,110 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts

·
7,110 Posts
Parsec - the drilling of oil isnt especially getting any trickier, and we find oil fields semiregularly... but I dont think we need to worry yet from that point of view.
Maybe not the drilling but problems are hard to put right - they'll be resorting to nukes next to close up those busted wells!

As for worrying about oil running out, there's a bunch of people who think 'peak oil' has already happened. I can't decide either way myself but there's a good book out there on it, I recommended it to my mate and he enjoyed it, can't remember the name of it now though.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Speaking of nuclear power check this out

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...vernight-with-a-nuclear-dash-for-thorium.html

interesting point about the French holding this back.
Money for old rope. But I guess putting "Obama" in the title makes it more interesting!

On BBC Panorama the other night there were people hand pollinating wild plants because there aren't enough insects to do the job. Skies empty of birds, seas devoid of fish. Real threats to food production and human survival. Bringing down CO2 omissions isn't going change any of that. The earth has warmed up and it's going to warm up some more. The whole emphasis needs to change.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts