MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The MG3 is about to be launched at the Guangzhou Motor Show.

It appears to be available in two paint schemes:

White with a flag:

White with floral graphics:

They both go like rockets :lol:

·
If in doubt, flat out!
1,489 Posts
4 door?????? Noooooooooooooooo!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Mini, Swift market all good for the brand tidy run about, if pushed hard like ZR
should sell well.

Price will be key on this as will warrenty

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Given that the best looking end is the front, you think they wouldve wall mounted them the other way round.
And I doubt Mini are going to be too impressed that theyre putting Union Jacks on the roof, not that either really deserve to.
And Mini/BMW have the stand just across the corridor, at present it looks like the audience will all have their backs turned towards Mini :lol:

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
WTF is it doing with a union flag on the roof? Their owns not good enough?

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WTF is it doing with a union flag on the roof? Their owns not good enough?
Tony Williams, it's chief designer lives in Birmingham, or somewhere near, and Shanghai was once British too!

They have done a better job of the flag than Mini did!

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Shanghai was once British too!
I think "once" is the important word there, being designed by someone British doesn't make something made thousands of miles away British ffs

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think "once" is the important word there, being designed by someone British doesn't make something made thousands of miles away British ffs
Does the fact that most of our union flags are made in foreign parts make them non-British too?

·
Longbridge !
3,306 Posts
Why do you say they both go like rockets? I was under the impression they weren't that quick.
I think it's the way they have been displayed, however once the 1.5 Turbo goes in who knows ?

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it's the way they have been displayed, however once the 1.5 Turbo goes in who knows ?
Like Top Gear's Robin :yup:

We don't have performance statistics yet, it hasn't even officially been announced what engines they will have.

:trek:

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Does the fact that most of our union flags are made in foreign parts make them non-British too?
Well I guess this proves you cannot win against a smart arse - just why are you so pro Chinese MG?

2nd thoughts don't bother answering that, you'll just accuse me of being racist somehow - go to the area around longbridge and ask all the ex mgr workers how British the new MG is and see how far you get...

Now wheres that ignore button...

·
MG XPower.
2,119 Posts
Well I guess this proves you cannot win against a smart arse - just why are you so pro Chinese MG?

2nd thoughts don't bother answering that, you'll just accuse me of being racist somehow - go to the area around longbridge and ask all the ex mgr workers how British the new MG is and see how far you get...

I have to agree with everything you said Gary..

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Going to the area inside longbridge would be more interesting where there are hundreds of people whose jobs depend on these cars being a success.

While building a full production line for the MG6 may not make good business sense, if these little cars are to be sold in UK/Europe then it very likely does. If anything is going to bring thousands of jobs back to Longbridge then this is it.

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
I think what it comes down to is these cars are designed primarily for the home market (which is without a doubt China). The exteriors are styled to Asian tastes and the interiors in particular are a million miles away from what a British design would look like. It's ok saying they are designed by a British guy, but again he is designing them for the Chinese market, not us.

I think selling the cars in the UK is a secondary concern, they are not expecting to do any real numbers, they're just doing it to add some authenticity for the Chinese market.

I'm not being racist or miserable, I wish them well and hope they are popular cars, but I'm 95% certain they won't be popular in Europe.

Personally, I could live with the exterior styling of these new cars if it had that "right" feeling when sitting inside like the Zed's have. Zed interiors are basic, but inoffensive and encourage you to actually focus on driving.

For me, the Zeds are the last of the true MG's. I just hope they are not all knackered by the time I have the opportunity to get another. I think maybe a ZR this time.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think selling the cars in the UK is a secondary concern, they are not expecting to do any real numbers, they're just doing it to add some authenticity for the Chinese market.
That may be true of the MG6 but it makes little sense to sell the small car in small numbers, they will want to sell it in similar numbers to its rivals.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Kind of looks like a volvo crossed with a mini, I like this car and has a good sporty lool. Should do well!

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
If anything is going to bring thousands of jobs back to Longbridge then this is it.
If that day comes then I will be happy about them taking a liberty with our flag . . . until then I think it is a dammed cheek.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts