MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

Should MEGA be allowed to join this Forum?

• Yes.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • No.

Votes: 30 90.9%
  • Don't know.

Votes: 1 3.0%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Someone posted as MEGA (maybe him as the spelling and grammar fits his profile) on the mini-board associated with another site I host. Other BB

Take a look, if he serious about joining this board - do we let him? Personally, I think we can cope with inane drivel - as each Forum is moderated. But, if you think it could be too much to handle then, this forum can ban his - IP's - e-mail addresses you name it. :D

PS. However, lets not dwell on the subject too long, but thought you may like to know!

For those who don't know MEGA - he is a Liverpudlian who is always insulting people on other boards and is constantly praising Fords!

The IP of the post was IP:194.202.121.38 - does it ring any bells?:(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
xpower

you have the power we don't won't such nuts on this site
at the mo we have a good crowd and intresting talk goes onllet's hope they take note.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
If we did he may get the idea that some actually value his views.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The whole point of a forum such as this, and why it is succsessful, is that it is NOT an open access for all sorts of idiots. Here, we can enjoy discussing all things MG-R without inane, arrogant, self-opinionated views from the likes of him. Healthy debate is essential on all forums, but as we have seen, he does not know how to engage in proper debate without being personal or vacously offensive.
Let him join.....But be prepared for a few contributors to unsubscribe. Myself included. :mad: :mad: :mad:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, his IP goes into the block list now - any other IP's he may have then this will be done.

Dave, if the likes of you unsubscibed then I'll shut the board - at a vast loss of face and money. As the point of it will be lost. :(

Jerry

PS. I perfectly understand your point of view. The trouble is he can sign on as anything.

Another question, do you think the post was him?

PSS. These IP's are banned - believed to be his, if they are not his - please mail me.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
I'm not convinced that the original post was actually him.

Don't know why, just a feeling.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John

I have the same feeling - what made him goto the www.jerryflint.net site. Trouble is he or one of his clones has gained attention yet again. :(

However, if he does get onto the board, then the policy from the moderators is this - DELETE his posts.

As soon as I have the opportunity I will then block his IP/e-mail.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Healthy debate is good. However, trading insults with fellow members isn't acceptable in my book.

In my opinion I think he should be banned.

Sorry mate!

Jim

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I honestly believe he has a mental problem,most of us dislike ***'s but we dont go on their forums every day religously.
He has insulted dieter many times and now has turned his attention to jerry.
whenever baning is mentioned,people cry "freedom of speech" but there is no such thing.theres someone on the bbs who posts racist material, some might say its satire but i feel this forum will be a better place without the likes of yorum and mega.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
I agree that healthy discussion can only be good, and we on this forum should be happy to promote such discussion. If, in order to facilitate this, those like 'he who shall not be named' have to be excluded then so be it.
Referring to the title of this thread, hoping that it is, and was.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
>I agree that healthy discussion can only be good<
so do i john.this week we have had a scooby owner contribute to the forum,he didnt agree with a post and very articulatly put over his point of view and i think we all learnt something.
The trouble with mega is he is not curtious and never admits he is wrong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Freedom of speech is important, but I really cannot see that MEGA has added any value with his inputs. He is close to destroying the MG BB at british-cars.org.uk with his continuous posts. Sorry to say that I would rather not see any more from him.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Fully agree about the other BBS.

Just had a looka nd theres little happening that is concerned with the modern cars aapart from you know who upsetting people.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Could not agree more about the problems on other site, but wonder if the problem is aggravated by people rising to the bait. Surely even the most inane of people will eventually tire of their post being ignored and find somewhere else to ply their foul tirades. Time that we concentrated on the posts that offer what we are all doing this for and scroll past the ones that do nothing for anyone but the ego of the fool posting them. I am fully open the possiblity that I may write something eventually that is against the popular opinion but healthy debate is what makes us come back for more, anti MGR posts do not qualify as anything more than the ramblings of an individual with nothing to offer any of us, ignore him.

Pete

·
Registered
20 Posts
At the moment, this BBS is blissfully free of idiots. You're very lucky! :)

On the ScoobyNet BBS (for Subaru owners and enthusiasts), we have 12000 registered members, of which probably 2-3000 are individuals, the rest being duplicate IDs or out of date.

Unfortunately, we have had a spate of idiots posting provocative postings recently - take a look here for example:

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=75937

which resulted in

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=76688

and then a big discussion about making it subscription only, etc etc. Basically we have a number of wind-up merchants, generally (but not always) Cossie owners or 'ladz' :rolleyes: who spend their whole time baiting people.

I would recommend you ensure that when they come (and they will...) that you ban them fairly sharpish! Unfortunately it's something that comes with the success of a BBS.

In the meantime, keep up the good work on this one as it's excellent, if fairly quiet - which just means I can keep up with the posts :).

·
Registered
388 Posts
Bitten Hero said:
I would recommend you ensure that when they come (and they will...) that you ban them fairly sharpish
I would also like to make the pre-emptive suggestion that, if/when trouble makers arrive, we either ignore them or just report the posts to the moderators. It never ceases to amaze me that, on the BBS, every time that Mega posts he gets half-a-dozen people suggesting various sexual exploits that he may like to try. I can't help thinking that, if everyone ignored his inflamatory posts, he would either start posting constructive posts - like his latest ZT190 review - or stop posting and crawl off to the local Ford dealer to buy his beloved ST170. :)

Actually, if many of the ScoobyNet trouble-makers are Cossie drivers, maybe it's a trait of fast Ford drivers that they like to annoy the drivers of alternative cars. :confused: Maybe they don't get enough pleasure out of driving their own cars, so have to resort to schadenfreude. ;)

S.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I visit this forum everyday and like chatting with each and every one of you - especially you, Jerry (and my beloved of course!)

I feel that if Mega were allowed to join the forum then it would destroy the friendly environment we have and alienate others. Good choice Jerry - I agree with you.

·
Which one shall I drive today?
6,507 Posts
I know we're talking specifically about one MEGA here, and personally i can't stand his useless twoddle, but I think we should be talking about MEGA types in general.
This guy has allready been identified as a potential trouble maker, but there are many more out there who are just as capable of whipping up a storm (or flame war).

The moderation team are going to have to be increasingly vigilant as the forum membership grows so that these people can be identified quickly, flagged for inappropriate posts, and posts edited/deleted as required.

MEGA claims (and seems to have succeeded) in getting around attempts to block him from other BBS, so if he really wants to get on here I think he'll find a way.

All new members should get a chance, but if they get out of line we all need to refrain from retaliation so that the moderators can do there job effectively. The last thing anyone wants to see is a regular being provoked by a MEGA type, and getting a warning for it.

PS. Ive just realised how obvious the A**E is on my avatar, I'll blurr it out a bit when I get a chance.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Quick question, the IP's your blocking are they not temporary IPs issued by the ISP at Login, so therefore will change slightly each time that user logs on and also anyone else on the same ISP could pickup a blocked IP.
Not one hundered percent on this but I'm sure I am pretty close.

Also the Mods are pretty on the ball and as long as the "Mega" types are controlled they shouldn't be a problem I mean keep editing and deleting his threads or deleteing any replies to give the impression of non-interest and he'll get bored pretty quick.

I have noticed he is not as busy on the MG cars enthusiasts club
board, Since his alledged Honda purchase.

One thing I will say tho' is some of the replies make you smile:D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts