MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd give you an insight into a bit of fun I've had over the weekend.

Had the opportunity to wind up the MG on an old air strip, so no blue lights to worry about. Although don't know who the land owner is ???

0 to 60 was 7 seconds dead :) , or as near as you can get with a stopwatch, but top end was lacking umph !
I revved thro' each gear to about 6750 but 5th only produced about 125 before I ran out of space.
I would say it pulls great to 115 but then starts to tail off, like waiting for paint to dry.
I conducted the test with a virtually empty tank and a tail wind, so you would have expected 130 easily. :confused:

My car has been run in carefully with the first 600m below 3000 then gradual 500 rpm steps for each 100m until max revs achieved. It now has just under 2K on the clock.

Any ideas on the lack of top end urge ????? (Its not the sort of question I want to put to the dealer !)

What sort of speeds have you guys seen on your 180's ?

P.S. I don't drive at break neck speeds everywhere, In fact I do around 600 miles a week business and have to ensure my licence stays valid, for my jobs sake.
I do not condone mindless speed with no consideration for others, but do not see the harm in a controlled blast on an open road when there is no obvious danger posed to anyone but myself. I.E. not racing thro' high streets impressing teenagers who have the combined I.Q's of the Tweenies.

It would however be nice to know that something that I've paid good money for can match the sales pitch.

(RANT OVER) ;)

G

·
0-60 in SEVEN -yeeha!

Mike

0-60 in 7 seconds - you should be beaming. How's your clutch? If you do many of these it won't hold out!

So clutch slippage could be causing your lack of top end. :D

No seriously, you may need a good long road to get the top speed. When Kev Neal and I did a track day we both noted our speeds and really accelerating hard on a straight runway we both got to 120/100 respectively (EVO/ZS180). Also, think we were both very happy with that. :D

Which airfield was it - if ex WW2 - the runway will be barely a mile long? You need an ex Jet Fighter/Bomber station to get 9,000 and a good peri track to get a good run. Something like Bruntingthorpe!

Honestly, I would be pleased. However, it could mean the speedo is underreading at the top end!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Speed?

I think it takes a long time for these engines to get to their best. I found the same thing on my car after a couple of thousand miles. I drive 300miles a day and have noticed a marked improvement in the cars performance. I have totalled up 16,000 miles and the car is much faster than it was.

I have taken the car up to 142mph, I don't know how accurate the clock is, but I can tell you it was fast. The 0-60 times I'm getting are close to 6.8 sec. I think you can expect to get a little more from you car in time.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I can vouch for that - my 25 has done 8600m and I'm sure it's getting faster as it loosens up. I do 80 miles a day solely commuting to and from work (no business milage) of which some is motorway and the rest is normally on A roads and in traffic.

Time, my friend, time.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The rev limiter will kick in at some point, I can't remember what it is though, I find the real power band is lower in the rev range, which is good for everyday overtaking and the like. I haven't dared take my car beyond 130, but on my way there the car was tugging at the leash, so I don't doubt that the 140 figure quoted is accurate. One thing I have found different is that on motoryways, overtaking is made much easier at high speed, where most common cars have run out of puff, or at least accelerate slower.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Not so bad

I was on the way back from Paris and a *** M3 wanted to see what I had under the hood so we played for a while on acceleration, but not a lot in it.

Then we reached a toll, we both managed to stay side by side but the M3 got the edge off the line "this was due to me reaching over the passenger seat to pay and then strapping myself back in.

He only got a car length or so on me but all the way up to 135 ish I was on his tail, he did start to pull away after that but I had a 145 on the clock.

Now I’ve fitted the viper kit and have the air intake sorted I think I would have been on his tail for a bit longer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well if you were grinning , I expect he had a damp patch on his seat:p After all just think what he paid for his ***M:eek: Must have been too close for comfort!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeeehah indeed

I am beeming still Mr MG Nutter sir, and can't wait for this baby to loosen up.

Clutch is fine, I won't be extreme testing it again for quite some time.

By the way kicked an old shape ***M3 last week at the lights, and he was not impressed !! from the gesture at the next set I would say he was stuck in second or did he mean twice as slow, who knows ?? but them fingers were pointing at me.
So I let him go so he could save face with his mates at the kindergarten.

Cheers for now

Mike;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can confirm that the K-V6 engine does loosen up and go better with miles on it. Wait till you get to around 10K and then let us know what you think :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
TOP END

Can't say I've pushed all the way but quite happily reached 130mph following a MR2 at very early hours on local motorway, still had some revs left to play with so could believe the guys that have reached 140mph. Was very pleased with stability at this speed. Also the breaking ability as well when realising it's time to pull off at my slip road :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
140 easy

HI,

ok, now my oil problems seem to have gone completely I am pleased to say that I can quite comfortably reach 130/135 by about 4500/5000 rpm. I have seen the rude side of 140 a few times as well. Noi doubting this cars capabilities.

As for the tales of *** M3 bashing, I am not convinced they were really trying. I mean the cars are not much heavier 1515kg against 1235. but they weigh in with almost DOUBLE the horse power 321bhp against 175 bhp. which equals 215bhp per ton against 144bhp per ton. finally and this is the kicker the published 0-60 for an old shape M3 is 5.4 seconds, and we are pleased with 7.0 and overjoyed with 6.9 so come on guys don't get carried away.

I am truely overjoyed with the performance out of my little baby but I am not veiwing my position in the performance car heirachy with rose tinted specs. Other hot hatches - BRING IT ON I WILL TAKE YOU ALL ON. 30-40k semi-supercars - well I will have a go but I know my place.

Larry

·
Registered
514 Posts
A lot of 0-60 times are achieved by crashing through the box, after all a published figure can sell more cars than the cost of a gearbox rebuild. Having said that I'd love to see a timed 0-60 on a run in ZS, because it certainly *feels* fast to 60. I think most people are chuffed when they come up against B*W's because it wipes the smug smile off B*W driver's faces. Driver skill can make up for a lot in BHP though :)

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Larry,

E30 M3 had between 180 and 210 bhp depending on market and who you talk to.

0-60 was a more approachable 6.x seconds.. (again, depending on who you talk to).

The engine in that car was completely hand built (and basically a cut down version of their F1 engine). If the car hasn't been looked after well, they lost power, which would also slow down 0-60 times. So it's perfectly possible to beat an older M3.

Having riden in a fine example (of an old one), they aren't actually that quick. RWD means fun around the roundabouts though... :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
apologies

When the "old shape" M3 was referred to I figured the most recent "old shape" (bearing in mind that *** have just relaunched the M3) and that does have 321 bhp and sub 6.0 seconds 0-60.

PLease don't get me wrong people I do not beleive my ZS takes 7.0 to get to 60 it certainly seems quicker, plus I will race anything that crosses my path (soundly spanked by a Evo VI yesterday and a Scooby P1 last week) I was merely airing an opinion.

as for driver skill making up for BHP could not agree more. played with a new civic type R on the way to work this morning - yeah it kept up on the straights but roundabouts proved too taxing for him!!

Larry

·
Which one shall I drive today?
6,507 Posts
Racing on the public highway... TUT, TUT, TUT.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Speed limit ???

Yeah right Larry !! of course you only race upto the speed limit for the road, that s how you've seen the Rude side of 140 ?? :rolleyes:

We all know that it can be tempting out there so don't deny it ...;)

Have fun, but watch that licence.

Regards

Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.