Discussion Starter #1

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Cracking vid:)

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
good driving mate and looks like you were ringing all the available performance out of the car but it just doesnt have the straight line grunt does it, same as you say its not making the power and it takes an age for the charger to get going, even in 2nd gear out of the corners, thats where turbo torque shows its worth.
I was always sceptical of the claimed power the chargers made and this reinforces it.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
good driving mate and looks like you were ringing all the available performance out of the car but it just doesnt have the straight line grunt does it, same as you say its not making the power and it takes an age for the charger to get going, even in 2nd gear out of the corners, thats where turbo torque shows its worth.
I was always sceptical of the claimed power the chargers made and this reinforces it.
pmsl....

Dont make the power !

Im sure mr gtm will be along to give his opinion. He wasnt disappointed when he rang me !

George

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
Certainly seems to be making the power and doing what the supercharged cars do so well.

As there seems to be nothing else out there to compare it to I fail to see how you can judge what power it is or isn't making.............:dunno:

·
Registered
1 Posts
That seems quite a tame lap in fairness - i'd rate that about 75% effort compared to the laps I was onboard for. :p

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Simon's right, the video laps were not the quickest by a long way, but Dave's right too in that the engine really comes on strong at 4000rpm and can feel a little slow to pick up at at lower revs (although I don't think I drop to second anywhere in the vid - 3rd's the lowest, even in the hairpins). When its in the zone though it pulls to the redline like a train through the fist 4 gears. I'll post up some video with some other cars in so you can compare - its certainly pretty rapid when its wrung out.

It doesn't give the same torque as a turbo engine, but remember its only blowing at about 5psi so it can't be expected. And its 100bhp short of your VAG engine Dave.

Simon - I'll get the video together of your car over the next couple of days.

·
12,325 Posts
Certainly seems to be making the power and doing what the supercharged cars do so well.

As there seems to be nothing else out there to compare it to I fail to see how you can judge what power it is or isn't making.............:dunno:
dave aka gtm, said it was only making 240 bhp last time it was on the rollers, which considering it was supposed to be making 266 bhp before the addition of forged pistons and the hayward and scott manifolds doesnt really add up does it....a standard charged kv6 makes 220 bhp so it was never realistic to suggest that just by adding induction and a de cat you could boost that to 266 bhp, in lax power land were neons and stickers give you 50 bhp each then maybe, but not here in the real world, and the sants pod terminal speeds proved it long ago.
Also gtm said it was only pulling 122mph by gps down the long straight, mine was pulling 128 by the speedo when it was nasp 206 bhp kv6.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its always hard to compare one car with another unless they are back to back, but I suspect your better suspension set up meant you got out of the corner at the start of the straight a fair bit quicker and remember I was short shifting on the straight. I'm pretty confident that the 242bhp number is about right because I've used these rollers before and they are not the kind of place to bull****. It happily kept up with a VX220 turbo that was chipped to 244bhp, so its not entirely limp :)

Anyway, the new brakes are on order, I've still got the adjustable upper arms to fit and I've got a gearbox with different ratio's to go in when I uprate the clutch, so next time out I'll be looking to chop quite a bit from that time.

·
12,325 Posts
yeah sorry i didnt mean to be critical.
it doesnt take much to effect things quite dramatically, so yes a slipping clutch or any number of other things will take their toll.
Any idea what the car weighs now, youve had a roll cage fitted havent you?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't really know what it weighs now. Its got a half cage (rear only) and various other small things like the Mini heater that have put a little weight back in, so my guestimate is about 1100kg.

I've got it booked into Anglesey on 6th Aug, and Oulton on 1st Sept, so I'll see if I can get it on the scales at either of those places.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Dave fancy Oultan Park next week?

Think its the 21/7/10

Going to be there as my mates doing a sponsor day so i got a free pass !

G

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My next one isn't until 7th Aug at Anglesey, then 1st Sept at Oulton.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Might pop along to this any chance of a pass lap.

Sie
Deffo....pax laps no probs....if you register as a driver you can drive.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts