MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now believe I have the full info - so thought I'd better recap & close the previous thread.

The Kernahan TRACK Day is on the 18th July for MG's only (guess I can't go then - :( ). Cost £100 for those wishing to participate.

Special Guest Driver: Warren Hughes (BTCC challenger)

Venue: Castle Combe Race Circuit.

MG Sport & Racing: May have an EX257 and/or 259 present too.

ZT265 will be there if released by then + they will have some of our their own cars available (including the MGF Race Car) for demonstration runs driven by their people.

Phone Kernahans - ask for Martin Kernahan - Alistair or Ian. Alistair is the days organiser. Tel: 01993 703924 for booking or more/correct info. Kernahan Website

Those going to date I believe are:

Kevin Neal - ZS180
Nick & Nat Young - ZED TEE
Max Flint - Trophy.
Me - Trophy.
Nutty Nurses Husband - ZED TEE.
Kelvin Fagan - ZS180 (not sure - maybe taking photo's)

PS. Add to the thread if you going!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Jerry - it might be worth checking if you can bring the EVO. They said it's an 'MG Day' but I thought I caught a mention of someone bringing an Elise at some point - it might have been one of the other track days and I got my wires crossed, but might be worth asking....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nn-y

Should be OK with the EVO (was bought from Martin Kernahan) :D

However, just wanted to say that the day is primarily an "MG" day. I suppose it would depend on how many people want to track their beloved MG's. :D

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Nope I thought I heard that too when speaking to Alistair on Saturday.

A couple of extras. They said you only need to wear a helment if you're driving the MGf (soft top).. Says he drives the MGF with top up because the car goes quicker.

Advised me not to get the sports exhaust on the MG until after the track day, as they tend to be a bit picky about noise from non-standard cars. (So I spent the money that we didn't have anyway on an xbox... :D)

Mentioned that they will have other cars there, but they will be driving them on demonstration runs..

Mentioned that the price was for the car, not the person, so we could both drive if we want to.

Alistair spent time with us, identified us without having seen us before. (of course we were both wearing MG fleeces so it might have been a giveaway)..

Mentioned that there will some proper aftermarket sports exhausts for the ZT soon.

Mentioned they have about 15 MGF exhausts to sell on...

Made a fool of myself getting into the garage - For those that don't know, it's quite a tight entrance off the road. We didn't know where it was, and Nat said "There it is" as we were going past it. I jammed the brakes on and turned in, but didn't quite make the turn. I then had to reverse back out into the high street to get around the bend... All the while the salesmen were having a laugh at me..

Ordered my MG valve caps from the parts shop. Might take a while because of the parts handover, but I can wait... :)

Oh, also mentioned that they didn't have any official literature about the day yet, but they will post it on as soon as they get it through.

Seemed quite pleased that Jerry was hyping the day for them... :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I Have to say

It should be a good day, I will be taking my Trophy but might have to share with the other half:rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Max

Reckon you maybe lucky - looking at the leave booked and current "roster" bids, I maybe out of luck on this one. At least there will "MAX" showing that blue ZS a clean pair of heels! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't see me taking a ZED TEE 190 around the Combe. :D

So, it looks like sharing the Trophy, if I'm here to attend.

What about all those ZR & ZS owners that have recently logged on? You know it makes sense. :D :D

·
aka Simon
579 Posts
ZT on track

I'm disappointed in you! Now I've found you can insure your road car for trackdays (and keep it separate from the road NCB) we'll definitely be bringing the 190 along for a play. Nikki's looking foward to it, and I have very fond memories of Golf Action Days at the Combe, pelting around in my old Mk2 16v.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nutty Nurses Husband

I've only driven Castle Combe once for about 20 laps and I didn't like it. The barriers scarred me and I don't want to hurt the ZT190. However, it was my first track day in my EVO VI with only 1100 miles on the clock. :D

Also have a friend who stuffed his M3 (E-30) there a couple of years ago.

Who insures you - so far I've never bothered with insurance, because they've all said "NO".

So have you booked?

·
aka Simon
579 Posts
Track insurance

Jerry,
I'll book as soon as the ZT arrives (still waiting, despite promises of a pre-Easter arrival). I just did a search in Yahoo on "Trackday Insurance". A lot of people seem to recommend Competition Car Insurance at around £50 a go (0115-941-5255), so I'll try them.
I know what you mean about the barriers though - I don't go for any lap records, I just enjoy the drive.
I take it nice and easy through Avon so I've got enough room to brake for Quarry. Old Paddock used to be my favourite, but they've put a silly chicane just before it and it's hard to get traction because you're accelerating all the way through it, without an opportunity to touch the brakes to set the car up. Camp is interesting - I always feel like I'm going to run out of road because you can't get a decent sightline, so I never take it as fast as I should.
See you there,
Simon

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I phoned up Competition Car Insurance as it was recommended by Castle Combe themselves.

CCI sent me a price list and the drift I got was that if I wanted to cover the ZT for its full value, it would cost about £350 for the day! :confused:

It also won't cover the gear box or engine....:(

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
LOL, that's ok by me. I won't be driving any faster on the track than I was on the roads yesterday..

(Any xbox gamers out there will understand this reference - Kudos points for style, great slide and 2 wheels).....

:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NNH

I'm shocked you know the circuit corners by names. :D Think I'll use the Trophy - getting a little more used to it. As for insurance -I'll try nearer the time, but I think it's a none starter.

N & NY

Same speed as on the road - don't believe you - as soon as the red mist appears. :D

Main reason for selling the EVO, too easy to drive and the mist was always present. MAX used to say: "it brings the worst out in you" - I was always smiling though!

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Well our standard road insurance is covering me for the track day. I am presuming this will affect my no-claims if I claim however.

CCI are known to be the best in Scooby circles apparently, but cover can be prohibitively expensive for regular use...

Jerry, Red mist? What's that then? I for one never drive anywhere above 30mph..... :D:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Circuit Map

Just thought I would attach a link to the Combe cct. Going to put an events page on the main site - linking to the Forum at a later date!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Has anyone driven castle combe?? i would like a blow by blow acount of the track,ie the worst corners and any dodgy bits.

thanks kev

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Drove it in my EVO VI. Scarred the **** out of me. "Quarry" is the worst corner - get on the marbles and you think you are going to skate off. You need to learn the lines!

Also, the esses are fast chicanes, if you can get through them fast.

Friend two years ago stuffed his M3 (E30) at Folly. I thought that corner was OK???

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Yup, second those comments - most of the track is quick, but be very very careful at quarry. I've seen many more experienced people than me get it completely wrong at quarry... Just make sure you take the right line through the corner, and you'll be fine for the rest of it....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Half Full

Heard today that there are plenty of vacancies left for this.

Suits me - at least we will have more track time if no one turns up. :D

Also listed all events we would like to attend here XPower Events

1 - 20 of 33 Posts