MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the stupidest thing I've ever done...but it's up there!

Was feeling pleased with myself having passed my MOT then today I thought I'd check my tax disc to see how long it had left on it. Couldn't believe my eyes! It had expired end of Nov last year! :eek: I'd completely forgotten that I'd only taxed her for six months! And I never got the SORN reminder cause I'd changed my address and hadn't informed "the Duvlah"! So I've been driving around without road tax for almost 2 months. I must've breezed past at least 2 roadside Police checks in that time but never got stopped!

Anyway, the long and short of it was that I had to rush down to the DVLA offices in Wimbledon and produce all my docs. It's the only way you can do it when you don't have a current address on your logbook.

The weird part of it was, since they can't back-date a disc to November the Clerk asked me if I wanted to pay the arrears for November. She said it was "completely voluntary"! And that's all she said. Well, it was tempting to say no I would NOT like to pay you 22 quid extra but being the honest Joe that I am, I "volunteered"!

Now, the thing that's worrying me is, when you get the SORN, you have a limited time to either renew or declare the car off-road before they get heavy on you. So, I asked the clerk if she could find out if I'd had a fine or summons sent to my old address but apparantly they can't access that information.

I'm hoping that since my drivers license has my correct address on it they would have traced and contacted me by now. I guess I've got a nervous few weeks wait ahead of me now! At least until my new logbook arrives and they know where to find me!

This isn't helping my insomnia one bit!

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Be carefull. My mate owns his own gaff and lives 100yds away with his partner and hardly goes to his. I bought a pug oil burner off him a while back. He couldn't find reg doc so we applied for a new one. Two years down the line baliffs trace him to his partners via their avenues of enquiry and send a nice threatening letter. Dvla had done him for failling to notify change of keeper details. Summonsed him found guilt in his abscence and fined him. All letters etc were lying on the door mat at his gaff. He eventually got local mags court to over turn everything but it was scary for a while.

I would send dvla a covering letter outlining it all and keep a copy.

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
You've paid the back tax so I'd not say a word. I reckon you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably the best thing to do is to go back to my old address and ask if they've held any mail for me.....something I'm not particularly looking forward to doing. But knowing me, I'll probably just leave it and keep my fingers crossed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts