MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was happily pootling along at 45 mph in a 40 zone this afternoon on my way to the hairdresser's, cars overtaking me at 60 mph on the way home.

(This is a big, wide, brand new dual carriage way we're talking about here and personally I think it should be a 50 limit or it shouldn't be so big and wide.)

Anyway, all of a sudden on a traffic island on the left hand side of the road, at a junction with traffic lights, I notice a man in a yellow reflective vest with a hand held gun, pointing it at the front of my car! I didn't notice any police cars around - there may well have been one, but I was the slowest thing on the road as everything had already sped past me!

Now I am worried that I've been caught speeding at about 5 mph over the posted limit. I have only had my license 6 months and know that if I have been caught and I get caught again, I'll lose my license.

How do these hand held guns work anyway? I didn't see it flash and from what I've read, this type do not even take pictures and it is up to the operator whether to stop you or not - as he was on foot, that might have been a tad difficult and as I said, I didn't notice any police cars either....

Please put me out of my misery and tell me if they take pictures or not!!!!

·
Longbridge !
3,306 Posts
Ive had that done before I aproached a bridge in a 30 zone at about 45ish and slowed slightly at the other side as I got to the bottom a copper was there with a gun. Nothing happened and it was even close to a school crossing.

·
Longbridge !
3,306 Posts
I thought new regulations stated that even a copper with a gun had to be placed within a good viewing distance and to be well marked including signage stating speed check on the approach ?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was certainly no signage and I've been panicking about it since yesterday!

There was only one bloke and I didn't notice any police cars, so how they'd stop you, I don't know!

I thought if they were to convict you, there needed to be two of them anyway - one to check the speed and one to witness it.

I was also under the impression that if you are caught by a handheld (unless it's a gatso that takes pictures) then they have to pull you over on the spot or let you go.

Just hope I've been lucky - the cut off for a 40 limit is 46mph before they can fine you and endorse your license. Found that out on a useful website on speed cameras/offenses etc!
I'm sure I was only doing 45 anyway!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The hand held speed guns can be connected to cameras and computers and are completely portable but the chances are that this particular gun wasn't connected to a camera. You do not need to be stopped in this type of situation, you can be dealt with by way of post as per camera offences. There is no requirement for two officers to be present for coroberation purposes ( unless your in Scotland). If your speed was only 5 mph over the limit then I wouldn't worry too much about it( I know thats easy for me to say!) Another possibility is that the person was carrying out speed checks for traffic management/statistical purposes as this is a new road.

G

·
Even more horrible stuff are specs.

For the full low down on how we are being hounded by "HM Government" go to this site Speed trap bible Did we win the war (WWII), to endure Blairs "Big Brother" approach? :D

Time we all took some action - why have these things on motorways and straight pieces of road??? Bown and Blair make my skin crawl.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I wish the government spent as much money on technology to beat street crime as they do on catching speeding motorists on some off the safest roads in europe.
I had my phone robbed out the car in a petrol station in wapping -didn't bother reporting it ,cos whats the point-they dont bother with REAL crime.
What really got me goat the other day was a speed camera hidden behind a bridge support on the M11,it was painted yellow-if that aint taking the piss i dont know what is.

kev

1 - 11 of 11 Posts