MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
zs :)
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got a backbox for sale i wanna upgrade but dont really wanna spend £100's on a cosmetic! and was thinking if someone wanted to get rid of one would be 2 birds and 1 stone :)
P.s the reason for upgrade is..... i went to the local tyre and exhaust place and left it with them only to come back to find the burning gear alight under my car ! they ended up blowing hole in the back box flange :( and filled it with exhaust filler and said it was fine and nothing wrong ! plus i just feel like an upgrade and abit more noise ! LOL
cheers
Cuzzy

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I bought a cheap ebay box, you need to keep the bit of pipe from the mid box to just before the axle but its cheap and stainless. Now a year later my flange between the id box and rear box has rotted out so this weekend I am going to cut it out and join the 2 pipes with a sleve.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aww thats kool! good idea! i think i might be able to get a flange made at work using oxyacetylene burning gear ! when i get one done im sure i could get 2 and send u one if u would like buddy! i should be taking mine off next week and ill get the dimentions and make a drawing for the machine to cut it :)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
aww thats kool! good idea! i think i might be able to get a flange made at work using oxyacetylene burning gear ! when i get one done im sure i could get 2 and send u one if u would like buddy! i should be taking mine off next week and ill get the dimentions and make a drawing for the machine to cut it :)
Cheers but I'm on it today and the car is now 'flangeless'. I bought a length of 2.25 inch tube and cut the flange off and sleved the joint, it was criminal that the rest of the mid pipe was in such good shape but the flange to the rear box was rotten, I think its because the water in the exhaust pools there as it cant get over the axle hump at low speed use.

Also my advice about the cheap ebay box was made in all good faith but I have found now the flexi is in tatters after only 12-18 months (cant remember) so I am having to make up a little link pipe to replace that, perhaps the old addage of buy cheap buy twice is very apt, if I were not able to weld I would now be without a car until I could buy a replacement.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers but I'm on it today and the car is now 'flangeless'. I bought a length of 2.25 inch tube and cut the flange off and sleved the joint, it was criminal that the rest of the mid pipe was in such good shape but the flange to the rear box was rotten, I think its because the water in the exhaust pools there as it cant get over the axle hump at low speed use.

Also my advice about the cheap ebay box was made in all good faith but I have found now the flexi is in tatters after only 12-18 months (cant remember) so I am having to make up a little link pipe to replace that, perhaps the old addage of buy cheap buy twice is very apt, if I were not able to weld I would now be without a car until I could buy a replacement.
Yea mate i see what u mean ! sound like u've done a good job tho ! i think i might have to save u and "Bite the Bullet", or just weld up what i've got !
yea i agree on the old axle hump gathering of water! just seems to rot through there first every time ! and most of my driving is around town although i do take it for a blast every now and again :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts