MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats your thoughts on the subject?

Mine, is when the manager of Mclaren, Teddy Mayer let Gilles Villeneuve slip through his hands and let him go to Ferrari.

On his debut in F1 he was holding a certain 4th place but eventually finished 11th after slowing down thinking he had a faulty water temp guage! The event was the Brit Grand Prix, Silverstone, 1977. Hunt was the man who initially got him the seat in an old M23.

Certainly had an eye for talent did our James, either as a driver or a woman!

Jim

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just thinking to myself. Another big mistake was Peter Warr when Team Principle of Lotus not signing up Derek Warwick. By now Colin Chapman had sadly passed away. Ayrton Senna was the coming man and he was the prime mover in not allowing "Dell Boy" to join the team as he saw him as a major threat.

Instead Lotus signed the Earl of Dumfries aka Johnny Dumfries who scored a total of 3 points for the team!

However, the following year, 1988 he went on to win Le Mans for Jaguar alongside the "flying Dutchman" Jan Lammers and Andy Wallace (Dumfries that is).

Dell also won Le Mans in 1992 for Peugeot alongside our man Mark Blundell.

Jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Biggest mistake in GP Racing

May I say to start with I had the upmost respect for Ayrton Senna and Peter Warr but signing Senna was really the beginning of the end for Team Lotus .Senna dominated the team and turned it from a 2 driver team which could see drivers happily swap podium positions to a ONE MAN BAND.

The result of this was that when he happily jumped ship to Mclaren ,the team was left in disarray and without direction.So then Peter Warr jumps and signs a has been Nelson Piquet to lead the team, ANOTHER BIG MISTAKE?

Too me at this point Lotus was now doomed to obscurity and Peter Warr,s visions for the team had mainly caused this.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robert, I agree with what you say. Senna was a great. That first lap at Donnington Park in the European Grand Prix was a "Lap with God".

Piquet had modeled Brabham around himself. Similiar story unfolds with a make up No2 such as the Fabi brothers, Teo and Coraddo, Marc Surer, Zunino and Rebaque. Top line driver quits and bang goes Brabham.

I always thought the Brabham BT46B with Martini sponsorship was perhaps the best looking F1 car of all time. Strong second was the UOP Shadow DN5 and Ambrosia Villiger Shadow DN8.

Sorry to move slightly off the subject!

Jim:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
F1continued

Agree with you about the Brabham and the beautiful Shadow which I still have my toy version of .(Jackie Olivers UOP black car)However my favourite was the LOTUS 91 IN ITS JPS Livery especially with the full engine cover with double air intake.
A close second for me was the LOTUS 88B IN JPS top and ESSEX bottom colour scheme,a stunning car.

However Lotus did get it wrong as well ,how about the ugliest F1 Car ,LOTUS 93T Renault ,Chapmans last before he died and also the reason Peter Warr brought in Gerard Ducorouge (sorry if spelt wrongly) from Ligier.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
I can remember seeing the Lotus 88 being driven on a 'demo' lap of the track at the factory on 'Founders Day' (just after Colin Chapman died).
Driven by John Miles (former Lotus driver) it was an absolute beast. The sound, from only a few feet away, was absolutely awsome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lotus 88

It was about the time of the original 88 being pulled from GPgrids that I started watching races and especially Mansell and DeAngelis in the Essex Cars.
Was it Belgium 1980 OR 1981 Mansell scored his first points in a Lotus 81?
Then they replaced that with one of the 88s twin chassis and called it the 87 (always looked very thin for that era).

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Robert your memory is good. It was '80 when Mansell made his debut and Belgium '81 when he got his first points.

Now the Shadow was a good looking car. Funny how Teddy Yip ended up with the likes of Ensign, Shadow and later forming his own team "Theodore Racing Hong Kong". Rosberg went on and won the Silverstone International Trophy Race in a rather wet race in '78.

Jim

PS - Always liked the Camel Lotus/Lambo period of Warwick and Donelly's era but not very successful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts