MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Love British classics, which in my mind is starting to include a ZS 180. But to point.

What were the relationships and connections between some of the following British classic sports cars:-

Triumph Spitfire
Austin Healey 3000
Austin Sprite
MGB/C/GT
MG Midget
Triumph Herald (the one James May 'sailed'/destroyed on TG)

Was there more which were the same car but with a different badge?

Thanks in advance,
Harvey

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
I cant answer that Harvey but one thing is they are all British:)

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Well I used to own a vittesse, a mk 3 spitfire and served my time on mgb's and c's .The mgc lump is basically the same 6cyl in line set up as the Healey 3000.Healey was to Austin as were Riley, Wolsely and MG were.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi,

Love British classics, which in my mind is starting to include a ZS 180. But to point.

What were the relationships and connections between some of the following British classic sports cars:-

Triumph Spitfire
Austin Healey 3000
Austin Sprite
MGB/C/GT
MG Midget
Triumph Herald (the one James May 'sailed'/destroyed on TG)

Was there more which were the same car but with a different badge?

Thanks in advance,
Harvey
OK, I'll have a crack!

Midget and Sprite
The Midget and Sprite were the same car, badge-engineered. The Frogeye sprite launched in 58, but in '61 it was replaced with the shape we know as the Midget. I think the Midget launched in 61 too, and was an example of BMC's badge engineering.

MG B et al

The B and GT were the same car, albeit the GT had a fixed roof, and IMO looked prettier than the B. The C featured a very heavy V8 engine, 6 cylinder 'C' series engine, which made the car nose heavy, and to be honest, ruined the handling. It's quite a laid back barge, class car, despite the handling issues.

Spitfire
I think the Spitfire shared quite a bit with the Herald, my knowledge on Triumphs is a little patchy. I do know however that the later Midgets and Spitfire sharedthe same 1500cc engine.

The big Healey I know nothing about, I've sat in one, but that's about it!

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Good effort. The mgc was the 3 litre straight six as found in the austin westminster and healey 3000.The b was a four cylinder 1.8 twin carb.The bgt was coupe version of the roadster.

The triumphs were basically the same chassis with bolt on removable body.They started life i believe as a 1200cc unit then went to 1260 and 1300,for mks 1,2,&3. The latest one, the mk 4, was fitted with a 1500 unit.The vitesse was same as gt6 which was an inline 6 cylinder.The early vitesse was a 1.6 and the later ones and gt6's were 2 litre units.

·
Blue Thunder
101 Posts
G
The triumphs were basically the same chassis with bolt on removable body.They started life i believe as a 1200cc unit then went to 1260 and 1300,for mks 1,2,&3. The latest one, the mk 4, was fitted with a 1500 unit.
Not exactly.

While the Spitfire, GT6, Herald and Vitesse share the central chassis members, the Spitfire and GT6 do not have the outriggers of the Herald and Vitesse - they have 3 piece reinforced sills.

The Spitfire engines were 1147cc (siamesed inlets) developed from the 948cc Standard 10 engine on the MkI and MkII cars.

The Mk III Spitfire had a 1296cc motor with an 8 port head (developed from the Le Mans race cars) which shared the same main bearing journal size as the 1147cc engine (hence these are known as the 'small crank' engines and are the best of the breed).

The MkIV cars had a 1296cc motor but with larger main bearing journals and a crank made of poorer steel (hence these are known as the 'floppy crank' motors).

The Mk V cars (the Spitfire 1500) had a stroked motor of 1493cc. This unit was also fitted to the MG Midget to meet the USA emissions requirements.

Spitfires of Mk's 1 - IV had a 3 rail gearbox, the 1500's had the single rail 'box as fitted to the Dolomite 1850.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
MG B et al

The B and GT were the same car, albeit the GT had a fixed roof, and IMO looked prettier than the B. The C featured a very heavy V8 engine, 6 cylinder 'C' series engine, which made the car nose heavy, and to be honest, ruined the handling. It's quite a laid back barge, class car, despite the handling issues.
AFAIK the MGC only ever had a 3 litre straight six, which was cast iron and quite heavy.

The MGB and GT came with 1.8 b-series iron engines. The BGT was also available with a 3.5 Rover V8 developed from a buik V8 engine which was an aluminium block and so weighs about the same as the 1.8 iron ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts