MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replying to Kev on the "Indian takeaway" thread reminded me of this little gem of a link.
OK, so this is now part of IVECO, but it seems that the "Leyland" badge is so revered out there, they cannot change a thing, and have even badged the IVECO cargos as Leylands! And any truck freaks can wallow in happiness knowing that all the old names so dear (Bison, Buffalo, SuperComet et al) still linger on.....

http://www.ashokleyland.com/

G

·
Just had a quick look - wondered where the Ashok name came from. Seen trucks/buses in Cyprus, Middle East and India with that badge. Confusing seeing Ford Cargo's wearing a Leyland badge. Where's the finance and why Leyland?

During my teens my father worked for Wilkinson Transport, later Lex. I remember seeing Commer - Dodge - Austin Noddy - Morris - Ford - AEC - ERF - Foden - Scammel - Bedford - where are they all now? :(

Also, scowled at Scania Vabis - Volvo and Mann getting in the way.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Leyland badge was absorbed into the Ashook orginistation. When they became part of IVECO, the Leyland badge remained on new products, such as the Cargo as the Leyland name is so revered across the sub-continent.

Where are they now? Well.....
Commer...last seen on the PB or "Spacevan", until that was renamed a Dodge in the late 70's. Part of the Rootes group (does anyone remember those noisy two-stroke trucks), along with DODGE, until it was sold to Chrysler, and then Renault trucks, who closed the Dunstable and Kew Plants in 1986.
Austin/Morris trucks were built at Bathgate. Midlothian, until the Trucks were rationalised into Leylands, and SCAMMELL was part of this empire, until the famous Watford plant was closed by Volvo upon their takeover. Many of those Scammells were designed by Michellotti.
And up the road at BEDFORD, (which were made at Luton) after GM pulled out of truck and bus production in 1987, in favour of light vans, the tooling for the TK/TL/TM series passed to a company called AWD who continued production, until they hit difficulties. It then passed to a company called Marshalls of Cambridge, who carried on manufacturing the range for export to India and Pakistan, where Bedfords are still very popular. This explains why it is possible to see very recent Bedfords on the roads here as well Marshalls decided to concentrate on their aerospace and car retail business and put the tooling up for sale around 2 years ago.
AEC were ultimately part of Leyland, and their own works at Southall closed in 1979. FORD's nearby plant at Langley, nr Slough was closed by IVECO in 1997.

G

·
:mad: Dave - thanks for that potted history of the decline of the once-great UK lorry industry. I too remember all of the names mentioned and get a bit p****d off when I see the amount of foreign-made trucks trundling up and down the motorways - and to think that they were once the exception, not the rule.

One point you might know about: LDV in Birmingham.

I do recall reading that they were looking to co-produce a new van with Daewoo but that idea bit the dust when Daewoo went bankrupt. Are they on their own likr MG-R or have they teamed up with anyone else? Surely they must need a new van range soon as the Pilot - correct me if I'm wrong - dates back to the Sherpa of 1975.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a little potted history of LDV here,
http://www.xpower-mg.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=20

And indeed there was a Daewoo link. Actually, the Daewoo model of this relationship will go on sale here soon, known as the Arvia, built in Poland at the old FSM plant, with a Euro 3 Cummins engine.
AFAIK LDV have no dialogue with any other manufacturer now, so It looks like those old models, albeit heavily re-enginnered, will soldier on well into the future.
Those designs actually pre date the Sherpa! The back panels, dimensions, drivetrains can easily be traced back to the old forward control J2/J4/JU of the 60's and 70's!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts