MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am suffering from a suspension rumbling noise which is coming from the offside front and is in real time with the upwards and downwards movement of the suspension leg.

Best I can describe it is an alloy sort of hollow rumble which appears to be worse from cold.

But,having said that there is a nearby road where it does it every time I drive it. It banks down slightly from left to right putting greater stress on offside wheel I guess.

Now this has been happening from the day I picked her up brand spanking new. She went back in under warranty and they found a bit of wear in the top mount on the n/s/f/ which wasn't even the problematic side to start with?

They also fitted a new coil spring to one side as it was marginally shorter than it was supposed to be??

Ended up with factory techie boys coming down and roadtesting her with chassis ears fitted to the car but they said all was ok.

Now I would have gone back again under warranty but the marque went and collapsed as we all know and I lost my last years warranty.

Any ideas? I do recall seeing an item on here years ago which related to I think it was and engine mount or other component other than the suspension assembly but I can't find it or remember exactly what it was. I believe it entailed slackening something off, re jigging it about and re tightening some bolts??

It would be great to get rid of it once and for all tbh

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Worth changing the hydraulic damper?????? Suppose that would be both sides, unless you got a s/h one off a breaker to see if it makes any difference.

I've read somewhere that they make a noise until the oil has been worked for a bit.

·
Zedhead
177 Posts
suspension doesnt usually rumble... it knocks / creaks and bangs yes... are you sure its not wheel bearing/ lower arm/ brake or wheel related ?

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
None of those. Defo a rumble and in tune with strut movement. But like I say, factory boffins failled to find anything with chassis ears but its deffo there with human ears?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
mine does it, its the dampers that are doing it on mine, think there was some bulletin reffering to it but cant remember

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No not a bent wheel. Tyre wear even, steering wheel spot on alignment when driving, no vibrations.

I saw something on here ages ago indicating that there was an egine to chassis or chassis to body slight coming together of components that could cause it but can't for the life of me find it or even remember what the actual remedy was.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Was reading a technical report from MG/Rover re chassis creak.

The cure was to get the car up in the air, see where it was rubbing and using a metal bar make adjustment to the gap. (bend it out the way, really technical). Then it carried on to say paint any damaged areas.

:wave:

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sods law. Hasn't done it today. First time in ages. Perhaps the extreme cold brings it on more?

·
Mk1 ZS180 Saloon XPG
341 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that the front subframe bolts can come loose and need some attention with the socket set.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is deffo an extremely cold weather thing. The last few weeks have proved this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts