MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Back to the kitchen with you!
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Being the creative person I am (sometimes) I have put together a kit for sorting out the high clutch that seems to afflict most of the 400 / 45 / ZS models.

It's nothing too complex; a bracket I've knocked up, along with a fitting kit including bolt, Nyloc nut to stand the vibration from the vehicle, and various washers for spacing.

Ideal if you just want the kit, and don't want to mess about making a bracket :)

Works with all 400 / 45 / ZS models. Instructions supplied with the kit.

I'm not a business, just like knocking up little fixes for annoying issues!
:inv:

Now in production, kits ready to send. The kit including P+P is £5.75.

Payment via PayPal: [email protected]

More info: Clicky

Feel free to ask any questions :)

·
won hay-tee
607 Posts
This is fixed as part of the sheddist clutch kit, which 99% of owners seam to fit anyway :)

Surprised that some people are still on the stock clutch system :eek:

I agree though, the high clutch pedal as standard is crap, not sure why they are like that, you have to learn morris dancing for your left leg to drive the car fast.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quite a few don't have the system, and I primarily made it for the ZS diesel as that's what I have :lol:

It fits all ZS cars, and with the Sheddish kit being popular I don't expect many 180 owners to be ordering :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ill take one of you mate the high clutch does my head in and i find myself riding the clutch because of it.

pm me payment details, cheers

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Ill take one of you mate the high clutch does my head in and i find myself riding the clutch because of it.

pm me payment details, cheers
Same here, I'll give it a go too.
PM me payment details please mate

·
Registered
951 Posts
Matt - Just for clarity, your kit addresses only the pedal position and nothing else, is that right? (not a criticism - for a couple of quid posted and a bit of spaneer work, good results will follow, so bloody good value for money) . . . .

. . . whereas the Sheddist kit sorts pretty much everything that's wrong with the stock ZS clutch system and could be considered as a higher quality OE replacement part rather than a modification (albeit at a much higher cost)

This is fixed as part of the sheddist clutch kit, which 99% of owners seam to fit anyway :)

Surprised that some people are still on the stock clutch system :eek:
Still on original clutch hydraulics at 97k miles . . . . possibly thanks to some Sheddist advice on lubricating the clutch arm . . . and long may it continue to perform.

. . . . but now that I've said that, it'll probably pack in tomorrow . . . . . .

If anyone wants to scare themselves - get under the car and watch the slave bracket mounted on the gearbox flex as someone else pushes the pedal :agh:

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems there has been a bit of a misunderstanding.

This kit is in no way meant to be a Sheddist replacement or even be a similar product - literally all this addresses is the high clutch pedal level.

The Sheddist kit is definitely the way to go if you have a 180... this serves to make the other 400 / 45 / ZS's much easier to drive.

If you have a Sheddist kit, this modification will be completely redundant on the ZS180.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't worry about it. Wish I had a 180 so I could have the fun of fitting a Sheddist kit... I'm in a dirty diesel! :yawn:

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Hi all,

Being the creative person I am (sometimes) I have put together a kit for sorting out the high clutch that seems to afflict most of the 400 / 45 / ZS models.

It's nothing too complex; a bracket I've knocked up, along with a fitting kit including bolt, Nyloc nut to stand the vibration from the vehicle, and various washers for spacing.

Ideal if you just want the kit, and don't want to mess about making a bracket :)

Works with all 400 / 45 / ZS models. Instructions supplied with the kit.

I'm not a business, just like knocking up little fixes for annoying issues!
:inv:

When these are perfected and go into production, the kit including P+P will be about £4.

More info: Clicky

Feel free to ask any questions :)
Thanks for posting this Matty and i am sure it will help members out:)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Don't worry about it. Wish I had a 180 so I could have the fun of fitting a Sheddist kit... I'm in a dirty diesel! :yawn:
I'm still not decided whether my old 400 diesel was a better car than the ZS is, took it to 126k miles without it ever failing to get me where I wanted to go.

I've got a lot of love for the L-series :)

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
I'm still not decided whether my old 400 diesel was a better car than the ZS is, took it to 126k miles without it ever failing to get me where I wanted to go.

I've got a lot of love for the L-series :)

Me too, love my van more than my Car at the mo lol, its funny that my van has ****e more torque than the zs so i can beat the missus up the dual carrigeway lol

·
Registered
407 Posts
wonder how mine would fair against a 180 then... well atm not great as it is in bits.. but when back together........ :D

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
this was a 70mph in 5th pull off, and my van whooped my 180 lol

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
can i just offer my experience of this very issue. Having owned a P reg 416i and an 04 MK2 ZS 110, i used to hate the position of the clutch pedal. When i had my 416 i read a review on the MK2 that stated a better clutch pedal position was one of the improvements on the MK2. When i bought the MK2 i was dissapointed it was exactly the same as my old 416i. I didnt attempt to lower the clutch pedal position as had a bad experience of prematurely wearing out the clutch on my 416i by instaling such a bracket. The pedal is the height it is for a reason and lowering it does not give the hydraulics sufficient travel to release the clutch fork and fully disengage the thrust bearing.

I now have a MK2 180 and the clutch pedal height at factory setting is infinetly better than the smaller K-Series models. I guess that the review i read was referring to the 180's?

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The bracket I'm making only removes the free play, and does not put any pressure on the master cylinder, and doesn't take up any of it's travel. I've got a friend to press the pedal and take up the slack 'play' this bracket does, and no movement at all happens at the clutch end.

The problem this kit solves is the free play at the top of the clutch - Honda installed an adjuster at the factory working the same way this bracket does, but for some reason Rover did not.

This kit will not affect clutch operation and purely takes up free play, and will NOT apply any actuation to the master cylinder, and therefore will not cause any premature clutch wear. The only way this would happen is if the kit was fitted to take up some of the 'harder' pedal travel and not just the free play, which is not recommended!

The input is appreciated Ste, but the kit takes up free play which has NO EFFECT on the clutch at all - just the free pedal travel.

If anyone wants clarification on this feel free to ask. I've made sure this kit doesn't cause any extra wear.

·
Audi S4 500HP
6,659 Posts
I have a pedal stop on mine.
It consists of an exhaust strap held in place with a nut & bolt lol.
Yours sounds a bit more professional :)

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a pedal stop on mine.
It consists of an exhaust strap held in place with a nut & bolt lol.
Yours sounds a bit more professional :)
As long as it does the job :p

Although I'm not on here that much, I'm a bit of a shed enthusiast and I've come up with all kinds of little fixes. Maybe I should make some more, looks like this could really help people!

More development going to be happening this evening, first kits should be ready to ship in a matter of days! Going well :)

Mat

1 - 20 of 59 Posts