MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. sorry it has been a while for me to update about my car. for those of you who do not know my car here is a small recap.
july 2009 supercharger kit fitted
july 2009 kit has a list of issues and car off road for 2 months
august 2009 most issues fixed and car on the road producing 238bhp
a fault free 14 months of driving and 11000 miles. here is a list of the parts already modified

-koni adjustables all round at standard height
-quick shift kit
-janspeed manifolds and decat
-piper full stainless exhaust
-gauges in pillar pod including wide band air/fuel
-water/methanol injection, mappable

during this year i decided 240 bhp was not enough and wanted to take it further. my engine was running perfect with no problems which i was very impressed with. i bought loads of upgrade parts during the year over the course of a few months and did a big rebuild in late october. thes were the items

-new hi spec motorsport front rotors and green stuff pads (might i say greenstuff pads are awesome)
-gearbox rebuilt with quaiffe lsd, uprated bearings,new seals,uprated oil
-lightened and balance flywheel (beautifully machined and half the weight)
-cg motorsport organic clutch
-alloy fuel pressure regulator, adjustable
-newer engine (27000 miles) rebuilt with omega low compression forged pistons. reduces 12:1 down to 8:1, 2 brand new cylinderheads, all new cylinder liners and oil pump.
-new cambelts rollers waterpump oil pump etc.
-new home made pipercross induction kit
-4 new pirelli pzero nero tyres (very good on this car)
-modified air con pipe
-piper high lift exhaust cams only with vernier pulleys andavnced 8 degrees
-6 brand new original injectors

i rebuilt the car and installed the engine over the course of 2 weeks at a friends garage. they let me use a ramp which really helped. i made a nice job of it and tidy'd up any loose ends from the original charger fitment. the car runs great with no issues atall. the pistons are from omega and were designed by rover themselves from when they were prototyping the supercharger kit. there were three diffent forged pistons made for this application designed by rover each with a different dish type but same compression ratio. i also had a set of piper cams from ages ago that are for naturally aspirated. i decided to fit the exhaust cams and not the inlet cams. i thought getting the air out more efficiently was more imporatant seeing as the inlet is forced induction. i also advanced the exhaust cams 8 degrees to reduce valve overlap and take maximum advantage of the boost pressure. i heard that some one tried fitting the full cam kit and it reduced performance so i did not try.
i was worried that the lightened flywheel twinned with the low comp pistons might make it hard to pull away but the car pulls away as smooth as before. i had to add a small amount of fuel due to the lower compression pistons and therfore more air. the car was surprisingly faster that before even though with lower compression pistons. it went like the clappers. i think the cams made a real difference.the quaiffe is a very good unit. the car barely wheel spins compared to before. it does torque steer tho.
in my quest for more power i decided to take a hack saw to the supercharger pulley. the whole idea of lower comp pistons was to increase th boost and gain more power and the only way is to reduce the charger pulley diameter. unfortunatly the pulley is machined in one piece and forms a shaft ,oilseal and bearing support so would have been weeks of work on my dads lathe so we machined the old pulley off the shaft and tig welded the old alternator pulley to the shaft. this pulley is very small and spins the charger too fast. the maximum rpm of the charger is 15-16000 rpm . the original speed is 14850 on the revv limiter. with the small pulley the rpm would have been 18000 on the limiter so i got the ecu remapped so the revv limiter comes in at 6250 instead of 6800. not much of a loss in revvs. the boost pressure is now 10psi. this then created a problem with fuel starvation. i was running the 7th injector at max and still running very weak due to the extra air. this is why i introduced the adjustable fuel pressure regulator. i incresed it to 47psi at idle and this has cured the problem. what an improvement. because the charger is spinning faster all the time the boost comes in straight away from very low revvs. the torque is incredible and power is amazing. i do not miss the 6800 revvs atall due to the torque it now produces. i will get it rolling road very soon and let you know what its running. it has done about 2000 miles since the new engine and smaller pulley trouble free. there are some videos i just uploaded on you tube of it. have a look. let me know what you think.

this is last year before the new engine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebOELTg3oFI

these are now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YFDy2zMffc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV0ILsYFyBg

some pictures. some old, some new. will get some new ones soon

thanks for looking

·
Registered
335 Posts
great project and also one very tidy ZS :) well done to you....:unworthy:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
That is immense. Why the second engine? Just convenience of installing the piston etc and keeping the car running?

Congrats on the build, I am slightly jealous.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Nice car!! Great job you've done there, I see youre in hampshire, if you want to do a back to back test against a stripped cammed up zed let me know, be great to see the difference in the two! You going to take it on any track days?

·
bigfella-network.co.uk
5,743 Posts
Very nice, who did your brakes? Did hispec fit them?

To be fair, a mildy modded KV6 can make around 210-215bhp. Shouldn't you be pushing 260bhp?

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
I would concentrate on reliablility before bigger numbers, given past supercharged KV6 history. All the same impressive stuff. I've been in a supercharged ZS and it was very quick indeed.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Why didn’t you go for a standalone ECU?
Spent money on the build but not the reliability

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
+ 1, correct all the weak points first, ecu, 7th injector etc.These things are critical if you ever really want to use the car hard for any length of time, dave fitted forgies to his sc engine and it still went pop.
fair do's though its an exciting project.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice car!! Great job you've done there, I see youre in hampshire, if you want to do a back to back test against a stripped cammed up zed let me know, be great to see the difference in the two! You going to take it on any track days?
hi mate. yeah i live in bordon near farnham. yeah where do you live . we could compare the two cars.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very nice, who did your brakes? Did hispec fit them?

To be fair, a mildy modded KV6 can make around 210-215bhp. Shouldn't you be pushing 260bhp?
hi mate. i got the brakes from hi spec but fitted them myself. they are not a perfect direct fitment like they are supposed to be. i had to fit some shims to make the calipers sit straight. great brakes though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would concentrate on reliablility before bigger numbers, given past supercharged KV6 history. All the same impressive stuff. I've been in a supercharged ZS and it was very quick indeed.
it has been very reliable. it has done about 12500 miles so far. hopefully many more miles to come

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why didn’t you go for a standalone ECU?
Spent money on the build but not the reliability
i do want to go standalone but it was a lot of money. not only that it would never drive the same again. car manufacturers spend years perfecting maps to get them perfect and so i do not believe that either me or a tuner could get it as good as what it is now without spending months doing it. it would be great for maximum power, i would probably see a big horse power gain but the general driveability would not be as good. i will think about it though. maybe in the near future

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi every one . car went on the rolling road this morning. running very nicely with good fuelling . it produced 274 bhp. not as much as i would have liked but im am very greedy. the power graph did not peak off so there is plenty left in the engine but the charger is running at max. it would have gone up to 300 bhp but i had to cap the revvs at 6200 due to the charger being at max rpm. i dont think i will make anymore changes as it is very powerful and is running reliably. the only thing that would make an improvement is fitting a charge cooler. i may look into doing this in the near future. here is a link to the video. pictures will follow soon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fck8bMUiBrE

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
+ 1, correct all the weak points first, ecu, 7th injector etc.These things are critical if you ever really want to use the car hard for any length of time, dave fitted forgies to his sc engine and it still went pop.
fair do's though its an exciting project.
is dave the gtm member. i saw his thread and he fitted standard compression forged pistons. it worried me that george managed to remove strip and rebuild the engine in 2 days. took me 2 weeks. does anyone know why the engine failed. was it the ecu driver that failed. the piggy back and ecu driver fitted to my car is different from the early system that used to be supplied. mine is the perfect power smt7 unit which seems very good and also give control of ignition timing

·
Registered
343 Posts
is dave the gtm member. i saw his thread and he fitted standard compression forged pistons. it worried me that george managed to remove strip and rebuild the engine in 2 days. took me 2 weeks. does anyone know why the engine failed. was it the ecu driver that failed. the piggy back and ecu driver fitted to my car is different from the early system that used to be supplied. mine is the perfect power smt7 unit which seems very good and also give control of ignition timing
Yep, that's me...

I went with standard CR pistons forged pistons because the engine power was enough and I didn't want to up the boost pressure. Everything I'd heard suggested the top land of the pistons were the weak point.

It went to George because he knew the car well and knows KV6s like the back of his hand. I fairness to him, I don't actually think the failures were anything to do with the way he built the engine.

To set the history books absolutely straight the engine failed twice after it had the forged pistons fitted, and both times the failure was a result of a cracked liner, not a broken piston. (I have the stripped engine in my garage so I'll take some photos if you're interested).

Bear in mind that as a trackday car the engine lived on the rev limiter and I didn't drive it gently, I put the failures down to poor fuel distribution between the cylinders. Its just a guess but my theory is that the positioning of the 7th injector and the effect of the supercharger screws "pushing" the air to the gearbox end of the outlet plenum of the charger means that the cylinders the furthest away from the 7th injector run lean. That's why I think that a stand alone ECU that evenly distributes the additional fuel to all 6 injectors is probably a safer bet than the 7th injector set-up.

There is no reason why a well mapped non-Rover ECU cant be as well set up as the original from a drivability point of view. You still get air con compressor triggers, IACV support, etc, etc from a good stand-alone.

Your idea of running at a lower rev limit seems like a very sensible idea. I had to rev mine to get all the power (242bhp) as it was all at the top which was strange for a charged engine, but keeping it to 6200 will probably help a lot with reliability.

You have a great project and have done some really interesting stuff that nobody else has tried, so all credit to you and good luck with the next round of mods.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts