MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fitted the new 330mm AP Racing brake it this weekend - supplied by Martin at Reyland. These will replace the 309mm Wilwood setup which was previously on the car and will now be going on the back when I make up some new brackets for the caplipers.

The Reyland kit comprises AP Racing 330mm curved vein disks on alloy bells, 4 pot calipers, pads, brackets and hoses.

Caliper

Disk compared with Wilwood

Fitted

I've also fitted adjustable upper arms (set at -2.5deg negative camber) and new stiffer front and rear springs.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
very nice!!
Will be interesting to see what you make of the stiffer springs, thats what I had planned with my old car.
Those calipers are huge compared to the wilwoods

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
awesome, thems proper stoppers right there...its gonna be mighty!!!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Looking good, you may find your need more on the back, when we fitted 6 pots to the Britcar we suffered major over braking and had to fit 4 pots to rear to balance out.

Stiffer springs is a good thing, we also went for helper springs which kept the front of the car more planted eibach seemed the way forward for us, they cost a little more but worth the money.

Have you changed roll bars yet as again we found that helped

·
bigfella-network.co.uk
5,743 Posts
If you don't use the old set up, I'd be interested in buying.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking good, you may find your need more on the back, when we fitted 6 pots to the Britcar we suffered major over braking and had to fit 4 pots to rear to balance out.
If you don't use the old set up, I'd be interested in buying.
I'm going to put the old Wilwoods on the back to balance it. I got the alloy plate today to make the brackets and the replacement disks have arrived so I can bin the old cracked ones.

Stiffer springs is a good thing, we also went for helper springs which kept the front of the car more planted eibach seemed the way forward for us, they cost a little more but worth the money.

Have you changed roll bars yet as again we found that helped
The old springs were pretty soft for track work so I've gone to 425 on the front and 250 on the rear. Where did you get your uprated ARBs made up?

·
bigfella-network.co.uk
5,743 Posts
They sure do look nice, trouble is that there isn't much in terms of brakes for the ZS. I really want some!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Brakes look to be well up to the job, and the car was sounding brilliant.

But the end of that clip makes me fear the worst for the engine, here's hoping it looked worse than it was

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just found this mate and im assuming its you......what the hell happened, looks like blown engine ?
How are the new ap brakes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQUVLCQSnD8&feature=player_embedded
Yep, unfortunately the engine looks like its cracked a liner. Was going well up to that point, so I'm at t bit of a cross-roads now whether just to put a NASP V6 in it or sell it.

The handling is awesome now - I''ll put some video up of some of the faster laps because its really sorted. Adjustable top arms and stiffer springs have made all the difference - and this was running with hard compound K70As rather than soft compound 888s.

I didn't actually get on track with the APs either, when I tried the car after fitting them there wasn't enough clearance between the disk and bottom ball joint, so they have to go back to Reyland to be adjusted for more offset, so I just got some new disks and ran with the Wilwoods.

So, if anyone wants to make me an offer send a PM......

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I had clearance issues with the bottom ball joint using the Brembodge set up, it was resolved by going back to standard ride height.

btw, I vote a rebuild with tougher liners lol

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I agree with Pete, seems a shame to throw in the towel after the money you have spent on the supercharged engine. Is a full engine rebuild out of the question? cool2

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A full engine rebuild with tougher liners wont be cheap, but I think its the fuelling causing that cylinder to run lean. It was always that one that broke the pistons and now I've gone forged the liners are the next weak spot. If I keep the car (which I dont think I will at the moment) I would put the Emerald on with bigger injectors so the fuelling can be managed much more thoroughly than with the 7th injector the way it is now.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
A full engine rebuild with tougher liners wont be cheap, but I think its the fuelling causing that cylinder to run lean. It was always that one that broke the pistons and now I've gone forged the liners are the next weak spot. If I keep the car (which I dont think I will at the moment) I would put the Emerald on with bigger injectors so the fuelling can be managed much more thoroughly than with the 7th injector the way it is now.
Why cant you just drop a new liner in, surley doesnt need a full rebuild already?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why cant you just drop a new liner in, surley doesnt need a full rebuild already?
Changing a liner is a full engine is a full rebuild....the crank has to come out so its a full gasket set, plus liner, etc. I suppose it depends what you call a full rebuild really - maybe a complete strip down is a better description. I don't have the time or inclination at the moment and it getting someone to do it wouldn't be cheap.

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Sorry to hear of this and good luck with whatever way you choose to go in gthe future.:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts