MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate telling people bad news but I had my kenwood cd player stolen from my zr on Friday.

The thieving ******** broke the triangular window of the back door, reached in and wound the rear window down. Climbed into the car and took the whole job lot.

Since having the car I have thought that should any windows or doors be opened whilst the alarm is on that this should trigger the alarm. Unfortunately it didnt/doesnt.

When I returned home and looked through the handbook it states that there is an interior protection sensor but this isnt fitted to my car as standard.

Luckily the insurance company are fixing the centre console of the dashboard, replacing the broken glass and providing a new cd player.
I am also looking into getting an uprated alarm system because I have lost confidence in the current one installed.

I thought I should mention this just in case anyone else is confident that their car is secure, yet it appears that although your car is locked and immobilised people can get inside your car without triggering your alarm and therefore be unnoticed.

:(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry to here about your loss, some people just have no morals. You would think that your dealer would have pointed out the fact that your Model had no interior protection. Neway I will say that the sensors fitted on my 160 + are great, if I so much as leave the window open just a crack the alarm goes off. The interior sensors work very well, so you may find it cheaper to just have the optional sensors fitted. Unfortunatley no matter how much protection you have on your car there is always some git out there that knows how to circumvent it :(

·
Registered
515 Posts
security

Am sorry to hear of your loss

I think the chopping off of hands plus tatoos on the forhead for all theiving SCUM that are caught should be mandatory.

As far as alarms go.......

Ive now got :-

1. The standard MG alarm (CAT2)
2. A CAT 1 alarm immobiliser with sense and tell
3. Steering wheel lock
4. TOAD Sercurfix (almost unbreakable)window film).

And what did i learn from the large outlay in cash...........

It will make no difference, if someone wants to take or steal from you its gonna happen. Unless, of course you sit in your car day and night and wait for them.

Keep smiling, and take your face panel off the stereo

:beerchug

·
Registered
567 Posts
I totally agree. When the old bill catch the theives, they give them a few hours community service and thats it. They should be locked up with the key thrown away!!! I know it seems extreme but breaking into a car which belongs to someone, is like the crook invading that persons personal belongings!

Carpboy, where did you get all your security equipement??? I need to know that my Rover 200 is secure as it's built exactly like the ZR. Also how much did it all come to???

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
For whatever reason, interior volumetric protection is only fitted as standard to the 160. However, note that some manufacturers have stopped providing alarms at all. I know Citroen's C5 comes with no alarm! They say no point. Ignored anyway.

·
Registered
515 Posts
equipment

I went to TOAD install (sextons)_ Maidstone

Windows -- 250
Alarm with sense and tell ( well it chirps bl**dy loud when you get too close -- 400
Steering wheel lock -- £50

i still worry though...mind you.....they will have to Tow the damn thing away.

Also, am currently having near side door handle sprayed up (from a 5door) to replace my drivers door handle ---- NO LOCKS -- no pri-ins

G

·
I have a sense & tell alarm on my 160 £200 I use it whilst it,s parked on the drive at night I got it because I,d rather stop them before they cause the damage in the first place.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Matt.I don't think it is that people don't want to pinch them. Some people will pinch ANYTHING!!!

The C5 I have just had as a hire car for 2 weeks with 1500 miles on the clock had a new and impressive alarm system. read on:

After leaving the car for a few days, it will not start at all as this "alarm" flattens the battery so much as to not even operate the contral locking, rendering the vehicle useless to even the owner - impressive huh - but the best is still to come.

When you try and jump it, they have cleverly labelled the positive battery terminal with a black plastic cap and the negative with green!!

Excellent, so when you try and jump it you blow the electrics in both cars putting around 24 volt into them!!!

Some car makers think of everything don't they!!! :D

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Seems the Citroen dealer fed me a pack of lies about the alarm system then on the C5. I stand corrected.

My father's been a Jag man for about 10 years or so now and I remember on his second, the "new shape" XJ6 (prior to the V8 XJ8 being released), the owner's manual went on in depth about the alarm system. Rather like the C5, if the car was locked using the remote (and the alarm activated) then provided there was no further use of the car, every 5 days or so part of the system would shut down to conserve battery power. After a week, the remote antennae circuit would shut down meaning you had to physically turn the key in the lock (Jag drivers can't do that!). Then a few days later the ultrasonic interior protection switched off. Then the vehicle tilt sensor went off. Then the perimetric sensing decided to down tools as well. So if you went away on holiday for 3 weeks and left your car alarmed, chances are the security system would have deactivated but you would at least still be able to start your £35,000 car...just!

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Tricky...I'm a bit out of touch with the Kenwood ICE options as the bog standard radio/cassette that came with my Zed, I gave to my bro and I put in a Sony head unit and CD autochanger from a previous car. But did your CD player not have a removable fascia? If so, and you left it on when leaving your car unattended, I'm sorry to say you got what was coming to you.

Behind my office, in a leafy but slightly dodgy area of Preston, is a car park famously patrolled by young kids with nowt else to do but steal things. My Dad's had so any broken quarterlights you wouldn't believe. But he always leaves things on display...mobile phones, jackets, maps, shopping bags.

NEVER LEAVE ANYTHING ON DISPLAY, not even an A to Z. Some pi55ed up cun7 with nothing else to do will happily put a brick thru your window just for a laugh. Don't do anything to attract them to your own car.

Society should teach youngsters to have more respect for other's property but it doesn't. The Police should work harder and better to catch petty thieves but they don't. Like it or lump it, it's the world we've made for ourselves.

Now, where's my emigration papers!

F

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
With a car like a ZR it's difficult not to attract attention to it - its looks speak for itself....

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
FFCPHONE,

Re read my post about the Citroen.

I don't know whether it had an alarm or not.

I was just slagging it cos it basically left me stranded and led to me missing a ferry through cack design/bad Frog electrics.

Matt.

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Matt. The Citroen dealer told me that the C5 did not come with an alarm as Citroen had done some research saying that people ignored alarms anyway so they no longer served any use whatsoever and that Citroen were concentrating on immobilisers and deadlocks.

But yeah, I read your post. I went on to explain some of the similarly well designed electronics in early Jags - great idea isn't it...put alarm on...flatten battery!

F

·
Registered
68 Posts
mine too...

just to make you feel better tricky, mine was done last week. front wasnt on but they took it anyway! so that wont stop them. They only broke the quarter light, i guess thats the advantage of the 5dr, the smashed the pasenger front window on mine, still finding glass in places i didnt know existed a week on!

i went straight out and book it in the Autotek in Sheffield for an alarm upgrade, they had it all day friday trying all sorts of things including the "volumetric" type system fitted to the 160s. Eventually they found a set of sonics that worked even better. Even though they were "playing" with the set up all day (10am-4pm aprox) they charged my the grand total of...£60!

The guy in the showroom said that they were getting lots of newer rovers/mgs wanting alarm upgrades for the same reason, the alarm is pants and the theving doowops know it. Just dont leave it where you cant keep having a quick look

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
It's something which MGR should address this alarm problem. The Zed range is infinitely more attractive in external styling and therefore draws attention to itself much more easily, despite if you park it somewhere well lit, away from this and that, etc.

Why the fcuk is it that the 160 comes with full volumetric protection and the rest only come with perimetric?

Anyone know what the upgrade cost is for the official MGR job?

Smacks of cutting costs at the expense of security and driver peace of mind.

Mind you, the couple of guys on here with break ins would probably have had the break ins whether they had a £3,000 stun gun star trek system or nothing at all. More often than not it's the thieving ba5tard5 which need sorting out not the alarm systems on cars!

F

·
Registered
567 Posts
I know MG charge £150 inclusive of VAT for the upgrade to Volumetric. I just spoke to my MG dealer and he said they would do the lot for £175! At that price, i'll probably upgrade mine!!!!

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Ask yourself this...upgrading the standard alarm or fitting a whole new system is gonna cost £200+ (as a ball park figure).

What are you actually gonna achieve?

Will the scum of the earth leave your car alone now because you got a better alarm? I think not.

Will your car be less attractive to vandalism as a result of having a better alarm? I think not.

Short of enclosing the car in a steel box when you park it, there's not much you can do except use common sense. Don't park in dimly lit back streets. Don't leave anything on view including stereos.

As above, even a stereo with front plate removed does ****** all to deter thieves. Even if Chris had had a better alarm system at the time, I'd put money on his quarterlight still being smashed and his Kenwood still gone. Only difference is the alarm would have gone off but it takes less than 10 seconds to get a radio out. (I timed myself the other day. With the Sony "key" available no doubt everywhere, from opening the driver's door to getting the head unit out and being away from the car took me 13 seconds. Even with an alarm ringing wouldn't cause problems for the thief.)

Bottom line is better alarm only helps your peace of mind. If someone can find me some hard evidence to suggest actual reductions in car crime then I'll buy it. Otherwise we're lashing out dosh for little benefit, IMHO.

F

·
Registered
567 Posts
You've gotta point mate! The thief doesn't care what alarm your car has got, all he wants is the radio! It just means that if they try breaking the glass, the alarm would be set off. If they tried doing it in your street, it would help, as you'be on to it as quick as they broke the glass!!!

I'm with you! Don't see the point of upgrading now! These MG should have Double locks and Plastic film over the glass to prevent it from being smashed. This would help in some way!

It's too easy at the moment!!!!

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Question - what does it help if you hear your alarm/ see someone breaking into your car in your street?

OK, if you chase after them, they may scare and run off to an easier target. However, the other possiblity is they may come after you with knife/crowbar or whatever..

Cars/radios are mendable/replaceable. Your life isn't.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts