MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys i know this is a common problem my srs light has been on since buying the car. Iv looked it up on here, but after disconnecting the yellow connector and cleaning them the srs light is still on. what else can I do to get this light to go out without simply removing the bulb? any advice would be much appreciated.

D

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
There could well be a fault with the rotary coupler in the steering wheel that is causing the light to come on. Just remember that whilst the SRS light is illuminated then the system is disabled.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Sprayed mine with WD40, shook the connector up and its been fine. Give it another try as my one needed a few pulls and pushes.

:wave:

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
There could well be a fault with the rotary coupler in the steering wheel that is causing the light to come on. Just remember that whilst the SRS light is illuminated then the system is disabled.
I'm not sure this is correct, I had an accident when I'm pretty sure my SRS light was on, my seat side impact airbag was deployed . . .

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
I'm not sure this is correct, I had an accident when I'm pretty sure my SRS light was on, my seat side impact airbag was deployed . . .
I'm only repeating what has been said previously on the forum. I wouldn't personally have a clue.:sofa:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well at least there is a chance the bags will deploy, iv messed around with these connectors a few times now, iv heard there is away of resetting the system, does anyone how to do this?

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
I'm only repeating what has been said previously on the forum. I wouldn't personally have a clue.:sofa:
:D yeah I know, not having a go . . . I have seen it written elsewhere also, just my personal experience suggests otherwise, of course it could have been that at the time of my accident the SRS light happened to be off . . . but it had been on for a couple of weeks before the accident.

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Well at least there is a chance the bags will deploy, iv messed around with these connectors a few times now, iv heard there is away of resetting the system, does anyone how to do this?
You need a diagnostics thingy, T4 ? to reset the fault codes . . . I've had it done before.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
You need a diagnostics thingy, T4 ? to reset the fault codes . . . I've had it done before.
I don't think it needs to be connected to diagnostics to turn light off, mine used to go out once the connectors were sorted out.

I gave up with connections under my seat as they were going off regularly, soldered the connections and been 100% cured since.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's the connector under the passenger seat in mine....

Every couple of years I disconnect the plug - spray it with wd40 - plug it back together and away the light goes :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
iv given it ago a few times now, just tried it again, no luck...... was thinking of cutting the connector out and just wiring them together.....? if this doesnt work then a trip to the garage. before i do this though im sure there is away of using a paper clip to reset the system, i read it on here somewhere but now i cant find it? eeesshhh

·
Flying the Flag
212 Posts
Here's the steps required:

Resetting The Dashboard SRS Light

Contrary to popular belief, the dashboard SRS light CAN be reset without the need for a Rover dealer! All that is needed is a paperclip.
Directly under the steering wheel, just under the bottom of the dashboard and above the pedals, there should be a wide grey connector.

A few inches towards the driver’s door from this, there should be a horizontal 2-pin yellow connector (with nothing connected to it).

Bend the paperclip into a u-shape, and push the ends into the 2-pin yellow connector (shorting the pins).

Turn on the ignition, and the SRS light should illuminate for a few seconds and then go out.

Now pull out the paperclip (but not completely out), breaking the link.

After a couple more seconds, the SRS light should illuminate again.

Now push the paperclip back in, making the link again.

After a couple of seconds, the SRS light should blink twice.

Remove the paperclip, and then switch off the ignition.

That resets the SRS system and next time you start the car, the lamp should be off.

The above all needs to be carried out fairly quickly as you only get a few seconds between each step.

Note:
Because you can't see the yellow connector and the SRS light at the same time, it's really a two-person job.

Important:
Obviously this only applies if there is no fault! If there is a fault, the light will illuminate again and will therefore need to be looked at by a Rover dealer.
There's a more visual guide here:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=308198
The principles are the same even though its not a MGR.

Alex

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I managed to find the grey connector under the dash but cant find the yellow connector for the life of me. ..... if anyone could find the time to have a look to see if its visible in your motor it would be appreciated. iv looked to see if its taped down anywhere but doesnt seem to be... wondering if the mk2 doesnt have this or if its in a different position? cheers D

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
Mentioned this on another on another thread, we have swapped my original Mk1
ZS seats for a set of later seats (blue Alcantara) and the yellow connectors are different, so you can't just plug in a newer set of seats. We have yet to resolve this problem, so at the moment the SRS light is on permanently!

Kelv

·
MG ZS 180 MKI
3,364 Posts
I had this problem with a mates car, Fixed mine with no problems and my mates was a little more of a pain in the rear lol. All I can advise is to keep trying it. Keep with the WD40 and give it a good soaking and fiddle with the wires and see if that helps? I got it to work in the end but then 3 months later it was back again so guessing there is a problem with the cables in my mates car so keep playing with it and it should clear and work.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
if the wd40 doesnt work try cutting off the connector and soldering the wires together and if it stays on you know theres a fault else where. Did this on my 200 as the seat used to get moved alot being a shared car and that sorted it.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Same here, mine just comes on when it feels like it, every now and then, yes just stick with it and keep trying the WD40 trick, it should sort itself out in the end, and a very good idea to try the above as James has said.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts