MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Chris
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Goodwood Festival of Speed today and MG had a section in the walk through tent in to the park, lots of other manufactures cars there as well.

Saw the MG6 there and it looks like the early drawings that came out after MG went down.

my first impression was french looking from the front with a bmw look back.

inside wasn't to bad but think they may still be using the PG1 gearbox on the car still as it has a 1.8T engine.

does anyone else know about this car, i've heard of it before that it was in development but is it soon to be released?

The styling is placid, the ZS180 had a look about it, but the MG6 looks ordinary?. Shame because i think it needed to be at least 240bhp as standard setup with a catchy look like the focus ST, it's not to over the top styling, but you know it's an ST.

any thoughts on this

·
Longbridge !
3,306 Posts
Where've you been ?

The new MG6, it's been on sale in China for a bit now.

Dec 2010 here.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Where've you been ?

The new MG6, it's been on sale in China for a bit now.

Dec 2010 here.
Yes, it's been on sale since Dec 2009 in China but it was good to see it on UK roads.

While it would/will be good to have 240 bhp, I think 240 as standard on a car costing maybe 15K is a little excessive and with the current cost of petrol would loose them most of the potential customers. Nothing wrong with putting an optional big V6 in there though.

To me it did look distinctive, there where a lot of other cars there that you had to wait untill you could read their badges to work out what they were but the MG6 you could tell apart from a long distance.

Was a nice ride too, although far more ZT than ZS.

I suspect a V6 would/will have some extra bodykit over standard as with the ZS!

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
I was at festival of speed on Thursday and saw the MG6... I don't think ugly is fair.... Boring? Yes! Uninspiring? Yep! Disappointing dull? Hell yeah! :)

Not ugly though :D
I think you would say the same about a ZS120? But you did buy a ZS...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think you would say the same about a ZS120? But you did buy a ZS...
Yep, think you're right. I'd probably even say it about the 180 in some of the colours it's available in. Some cars look dull if presented in a dull colour... Trophy Blue though... Mmmmm hubba hubba! :D

Perhaps the MG6 just couldn't compete for my attention with the number of more dramatic / exciting cars which were there... Just wasn't special enough. :-/

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Yep, think you're right. I'd probably even say it about the 180 in some of the colours it's available in. Some cars look dull if presented in a dull colour... Trophy Blue though... Mmmmm hubba hubba! :D

Perhaps the MG6 just couldn't compete for my attention with the number of more dramatic / exciting cars which were there... Just wasn't special enough. :-/
Yes, there where some more "dramatic" cars, but would you actually buy this Citroen?

And this "Austin" might have been fast but wasn't very practical:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, there where some more "dramatic" cars, but would you actually buy this Citroen?

And this "Austin" might have been fast but wasn't very practical:
Did you hear the noise when they moved the citroen? It was immense! I haven't got the funds to buy it and would be too scared to drive it at that price. :)

From the sounds of it I think we had different reasons for enjoying the show (which is completely fair enough. We're all different) I wasn't looking at any of the cars there as a potential buying prospect so wasn't evaluating anything for how practical it was to take to the shops. I wanted to see something different and exciting.

To me the MG6 will probably just blend in with regular road cars. It's not really turning my head. That might be what the majority of people want and if so I'm sure it'll do really well. It's not on my wish list though, sorry! :) It'd be boring if we all liked the same things. :)

·
Longbridge !
3,306 Posts
I like the MG6 a lot, especially the coupe version.

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
Was at FOS on Thurs & Fri.

After seeing it again - I can say I don't like it.

Only because of silly things really. Think the front bumper treatment is awful and those wheels may look good on a TF 85th - but not on this car. Also wheels too small.

MG get some feedback in a Forum at Longbridge and sort out these silly errors.

Check out other manufacturers wheel designs and get a grip.

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
That's cos it so friggin ugly :D
Kelvin I want to like it - but can't. I remember the excitement when the 75 was launched and I loved it. It was RETRO with top quality fitment depending on spec.

This car doesn't have that excitement.

I also remember the MINI build-up: the marketing was stupendous and this was when it was owned by Rover. What a car?

Is this one of the same ilk?

Finally, its not people o this Forum they need to convince its the British public.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Was at FOS on Thurs & Fri.

After seeing it again - I can say I don't like it.

Only because of silly things really. Think the front bumper treatment is awful and those wheels may look good on a TF 85th - but not on this car. Also wheels too small.

MG get some feedback in a Forum at Longbridge and sort out these silly errors.

Check out other manufacturers wheel designs and get a grip.
The orange one in your picture is the Chinese car with standard small Chinese wheels, the silver one with the larger wheels is supposed to be closer to UK spec.

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
Well Joe Pubic doesn't know that Windy, unfortunately. Show the car in UK spec or not at all. The ORANGE car was at Goodwood if weren't aware, hence the picture.

I won't be buying an MG6 - but the smaller offering called MG Zero does look more funky.

MG6 - not on my shopping list.

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
I should add the Silver cars wheels are more befitting. However, I think as Spanners has said they need Peter Stevens to rework that horrible front bumper - very odd.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Well Joe Pubic doesn't know that Windy, unfortunately. Show the car in UK spec or not at all. The ORANGE car was at Goodwood if weren't aware, hence the picture.

I won't be buying an MG6 - but the smaller offering called MG Zero does look more funky.

MG6 - not on my shopping list.
Yes, I saw the orange car there, only went up the hill in the silver one though. I quite like the front!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts