MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down to Soper's today to have a look at the new Mini. Very nice car indeed. English art at it's best I thought. Shame about the engine though, should have had a "K" in it.

Anyway, no good for the wife, strictly a 4 seater, we need 5 on occasions. Guess it's going to be an MGR or another R25 if we replace the baby barge.

Jim

G

·
I too agree - but wait till Dave Harrison reads your post. You'll have to call the fire brigade to put the FIRES out!

One thing you say is that's a 4 seater. Personally I think it's a 2 +2. In short a Sportscar alternative. We had one on order and cancelled it for the MGF 1.8i, after the *** debacle. Maybe we should have taken delivery? :(

A mate from Belgium was looking at importing a Cooper S for £12k to sell on, not heard any more.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Cooper S

I dont know if anyone see autocar today-they road tested the "s".
straight line speed aint everything but 0-100 in 21.9 is hardly setting the world alight.
0-60 was 7.6 in the dry so the ZR160 hasn't much to worry about.
just cant work out why they went for the iron block supercharged unit that puts out the same peak power as the VVC.
kev

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I'll tell you why. During the later development stages, *** tried to cosy up to DaimlerChrysler in an attempt to get them to share development costs for Rover models they were planning, and one of the payoffs was that ***would order shedloads of their engines. And the only model under advanced enough development for this deal to work was the MINI. Even some senior *** engineers weren't happy about this, preferring the flexibility and pedigree of the K. When the DC deal hit the buffers it was already signed off and too late for any retrograde steps to be trod. So now all it needs is someone like Myneer to offer K powered MINI's to release its true potential...Hell, I might even go and see one of them!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yep, it was all that Wolfgang Reitzles fault, he didn't want to redesign the MINI bonnet to accept the K and told Rover engineers the design of the K was ''flawed'', it was his way of saying we're going elsewhere for an engine.

G

·
Oxford Good News

Just announced on local TV that *** have produced the 100,000 Mini (25,000 for the UK). It was headlined the "Incredible Success Story continues"

·
I'm not as think as you confused am I
1,023 Posts
Maybe they have shovelled 100,000 of 'em out, but who in their right mind ( apart from 'style freaks') wants to own a car larger than a Nissan Almera with no rear legroom? I seem to remember the press slagging off the R25 for lack of rear room...but they're surprisingly quiet over the Mini...(ching, ching, back pocket, Thank You)....Or am I just cynical?;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.