MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a new PC, a little ITX board with Intel Atom, as a HTPC. It has a SATA hard drive only at the moment - so just a motherboard and HDD in the case!

The HDD was previously used in an external enclosure as a backup drive for my Mac so it is Mac HFS formatted.

I have created a Windows 7 boot USB key to install to the HDD. If I disconnect the HDD the system boots fine off the USB key and the Windows installer starts.

As soon as I connect the HDD, the system hangs after POST.

I've set the boot order in the BIOS to make sure it goes to removable devices first, in case the format of the HDD could be confusing the system, but it's making no difference. The BIOS is recognising the HDD fine.

Any ideas what could be going on!?!?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Possibly the Windows 7 boot usb key is trying to write tempory files to the hdd wen it sees it and cant as its mac formated, get a drive tool boot disk and clean format the HDD first (or connect it to another PC as a slave and see if it will do it).

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibly the Windows 7 boot usb key is trying to write tempory files to the hdd wen it sees it and cant as its mac formated, get a drive tool boot disk and clean format the HDD first (or connect it to another PC as a slave and see if it will do it).
Aha, that sounds very logical :)

When you say drive tool, got any specific ones - ideally free open source :)

Edit: I have one other idea, SATA is supposed to be hot pluggable - so can I connect the HDD after it's booted off USB I wonder?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
There is BARTPE which is almost free, the catch is you have to build it using a windows XP CD, there are probably versions already built online but these are against the rules.

Thats the one I use so cant recomend another, there is a free partition magic type tool that will format or most hard drive manufacturers have a boot CD for free download that is for diagnosing their discs, Western Digital and Seagate do for sure.

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok cheers. There'll be linux image I guess that will do the same.

Pity I've got no optical drives or life would be lot easier, but I'm building this little critter on the cheap and my spare optical drives are IDE - the board is SATA only.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
ok cheers. There'll be linux image I guess that will do the same.

Pity I've got no optical drives or life would be lot easier, but I'm building this little critter on the cheap and my spare optical drives are IDE - the board is SATA only.
You can get little converters for a few quid a go, well worth having around, I have a couple in this PC right now and have used them a lot as most of my equipment is IDE, I only have 1 SATA drive and thats a blu ray and its installed in the only PC I have thats not got Sata!

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can get little converters for a few quid a go, well worth having around, I have a couple in this PC right now and have used them a lot as most of my equipment is IDE, I only have 1 SATA drive and thats a blu ray and its installed in the only PC I have thats not got Sata!
can you convert IDE data cables to SATA then? I knew you could get convertors for the power side of things

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Show offs! Can any of you boffins tell me why windows fails to identify my HD Toshiba Gigashot video camera? It came with Image Mixer 3 & Nero 5 software which worked ok for a while then became unstable. i bought Ulead video studio 11+ but can't get windows to i/d my camera. It does the same in windows movie maker too ?

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Show offs! Can any of you boffins tell me why windows fails to identify my HD Toshiba Gigashot video camera? It came with Image Mixer 3 & Nero 5 software which worked ok for a while then became unstable. i bought Ulead video studio 11+ but can't get windows to i/d my camera. It does the same in windows movie maker too ?
I dunno about that sorry as it's specific to your camera and I don't have the same model.

On my htpc question, it works!! In fact I'm posting this on a 32" TV using the machine and I'm well chuffed with it. Was playing an Avatar HD clip before and it looks stunning. Plus because it's a low power CPU the machine is mega-quiet, in fact I can't even hear it running apart from the HDD heads rattling a little bit.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I've been running a HTPC for a few years now as the main TV, I use mediaportal as the front end and its amazingly stable, the wife and parents use it (when they visit). I thought it would only get used for DVD's and downloads but it gets so much use now that the TV no longer has an ariel connection, its just a monitor for the HTPC.

Cabling up the Conservatory this weekend for Cat5 so I can put a slave in there that will stream TV from the first one so all the recordings can be set up and replayed from either machine. Its also running some building management type stuff to turn the AC on and off via IR to stop it overheating (and getting to cold when winter comes).

Its a slippery slope HTPC's, there is so much they are capable of, they take the time to set up but are worth it in the end I feel.

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get "systemrescue" cd and wipe the drive as a NTFS one;

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

A strong weapon in any IT tech's kit
Cheers mate.

It turned out to be a BIOS setting that was the problem. What happened is I'd set the boot priority to boot removable devices first, then the HDD, which should have worked.

But there was another menu option called 'hard drives' which listed the SATA HDD and the USB key (knew the make and model). I had to swap these two round so the USB key came first.

So it seems with my BIOS there's two options that control the boot order. A bit confusing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts