MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have come across a site tht tells u the location of speed cameras (mainly in central England) and also the different types...i am not going to post here(unless authorised to do so) if u want the URL drop me a line and i will post it to ya. :type:

G

·
Post now!

Bravo

Post away - post all urls on this subject - I think I have a couple on the links page. This is a disease that we need to know how to cure.

Also, equipment on how to detect cameras is desirable.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
I know of a couple of such sites. One of them regularly e-mails updates.

;) ;) ;)

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Speed Camera locations

I don't know if you realise this but it is a legal requirement that the locations of all fixed cameras is in the public domain, be it on websites, hidden away in some publication at your local library, etc.

The Association of British Drivers has an excellent website which links to various sites covering the UK. But in general, each county will have their own road safety website listing both existing and proposed new locations. For example, in my own area, the Lancashire Road Safety Partnership have come up with the ratehr sickenly entitled www.safe2travel.co.uk which lists sites. It also attempts to justify the dramatic rise in numbers.

The ABD site presents a compelling argument against speed cameras which it submitted to the Government. It suggests raising motorway speed limits to 80mph and beyond in certain areas.

But anyway, the point was all speed camera locations are somewhere so you really have no excuse!

P.S. Don't know what effect, if any, the recent DoT ruling about speed cameras is going to have.

P.P.S. I'm not connected with ABD either!

F

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Speed Camera detection

Posted lengthy article somewhere else on this BBS a while ago. But a summary follows:-

Fixed Gatsos exist in 2 formats at present. (1) Radar based (detectable) and (2) new inductance loop based (non detectable).

Radar detectors seem to offer limited advance warning of Gatsos because they all point away from the motorist. Detectors work on the principle that oncoming vehicles, buildings, etc will reflect back radar towards you and your detector. In a large open area with no traffic already in the "zone" you might get hardly any notice. Decent detectors with some success seem to be £3/400.

SPECS (SPeed Enforcement Camera System) uses new digital technology. These are almost always cited above the road. A standard CCTV camera is surrounded on each side by an infra red flash. They are not as obvious as grey box Gatsos and, as such, the UK motorist isn't really aware of them yet. Midlands and London-based at moment. Not seen any in Lancs yet. SPECS cameras always occur in pairs...usually about a quarter of mile apart. The system scans EVERY SINGLE CAR that passes (apparently can do up to 60 a second) and a computer algorithym hunts out your number plate. The time you passed camera 1 is noted. Then, further down the road, camera 2 scans the road again. When your number plate is spotted your time is noted. The system then works out the time it took you to cover the known distance and if it results in a speed violation, a signal is sent to a ticket issuing system and it's printed out, put in an envelope and waiting to be mailed before you are a mile further on! Again, this system is non-detectable.

Mobile police speed guns use Laser to fire a signal towards you. It bounces back and the reflected signal will be anti-phase now and the gun detects the new signal and works out how fast you are going. Certain Laser detectors do exist but when they start bleeping at you, it's too late. You've just been got! However, Laser diffusers can be bought (£2/300) but these are illegal as they are stopping the police from carrying out their law enforcement duties. In essence, they are cited in your grill and when they detect a police Laser, they fire back a signal using a very high frequency crystal to produce a faster wave than the Police's own. The signal "jams" the laser unit and the Police don't get a reading. You then get time to slow down. However, due to the nature of the high frequency crystal which gets very hot in the process, there's usually a requirement for a "rest" period of a few minutes in between each "shot" fired.

Finally, GPS based systems such as Origin Blue I and Morpheous Geodyssey exist. These store locations of fixed camera sites in a central database which is updated both by the company and by users of the system noting down new sites when they pass them. These are around the £400 mark but are only as good as their databases!

So basically, you need to spend best part of 2 grand to get one of each type of detector!

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Many Police forces are now publishing locations of their cameras on their web sites.

The Speed Trap Bible lists all the police web sites and regularly e-mails updates to people.
:)

G

·
Links

There maybe more links but these are the ones I know of:

#1: http://www.ukgatsos.com
#2: http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

Good precis form Findlay.

We can't win, as soon as you get the first detector they bring something else out. I have a Bell 980 and 550 - recommend these to anyone though. Unfortunately it doesn't pick up the digital Specs stuff - should get a Morpheous Geodyssey to supplement the Bel.

For a cheapish Bell 550 - visit this site: http://www.torqueic.com

Finally, I also have a Laser diffusers, but haven't the courage to use it! :shake: Did for a couple of months in the EVO. Should re-install it - as it makes you feel good. :D

Watch out Credit Bill.

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Jerry...decent laser diffusers look like a generic transponder box under your bonnet. Apparently the better models can be programmed to open electric garage doors too so that if Plod does pull you, claim it's simply a garage opener, let them follow you home, show em it works and watch their red faces! Luckily, I do have an electric garage door so if ever I did go down that route, at least I have a possible alibi!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts