MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I thought I'd pick your collective brains for a bit :)

A friend and I are looking to buy a cheap car to have as a bit of a project and use for the occasional track day. It has to be something fairly simple that we could pick up for around £500-800ish.

My previous car before my ZS was a 1992 Supra I had on a classic policy. Upon trying to cancel this I was informed that the policy was non-cancellable, so I have to keep paying it until December. I can, however, transfer it to another "classic" at no extra cost.

So, the car in question has to be deemed a classic of some sort. Bearing in mind my 1992 Supra was deemed as such, we should have a reasonable amount of flexibility. I think it needs to be over 10 years old though.

Ideas so far:

Toyota MR2 Mk1 (We've both had these in the past and know them inside out - this is current favourite)
Peugeot 205 GTI
Nova GTE

Any more ideas welcome :) It ideally needs to be lightweight, simple and easily stripped :D

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
R33 skyline cheap as chips to buy these days.

A supra is a classic? By that so should loads of cars.
Mk2 Fiesta properly done is good for track use, so are minis and metros with suitable engines.

·
MG ZS 180 MKI
3,364 Posts
I'd say the MR2 mate. Nova only if you plan on putting a redtop in it though...... ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been down this route but stuck with my sprint Mini at the time.

However, consider a Porsche 924. Can get a reasonable one for much less than a grand and if you are not planning on using it on the road, then insurance may not be an issue.

Go online and look up (I can't find the site at the mo, but will post if I find it) the list that gives you the VW/AUDI part numbers which are much much cheaper and you are off. Easy to work on, 50:50 weight distribution and the only truly Porsche specific part is the gearbox and these rarely give trouble if looked after in my experience.

Failing that something with a Japanese engine which will minimise your repair costs over your average brit engine at least!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts