MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Feb 12th the wife and I were in Cardiff to watch Wales v Scotland.

It wasn't until the Monday 13th that she realised that her phone had gone missing, as in fairness we are only casual users of our mobiles.

Nothing too expensive but a nice few pics etc were on it. Later that day we reported loss to 02 and got the phone and sim blocked.

At this time we thought that she had just lost it

When we received her bill the other day it was about £16 more than normal so I checked it online to find that three seperate calls had been made off it to Romania.

Now I know it must have been stolen from her small shoulder bag.

02 state that I have to pay the extra £16 worth of calls as they were made before we reported it awol which is fair enough.

In the meantime we got a new sim card from 02, a new phone, and kept her original phone number.

The weird thing is, that just before I got home on Monday to contact 02 to challenge payment of the illicit calls, a fella rang my wifes new phone and asked why she had been phoning him????

He also knew her first name and she had not been phoning this guy.

When I did get home I rang 02 about the illicit calls and queried if it is at all possible that there are two phones out there with the same number or something. They confirmed that this is not possible and also confirmed that the number stored for this fella was not contacted from my wifes number.

Now I'm thinking that this guy must be the new owner of the stolen phone or something but how did he get her number and her first name?

Anyone aware of latest scams etc or able to throw any light on this??

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Think I would get a new phone number and ditch the old one.

If its like ours, its only close friends and family that will require the new number.

Dont want to get involved with scum bags.

Didnt lose any keys at the same time as the phone went????

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Her name must be listed on the phone's phonebook somewhere. But I've no idea why he would phone your wife. Either way, I would agree with the previous poster. If you lose your phone, change the number because your mobie number is sometimes used to identify you by banks, creditcard companies etc. It's one of the verification questions they sometimes ask you when you ring them up. It's a nasty business. I lost my own phone a while back and even though I had the phone blocked I hate the thought of someone else having access to my contacts.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No nothing else stolen but I have his phone number stored just in case. When I saw the International dialing code I began taking bets that it was Romania. After all this country allows all those skilled workers of theirs in here!

I recall a family we used to deal with that used to put their kids into the pubs to do a walk through and to lift anything off the tables that they could lay their theiving little mits on. Couldn't process them as they were all below the age of criminal responsibility.

Scum like this has taken the Great out of Britain.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Few years back the boss had his mobile cloned, we didnt know till Vodaphone called asking if he was calling odd numbers that he didnt normally use. Jumped from £200 to £2000, when I got the bill I rung one of the numbers, was somewhere in Turkey.

Always someone doing fiddles.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
No nothing else stolen but I have his phone number stored just in case. When I saw the International dialing code I began taking bets that it was Romania. After all this country allows all those skilled workers of theirs in here!

I recall a family we used to deal with that used to put their kids into the pubs to do a walk through and to lift anything off the tables that they could lay their theiving little mits on. Couldn't process them as they were all below the age of criminal responsibility.

Scum like this has taken the Great out of Britain.
I agree with this, Cardiff seems to have become overrun with Romanians recently, and sadly they are responsible for a large rise in petty, and not so petty crime, these people certainly do their more honest countrymen no favours.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I was custody sgt in newport we had a Romainian teenage girl locked up for shoplifting. Only 14yrs old. She lied through her back teeth about who she was. Her father then turned up at the enquiry office and he too spun the same lies. We had already identified her on fingerprints as a different person. You should have seen my face when her rather short and rotund mother came in for the interview!!

She waddled past my elevated counter and it was then I saw the huge Union Jack and the logo Great Britain on the rear of her royal blue fleece. Well that did it for me.

Also had interpreter present, and a solicitor once mam realised they too were free, plus the initial enquiries via language line at around £12 per minute.

·
Registered
795 Posts
@The latest Romanian scam is to park up on motorway slip roads (usually in German registered BMWs) and then flag people down saying they have run out of petrol. People are stupid enough to give them money (a woman yesterday gave them £40, then phoned us when they drove off and went straight past the petrol station!) and sometimes in return get cheap jewellery.
I dealt with one such case and as soon as he said he was out of petrol I arranged recovery to get him off the motorway which cost him £150!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
@The latest Romanian scam is to park up on motorway slip roads (usually in German registered BMWs) and then flag people down saying they have run out of petrol. People are stupid enough to give them money (a woman yesterday gave them £40, then phoned us when they drove off and went straight past the petrol station!) and sometimes in return get cheap jewellery.
I dealt with one such case and as soon as he said he was out of petrol I arranged recovery to get him off the motorway which cost him £150!
Hells teeth, talk about having some brass neck, they'll try anything to scam money:lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts